Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo-Loading XXXIV

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 03:47 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Carbo-Loading XXXIV

This is a tricky one, moving from III to IV, better get it going before @TrojanHorse tries to set it up!
Old 02-01-18, 03:48 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Congratulations are in order! What's the little guy's name? Hope he gets out of NICU quickly and is healthy!
Moved to the new thread. His name is Matthew. Thanks for the good wishes!
Old 02-01-18, 04:07 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yes! Congrats!
Old 02-01-18, 06:35 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Moved to the new thread. His name is Matthew. Thanks for the good wishes!

I don't know why I like hearing what folks chose as names. I have a friend who named her second boy Henry Aaron and they call him Hank.

So will be sending little Matthew my thoughts and prayers for getting out of NICU and home with mommy and daddy.
Old 02-01-18, 06:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Today I learned what happens when you cut daily calories by 1/2 for a full week, then try to pop out and ride a metric century. Like riding through water. Add to that a soft headwind for pretty much the whole day and I'm more tired than I thought I would be, considering the level of effort I bothered to put into it.

Also, first ride with a chest-strap HRM. It's not so bad. I didn't notice it most of the time, and really like how quickly it tracks changes in HR-- there's like zero lag. I still wish I could be using a watch type, but MIO discontinued the Link/Velo, the Scosche is getting worse reviews by the day, and the Polar is unconscionably expensive. So
it will be the soft strap Garmin for the time being, at least. No weird HR spikes in a 4-hour ride, thanks most likely to the fact that it was 85º and I sweat my way through almost 4 bottles of water.

Dead of winter, right?
Old 02-01-18, 07:32 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Today I learned what happens when you cut daily calories by 1/2 for a full week, then try to pop out and ride a metric century. Like riding through water. Add to that a soft headwind for pretty much the whole day and I'm more tired than I thought I would be, considering the level of effort I bothered to put into it.
That describes many of my rides. Like I am perpetually bonked. But I give you a lot of credit for getting a metric century done.
Old 02-01-18, 07:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Worse than the wind and no fuel, the headphone battery died about 30 miles in, so I was alone with my thoughts for a solid 2 hours. That's not a good place.
Old 02-01-18, 10:57 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts

Also, first ride with a chest-strap HRM. It's not so bad. I didn't notice it most of the time, and really like how quickly it tracks changes in HR-- there's like zero lag. I still wish I could be using a watch type, but MIO discontinued the Link/Velo, the Scosche is getting worse reviews by the day, and the Polar is unconscionably expensive. So
it will be the soft strap Garmin for the time being, at least. No weird HR spikes in a 4-hour ride, thanks most likely to the fact that it was 85º and I sweat my way through almost 4 bottles of water.

Dead of winter, right?
Sounds like my century ride attempt the other day, felt like a pool noodle for the first 4 hours then finished strong.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-02-18, 08:13 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I like the chest HRMs ... even have had success with Polar, though it's a bit finicky with Zwift these days.

And I personally like being alone with my thoughts while I ride ... I think more clearly on the bike than I do at my desk or elsewhere.
Old 02-02-18, 01:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I don't know why I like hearing what folks chose as names. I have a friend who named her second boy Henry Aaron and they call him Hank.
That's cool. But I find so often nowadays parents get a little too creative. I guess I'm just an old grouch now, but I find myself all the time running into people with weird names, or bizarre spellings of names, and thinking (or saying!) "If that were my name, I'd change it" legally change it to make it right.

There's a guy I work with named Markcus. Look closely, not Marcus, not Markus, not even Marckus, but MarKCus. SPELLING -- you're doing it wrong!
Old 02-02-18, 02:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Hills not too steep to ride up, but waaaaay too steep to ride down. I mean, I did take some wrong turns. But you could do worse for a view.

Old 02-02-18, 03:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Hills not too steep to ride up, but waaaaay too steep to ride down.
That exists? If a hill gets so gnarly that I have to dismount and walk it down, there's no way I could ride back up it
Old 02-02-18, 03:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah, I'm on Hutchinson Overides-- which did remarkably well considering what they are. But going up the singletracks, I had to stay seated to keep weight on the rear tire. I had a couple instances where I could feel the rear kinda "overspinning" but the bike still felt really planted. But some of the downgrades, gravity would shift all of my weight forward, and I felt the rear tire lifting off of the ground more than once. That's when I started walking.
Old 02-02-18, 04:10 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
looks FUN!!!
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-04-18, 01:42 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's cool. But I find so often nowadays parents get a little too creative. I guess I'm just an old grouch now, but I find myself all the time running into people with weird names, or bizarre spellings of names, and thinking (or saying!) "If that were my name, I'd change it" legally change it to make it right.

