Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lotus Odyssey Odyssey

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lotus Odyssey Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 12:34 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Lotus Odyssey Odyssey

Fresh from its shake-down ride:

And an odyssey it has been. The bike came apart easily except for the bottom bracket. I did not know that Suntour made sealed cartridge BB’s in the early 80’s. It is an odd thing, which basically floats in the BB shell, with lock rings on both sides. Though I got the left cup out without a tool, the right one was stuck, and I had no tool to fit it.

After a trip to all six bike shops in town, I found one tool:

It was broken:

Finally, sixth shop put frame on stand. The cup would move freely about 1-1/2 turns and bind up, cross threading itself. Bike shop guy man-handled the snot out of it and finally got it out, and ruined the tubing sticker with the stand clamp (%^%$!!!). I should have said something as even I know better than to not put a rag between the rubber clamps and the tubes, but I didn't, so shame on me. The cups are light alloy and the threads look pretty bare, but the BB shell seemed to do OK with a minor chasing. Left $65 and 30 minutes later with an XT cartridge BB. I am not sure if I am happy about this, but it is done.

Bike went back together OK. These are the smallest Dia Comp cantileaver brakes that I have ever seen. The return springs seem like they are made out of paper clips, but they adjusted easily and stop well with the new pads. One loss to the new levers is a screw-adjustment for the brake cables. I may miss that some day.

The changes besides the BB include a Shimano self-extracting crank bolts, dropped the 50 tooth ring to a 48 for true ½-step gearing (also dropped the 30-tooth granny to a 28), 6-speed 14-28 freewheel got swapped for a 7-speed 13-30, higher stem (Technomic), Nitto Noodle bars, some older Shimano SLR levers. I had also been saving these for a special build:

The pedals in the picture are VO platform pedals that I put clips on. They are great platform pedlas, but do not work well with the clips. I and am going to switch them out for some older Malliards that I like much better. The bar tape is the rubbery Cinelli stuff which I do not like. I think I am going to put cloth tape over it.

I spent a lot of time considering fenders. The stays on the Bluemels it came with are rather bent and rusted. I really wanted to put on some Planet Bike Cascadia’s, but sometime in the last year or so, they have started to put this big obnoxious logo on the back fender.. If they are going to plaster that thing on what is otherwise a nice looking fender, they should pay ME $40 to put it on my bike rather than the other way around.

I have SKS in both silver and black, and I had these VO Aluminum ones from a project I lost interest in a while back. I think the SKS’s woyuld last longer, but the deciding factor was the mounting brackets on the VO’s worked very well in mounting both the fender stays and the racks to the eyelets on the fok. The Blumels were bent all over to get to the to-eyelets, and the SKS’s, with their chunky break-away plastic clip thing would not work easily, if at all. In the end, I am happy with the way the VO’s look, but I hope they stand up as well as the chromo-plastics.

I am still not sold on the Pesala’s and 27” wheels. I have has casing problems with Panaracers before, and upon mounting them, these did not look any better. Jacking them up to 110 psi to get them to seat correctly helped, but it did not instill much confidence. I am holding some 700C rims in case they do not work out. The bag is Rivendell. I am looking for paniers.

The bike rides great. One surprizing thing to me was how bars 4 cm wider than what I am used to (44 cm vs 40 cm) changed the feel of the bike, especially when climbing out of the saddle. It is hard for me to really pull up and in like before.
Old 08-11-09, 05:36 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,491 Posts
WOW beautiful bike! I have one of those BBs somewhere. they were nice for their time. if you took only the frame they did not have alot of options for clamping it. also they should not have 'manhandled' while you were watching.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-12-09, 06:41 AM
24tracktape

