Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken Ball Bearing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Broken Ball Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 02:47 PM
cannonride15

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Broken Ball Bearing

Anyone ever break one in their hub? Bought an old Peugeot with a broken bb in front hub, you would think least loaded of the two. I mean sheared right in half broken! Left a couple indentations in the cup. Of course original owner was still riding it around, looked like it had never been maintained, original grease I think! Between that, stuck seat post, stem and fixed side of bottom bracket, its been a real effort to resurrect this thing. Hope it will be worth it!
Old 09-15-18, 07:32 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I don't understand these "did anyone ever" posts, especially when they refer to random events that could have a multitude of causes. I'm not being critical, more like confused. How does it help to know if it's ever happened before, other than perhaps misery loves company? To answer directly - yes, other people have had broken bearings in their hubs. But I wonder if you and others perhaps mean to ask a different question, such as what could be the cause, how to avoid in the future, how common is it.
Old 09-15-18, 08:08 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I don't understand these "did anyone ever" posts, especially when they refer to random events that could have a multitude of causes. . .
Some posters think this forum is a chat board -- an easy mistake to make considering some of the threads here.
Old 09-16-18, 07:54 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Wow! Tough crowd (or couple) here. WTF is wrong with having a conversation about bike-related maintenance issues?

Dan
Old 09-16-18, 08:08 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Some people object to the form of the question, as if that matters much.

I just wonder what the board is if it's not a chat board. Are we some sort of professional scientific technical journal? Should we start adding footnotes to our posts, to indicate where our information can be checked and corroborated? And include a bibliography at the end of each post? And a summary at the beginning?

Good luck with getting anyone to follow that format.
Old 09-16-18, 08:14 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I am pretty interested in this, I’ve never had or seen a broken steel bearing on a bike. The causes would be very interesting, possible corrosion? A picture of the bearing would be nice.
Old 09-16-18, 11:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Some posters think this forum is a chat board
It's not? Why?

Dan
Old 09-16-18, 12:57 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I've seen cleanly split BBs, in old bikes being rebuilt. I think an impact would be a more likely cause than wear, corrosion or age. Maybe a flaw. But I'm not a metallurgist.

Was the BB originally in a retainer cage? Seems I most often see split BBs with the twisted remains of cages. Maybe that makes it more susceptible to impact, more load on one ball.

I have seen worn and corroded BBs, too, with good sized chunks eaten away.

Was that an aluminum seat post in a steel frame, and were you able to free it? I try to remember to check that first when one of those comes in.
Old 09-16-18, 04:47 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts

Well I have experience with that. LOL
My SA XL-FDD dyno hub, with 17,000 miles, ATE 4 bearing in a sealed unit. This hub took a some hits on a tour 7 months before and I went for a 90 mile ride on the highway just a couple days before I noticed something wrong. It was feeling strange leaning in a curve and had an intermittent side to side looseness when I was stopped and trying to wiggle it. I was then riding slowly on a 12 mile ride when I finally decided it was seriously bad. But I still rode it home slowly keeping it straight up.

So the next day I took it apart. The crumbs were all stuck on the magnet, 4 of the 11 balls were gone. LOL Everything else had NO lube whatsoever and had no discernable pits or marks.
So I got out the vacuum cleaner to help suck the chips off. I then couldn't find any other scratches or damage. So I went to the industrial bearing warehouse and got some new sealed bearings. I had to unsolder the wire to get it apart. I didn't need a keeper for the magnet that I could tell., still powers fine. Oh, but first I had to make a 33.5 mm hexagon tool with 1/8" a steel plate, to open the soft Alu shell. This hub just did another tour, now 24,000 miles. Sturmey Archer stuff is TOUGH. ha I'm not sure how the hell 4 balls could make all those little bits.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-16-18 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 09:52 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Some people object to the form of the question, as if that matters much. I just wonder what the board is if it's not a chat board. Are we some sort of professional scientific technical journal? Should we start adding footnotes to our posts, to indicate where our information can be checked and corroborated? And include a bibliography at the end of each post? And a summary at the beginning?
Good luck with getting anyone to follow that format.
The form of a question does not matter much, if one assumes that a person asking for help has no responsibility to be clear and informative, and if one does not really care about the quality or relevance of the answers.
Your suggestion that this is either a chat board or an absurd alternative is of course a false dichotomy. It's pretty clear above what the function is "If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help...drop in here..." However, there is absolutely no rule or prejudice against just having a conversation. It was simply not clear whether the OP just wanted to swap war stories or acquire knowledge.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 09-17-18 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 09:57 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Wow! Tough crowd (or couple) here. WTF is wrong with having a conversation about bike-related maintenance issues?

Dan
Asking the goal of a question or for more detail on what will help the OP is being tough? Wow. Did you somehow detect hidden sarcasm or "attitude"?
Old 09-16-18, 10:02 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by Baboo
I am pretty interested in this, I’ve never had or seen a broken steel bearing on a bike. The causes would be very interesting, possible corrosion? A picture of the bearing would be nice.
Serious question - What would you do with such information? Would you overhaul a hub more often specifically to avoid a broken bearing from corrosion? If it's due to a manufacturing defect would you have each bearing tested for faults? Would you be more careful with hub adjustment because that was suggested as a factor in a broken bearing? Is there any reason for focusing on a broken bearing if it's something you've never seen (and probably never heard about)?
Old 09-17-18, 12:48 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Personally, I repeatedly test every individual bearing for strength and quality with a hydraulic press before allowing it anywhere near my bike...

Old 09-17-18, 07:43 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Serious question - What would you do with such information? Would you overhaul a hub more often specifically to avoid a broken bearing from corrosion? If it's due to a manufacturing defect would you have each bearing tested for faults? Would you be more careful with hub adjustment because that was suggested as a factor in a broken bearing? Is there any reason for focusing on a broken bearing if it's something you've never seen (and probably never heard about)?
No real usefuf reason other than curiosity. I doubt it would ever be applicable to me.
I don’t know why you think I owe you an explanation as to my interest, but obviously you do.
Old 09-17-18, 08:16 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I buy loose bearing balls for about 2 cents each. So I always replace them. The time taken to tear down, clean and regrease a hub or bottom bracket, spending under 50 cents on replacement bearings is trivial.

I’ve seen a wide variety of things when opening old hubs and bottom brackets. Not knowing the bikes histories I don’t know the causes.

+100 caged bearings tend to fair the worst. When the cage ass-plodes it tends to do other damage.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-17-18 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 12:59 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by Baboo

No real usefuf reason other than curiosity. I doubt it would ever be applicable to me.
I don’t know why you think I owe you an explanation as to my interest, but obviously you do.
No, it's neither obvious nor true that I think you owe me anything.
Old 09-17-18, 02:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Yes, I have seen broken-in-half bearing balls in bicycles.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-18, 11:01 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
If it's of any use, I've seen broken (split) bearing balls in hubs more than once. On every occasion, the hub was with practically no grease (very old, completely dried grease, and little left of it, even dry as it was).
Old 09-17-18, 11:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I"m guessing that the cones came new too tight (very common). If the bike is a UO-8, bearing quality is not especially good so there may well have been tighter places within the rotation of the axle. The balls may not have come from the same batch and one was slightly larger. Now add rider weight. That large ball gets regularly "squashed". After enough of these, it breaks. (It's also done some damage to the cone.)

I'd buy some new bearings, put them in fresh grease, tighten just until play is gone with the wheel on the bike and the QR tight and ride it. (Note that this means the axle will have a touch of play out of the bike.)

Ben