Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fluid Film Inside Frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fluid Film Inside Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 10:43 AM
mtarrant05

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fluid Film Inside Frame?

Team:

Any reason I shouldn't spray Fluid Film inside the frame of my 86 Peugeot Triathlon? I'm treating a few spots of rust on the toptube from sweat and am concerned about the inside. I don't want to disassemble the bike but could spray into the seat post and any other opening I could find.

Also - For the exterior rust spots. Do you guys sand first then use Fluid Film? Or just fluid film and call it a day? Not sure if I'll paint over yet or not. They're small. Read about some folks using nail polish to touch up. Might work.
Old 08-20-19, 10:49 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I'd just do it. And maybe hearing you've done it will inspire me to do it to my frame.
Old 08-20-19, 11:00 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Yes, fine to spray into the frame.

Regarding external rust spots - spray first, then sand, then clean the sanded area with a clean rag. Once clean, touch up with paint or nail polish. If it is small enough that you don't care about touching it up, I would use some auto wax on it periodically to protect from future rusting.

Regarding disassembling the bike - you should at least clean and repack with grease the bearings, meaning the bottom bracket, headset, and hubs. If you don't want to do this have the LBS do it. When the fork and bottom bracket are out, either you or the LBS can spray inside the frame.
Old 08-20-19, 11:42 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Rustproofing the interior of the tubes is just not needed. Seal off the factory breather holes and squirt motor oil inside the tubes if you want, and you are all set. I built a frame in 2001, commuted year round on it for 10 years in the Rust Belt of the Midwest, with lots and lots of salt on the roads, and have had zero issues of rusting out from the inside. I still ride the bike today.

Pulled off the rear end of the frame to rebuild it after an accident, and although the BB was fairly rusty inside, the chain stays had little to no rust at all. Looking up the seat tube and down tube there is only a mild surface rust, more like a patina. This frame will never rust out from the inside, as will most steel frames. It simply is over kill to rust proof, however if you feel better, go ahead and do it.

I use Fluid Film on the door panels of my car. Needs to be renewed annually.
Old 08-20-19, 05:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Rustproofing the interior of the tubes is just not needed.
This. If you want to do it, I don't see any real harm.
Old 08-20-19, 08:25 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I live in Florida on the Atlantic Ocean coast. I ride up and down the beach at low tide. Stuff oxidizes & rusts like crazy around here. Put a big piece of scrap cardboard (large pizza box is good) on the floor of the garage. Take the bike wheels off. Hang the bike from ceiling over the cardboard. Spray inside of bike frame with LPS 3. Rotate frame a few times. Wait a day or so. Let the excess drip out of all the holes. Put the wheels back on and ride. (Yes. Spray the inside of your tubes).
Old 08-20-19, 11:43 PM
mtarrant05

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Yes, fine to spray into the frame.

Regarding external rust spots - spray first, then sand, then clean the sanded area with a clean rag. Once clean, touch up with paint or nail polish. If it is small enough that you don't care about touching it up, I would use some auto wax on it periodically to protect from future rusting.

Regarding disassembling the bike - you should at least clean and repack with grease the bearings, meaning the bottom bracket, headset, and hubs. If you don't want to do this have the LBS do it. When the fork and bottom bracket are out, either you or the LBS can spray inside the frame.
Sprayed the exterior spots tonight with the Fluid Film. Bubbled up on the rust quickly but I only let it sit for 10-15 seconds before wiping away. Did that a few times.

Will pencil sand the spots tomorrow. Spray again and then clean before wax or paint over.

Sound good or does it need to sit longer?

Appreciate the insight here. I live in Memphis. Very humid but no salt to worry about.
Old 08-21-19, 07:38 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
That sounds fine!
Old 08-21-19, 08:03 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I haven't tried Fluid Film but I like to use Rust Check. It's a "creeping" oil that wicks into crevasses / folds.
Old 08-21-19, 09:24 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
+1 10GB; even after wiping, what's left of the FF on the rust will have neutralized it by now, and it will sand away much easier. Do NOT apply FF after sanding, as it would interfere with paint contact. Don't wax either. Once you're sanded down to clean metal you're ready to paint, but start with a clean dry surface, free of chemicals.
Old 08-22-19, 11:06 PM
mtarrant05

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Knocked that rust out tonight. Ran fluid film back over after for now. Will degrease and clean before painting.
Old 08-22-19, 11:08 PM
mtarrant05

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hate to scratch up this old frame. Ugh. But better ugly than rusty. Thinking about options for cover up.

Could nail polish or mask off everything but the top tube and head tube. Wrap string around and Spray.Paint something on top. Then remove the string to have the original color way lines underneath.

Could be cool.

Or FUNKY. HA!