Bikes: 1995 Guerciotti Genius, 1992 Cannondale Delta V 1000, 1989 Cannondale SR500, 1987 Univega Nuovo Sport, 1984 Trek 620, 1983 Muddy Fox Monarch, 1960 Rudge Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job on the build!
Old 08-12-09, 06:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Very intelligent and lovely.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-12-09, 10:03 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Beautiful ride -
I too like narrow bars but find wider bars preferable with bar-end shifters.
Old 08-12-09, 10:37 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
+1 bravo!
I think you'll like the DC cantis, if they are the ones I think they are, but will you have enough adjustment if you decide to go to 700C?
Old 08-12-09, 11:01 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

I already stuck some 700c's on when I first thought about switching out the 27's. They fit fine brake-wise (I rode it to the liquor store with the 700c's). I think I can get a 700x38 under the fenders. 27x1 1/4 fit, but the 1 3/8 knobbies rub on the fender bolts at the fork crown...dremel tool or smooth tread should fix that problem.
Old 08-12-09, 11:53 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Just curious, how come the VO pedals didn't work out with the clips?

Gorgeous btw.

Scott
Old 08-12-09, 01:04 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Just curious, how come the VO pedals didn't work out with the clips?
The ones I used are the platform style that have the little pointy-grippy thingys to grap the bottom of your shoe. When you introduce the strap on top of your foot, it forces you to slip (or try to slip) the bottom of the shoe accross the pointy-grippy thingys, which is difficult. It also proves the pointy-grippy thingys work. Great pedal, wrong application is all.
Old 08-12-09, 06:58 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Wow, that is beautiful. Great job! I usually dislike the look of those mile high stems but something about your bike just looks really balanced. Nice work.

That is a real let down when a mechanic is rough with something we think is so so nice. Did he say anything at all, even a sorry for messing up your sticker?
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 08-13-09, 12:24 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Did he say anything at all, even a sorry for messing up your sticker?
No. I don't think he even noticed. I can get another decal easier than another old Suntour cartidge BB, it is just a pain.
Old 11-27-09, 04:00 PM
akcapbikeforums

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Just a gorgeous bike.

Last edited by akcapbikeforums; 11-28-09 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 11-27-09, 06:20 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Beautiful...and I'm biased...since my first real bike was a Lotus Odysee. I loved the heck out of that thing from about 13-16...until I really developed a love for road bikes. ALso, the Lotus got hit, with me on it, by a truck...and it damaged the frame.
Old 11-28-09, 01:16 AM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Another beautiful touring bike. Great job ! I have a SunTour sealed BB on my Holdsworth touring bike-have never ever had a problem with it, and yes, I do have the tool to remove it. Sorry to hear about the tough job removing yours from your frame. Anyhoo, enjoy your great bike.
Old 11-28-09, 01:55 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Ir seems that all of my bikes I have managed to change something...saddle, pendals, wheels, bars, levers...at least something. Each bike has a box with the original stuff in it in the barn. At some point, I would like to find another Suntour sealed BB to...well...toss in the box if the Smithsonian comes a knock'in. It is not a priority though.
Old 12-24-16, 01:46 PM
followingseas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like this post is a few years old, but worth a try! I'm doing some work on my Lotus Odyssey (1984 - looks like yours has the same tubing as mine - same year, perhaps?) after a little 500 mile tour that highlighted some issues...

The formerly good-shape BB is shot (also struggling to find that tool). That shouldn't be hard to deal with. The main thing I'm struggling with is wheels/drivetrain. My freewheel (Suntour Ultra-6) is missing a few teeth in the mid-range cogs. I could buy a NOS Ultra-6, but I am more interested in your switch to a 7speed 13x30. Does your bike have 120mm rear hub spacing? Did you stretch the frame? Re-dish? Basically: do I have any option other than switching to a 5 speed (don't want to do - I use that low-low!) that doesn't require me cold-setting to 126mm? Should I even be that fussy about cold-setting?

Wheels are a bit of a project unto themselves - front rim has cracked, and I've got a temp wheel on it now. Rear needs to be rebuilt at the very least - I've broken at least 10 spokes...Spoke tension is all screwy. The hubs and rim sidewalls are in good shape, however.