There's a guy I work with named Markcus. Look closely, not Marcus, not Markus, not even Marckus, but MarKCus. SPELLING -- you're doing it wrong!
At least it wasn't Plaxico or D'Brickashaw
Old 02-04-18, 02:41 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Old 02-04-18, 09:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Con-sis-ten-cy!

And I've had my saddle(s) too low for weeks, so I have a wonderful, persistent soreness in my quads. I raised my saddle a full half inch today, and it felt a good bit better. How long it will take to recover from this I have no idea.
Old 02-04-18, 09:27 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
And I've had my saddle(s) too low for weeks, so I have a wonderful, persistent soreness in my quads. I raised my saddle a full half inch today, and it felt a good bit better.
I came to the same realization in the middle of my FTP test, but trying to stop and fix it would have screwed up the results.
Old 02-04-18, 09:32 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

During my last attempted FTP debacle, my FD decided to stop shifting out of the small ring. It had never done it before, and it has never done it since. But for about 15 minutes, I was trapped in the 36T.
Old 02-05-18, 10:30 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I did 100 miles on the trainer yesterday. It sucked and I cannot imagine ever wanting to do that again.
Old 02-05-18, 10:40 AM
jimincalif

OMG, I cannot imagine more than an hour on a trainer! Well done, but hopefully your next century is outdoors. You're doing Palm Springs IIRC? I'm not, but that should be a piece of cake for you compared to doing it on a trainer.
Old 02-05-18, 12:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Q: Your team just won the Super Bowl. What are you going to do?
A: Eat horse poop.
Old 02-05-18, 12:17 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
So... hit the road once again for yet another trip to Oceanside (Breakwater has Todos Santos on tap again! Motivation is powerful)

We started in Corona and one of the participants said - btw, there is no train service from Oceanside today (only from Laguna)- there's a bus leaving at 2:50 to Laguna instead of a train, and there's no late bus, just the one.

OK, challenge accepted.

Then Vic decides to have THREE FLATS IN ONE RIDE! The last one past San Onofre and I started campaigning to turn around, eat lunch in San Clemente and then we could ride to Laguna but against all the odds, we made it to Oceanside at 1:30pm, which was not really enough time to have two beers and order a sandwich to go, but we did it anyway.

Then the bus was late. Actually, it never showed up.

Then two buses showed up at the same time close to 4pm.... these buses have two bike rack spots on the front of the bus and there were three of us and assorted other random cyclists. So we nonchalantly walked our bikes onto the bus and the driver about had a heart attack - "Oh no you don't!" She said... you'l have to wait for another bus (yeah right!) and WE said no way! We'll miss the train in Laguna and that can't happen. She said "I'll have to call my supervisor" which we knew wouldn't end well. HE said we have to get off, WE said no way (politely) and she finally caved, thank goodness. Better to ask forgiveness than permission, I always say.

Got home close to 8 pm instead of 4:45 but it was a gorgeous day to ride a bike.
Old 02-05-18, 01:02 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So... hit the road once again for yet another trip to Oceanside (Breakwater has Todos Santos on tap again! Motivation is powerful)

We started in Corona and one of the participants said - btw, there is no train service from Oceanside today (only from Laguna)- there's a bus leaving at 2:50 to Laguna instead of a train, and there's no late bus, just the one.

OK, challenge accepted.

Then Vic decides to have THREE FLATS IN ONE RIDE! The last one past San Onofre and I started campaigning to turn around, eat lunch in San Clemente and then we could ride to Laguna but against all the odds, we made it to Oceanside at 1:30pm, which was not really enough time to have two beers and order a sandwich to go, but we did it anyway.

Then the bus was late. Actually, it never showed up.

Then two buses showed up at the same time close to 4pm.... these buses have two bike rack spots on the front of the bus and there were three of us and assorted other random cyclists. So we nonchalantly walked our bikes onto the bus and the driver about had a heart attack - "Oh no you don't!" She said... you'l have to wait for another bus (yeah right!) and WE said no way! We'll miss the train in Laguna and that can't happen. She said "I'll have to call my supervisor" which we knew wouldn't end well. HE said we have to get off, WE said no way (politely) and she finally caved, thank goodness. Better to ask forgiveness than permission, I always say.

Got home close to 8 pm instead of 4:45 but it was a gorgeous day to ride a bike.

That must be really good beer!
Old 02-05-18, 01:05 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by jimincalif
OMG, I cannot imagine more than an hour on a trainer! Well done, but hopefully your next century is outdoors. You're doing Palm Springs IIRC? I'm not, but that should be a piece of cake for you compared to doing it on a trainer.

I partly did it to see if I can manage 100 miles at all. It was tough and of course indoor centuries are way tougher than outdoors for a variety of reasons. My fastest moving time for PS is about 7 hrs 13 min. I'm not exactly a speed burner more of a plodder. I expect to be riding solo among thousands because I cannot keep the pace that the others from here can do. I will see them at start and that is it.

At least now I know I should be able to put in the miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.