Interestingly, I've already replaced stem and handlebars to same set up that you did. Same tires and fenders too. (I also have had some issues with the tires - but the gum wall looks nice...) I switched to the pretty drillium TRP RRL SR Brake Levers, and am loving them.

I'd like to keep this bike outfitted as a good touring option. It's comfy - and maybe more importantly, it's the bike I've got. And I'm a poor grad student who loves to tour.
Old 12-24-16, 01:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by followingseas
Looks like this post is a few years old, but worth a try! I'm doing some work on my Lotus Odyssey (1984 - looks like yours has the same tubing as mine - same year, perhaps?) after a little 500 mile tour that highlighted some issues...

The formerly good-shape BB is shot (also struggling to find that tool). That shouldn't be hard to deal with. The main thing I'm struggling with is wheels/drivetrain. My freewheel (Suntour Ultra-6) is missing a few teeth in the mid-range cogs. I could buy a NOS Ultra-6, but I am more interested in your switch to a 7speed 13x30. Does your bike have 120mm rear hub spacing? Did you stretch the frame? Re-dish? Basically: do I have any option other than switching to a 5 speed (don't want to do - I use that low-low!) that doesn't require me cold-setting to 126mm? Should I even be that fussy about cold-setting?

Wheels are a bit of a project unto themselves - front rim has cracked, and I've got a temp wheel on it now. Rear needs to be rebuilt at the very least - I've broken at least 10 spokes...Spoke tension is all screwy. The hubs and rim sidewalls are in good shape, however.

Interestingly, I've already replaced stem and handlebars to same set up that you did. Same tires and fenders too. (I also have had some issues with the tires - but the gum wall looks nice...) I switched to the pretty drillium TRP RRL SR Brake Levers, and am loving them.

I'd like to keep this bike outfitted as a good touring option. It's comfy - and maybe more importantly, it's the bike I've got. And I'm a poor grad student who loves to tour.
You should start your own thread with all these questions and include a bunch of pictures esp. of the drive side. You'll get a bunch of advice and some of it will even be good,

Basically running 7 is no big deal if the bike is at 126 other than that you may have to add a spacer to get the chain to clear the chain stay. If at 120, you'll have to spread the frame which with a steel frame is very doable.

Based on the OP's post, I'm guessing this bike is 126 mm in the rear since his bike originally came with 6 on the back but one measurement is worth a 1,000 guesses.

If looking for new wheels, it's tough to beat these from velomine:

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=739

The sun CR 18 rims are plenty tough and the price is tough to beat. I've ordered wheels from velomine before and I was happy with the build quality. Note that these are 27 inch wheels (so was the OP's Lotus). If the bike came with 27 inch, you will want to stick with that. There is some adjustability with cantilevers but you may find that the cantis you have won't play nicely with 700c rims.

Last edited by bikemig; 12-24-16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 03:39 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood

The bike rides great. One surprizing thing to me was how bars 4 cm wider than what I am used to (44 cm vs 40 cm) changed the feel of the bike, especially when climbing out of the saddle. It is hard for me to really pull up and in like before.
Great bike and nice photos. Love your drivetrain, especially.

You'll get used to pulling up. When I first built my upright with 61 cm Map bars, it was crazy strange to stand.
In no time I was used to it and really enjoy the bike now.
Wide bars are really helpful for handling a load and handling rough surfaces.
Old 12-24-16, 04:48 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Originally Posted by followingseas

I do not recall that I re-spaced the rear end, so it must be 126. I rode the bike a lot the first year or two, but it has been hanging in the garage for a while while I mess with other things. I have some minor changes I want to make, like swap back to the original BB and change the pedals again. I have had some issues getting the tires to seat properly.

I should ride this bike more often because it is a super comfy ride. One thing I have noticed compared to the other two big touring bikes I have ('83 Expedition and '84 Pro tour) is that the Lotus handles about the same loaded versus unloaded, while the other two are very different when laden. Not sure why this is.

Last edited by balindamood; 12-24-16 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 09:09 PM
followingseas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
You should start your own thread with all these questions and include a bunch of pictures esp. of the drive side. You'll get a bunch of advice and some of it will even be good,
I'm away for the holidays, but perhaps I'll do just that when I get back home and can take a few photos! This bike has been good for learning - a fair bit trickier to deal with than some of my former ones.

Originally Posted by bikemig
Basically running 7 is no big deal if the bike is at 126 other than that you may have to add a spacer to get the chain to clear the chain stay. If at 120, you'll have to spread the frame which with a steel frame is very doable.

Based on the OP's post, I'm guessing this bike is 126 mm in the rear since his bike originally came with 6 on the back but one measurement is worth a 1,000 guesses.

If looking for new wheels, it's tough to beat these from velomine:

Sun CR18 27 5,6,7 Speed Freewheel hubs Road Bike Wheelset [72274726665] - $115.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

The sun CR 18 rims are plenty tough and the price is tough to beat. I've ordered wheels from velomine before and I was happy with the build quality. Note that these are 27 inch wheels (so was the OP's Lotus). If the bike came with 27 inch, you will want to stick with that. There is some adjustability with cantilevers but you may find that the cantis you have won't play nicely with 700c rims.
Mine is 120mm spacing, with a 6 speed (Ultra 6 - made to fit in 120mm!) I'm thinking perhaps spreading the frame is my best bet..

Thanks for the recommendation on the Sun CR 18s - I'd been looking at them, but hadn't heard anything about quality. I do feel that a new set of wheels are in order. My temp front wheel is steel rimmed, which is pretty lousy for rainy PNW weather.
Old 12-24-16, 09:18 PM
followingseas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
I do not recall that I re-spaced the rear end, so it must be 126. I rode the bike a lot the first year or two, but it has been hanging in the garage for a while while I mess with other things. I have some minor changes I want to make, like swap back to the original BB and change the pedals again. I have had some issues getting the tires to seat properly.

I should ride this bike more often because it is a super comfy ride. One thing I have noticed compared to the other two big touring bikes I have ('83 Expedition and '84 Pro tour) is that the Lotus handles about the same loaded versus unloaded, while the other two are very different when laden. Not sure why this is.
I think they must have switched to 126mm spacing a year or two after mine. I think for simplicity's sake, I'm just going to have to stretch the frame.

I've got a set of Shimano A530s pedals on, which I love for touring. Not exactly the right aesthetic, though. What's the issue with the Shimano BB? Or just want to get back to original? The Suntour behaved very nicely for me for the first year I had the bike, but after tour, it's feeling pretty lousy. Was thinking about switching to a Shimano UN55 (looks like the 70-series isn't around anymore).

Funny - that first tour I took it on, I was thinking the same thing. After a couple weeks of loaded riding, I dropped my bags to run to the store. Thought to myself "wow, this feels pretty much exactly the same".
Old 12-24-16, 11:20 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

There was nothing wrong with the Shimano BB, I just sourced an original replacement, and a tool to install it, so I did. No issues with that one. From another experi3nce, and from what I have seen, the Suntour ones go from just fine to destroyed in a very short period of time. I have not done enough forensics to find out why this is, but it seems to be much faster than current Shimano offerings.
Old 12-25-16, 02:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
From the depths of my garage and the bike toolbox.

SunTour1.JPG

SunTour2.JPG
Old 12-25-16, 03:26 PM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
I've used a bmx freewheel tool to remove one of these BBs before. Don't recall which specific tool, but could be something to mention the folks at shops who understandably wouldn't think to look at freewheel tools to remove a BB.

Those BBs were almost great. Sealed(ish), adjustable chainline., but they tended to let moisture in, and not back out.