Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it considered rude?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is it considered rude?

Old 05-03-10, 12:40 AM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite / 2016 Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it considered rude?

I am a solo rider and do not usually overtake other riders because I honestly have never caught up to any other riders. I typically see lots of other riders out along the route I typically ride, but usually am going in the opposite direction or just not fast enough to keep up with them. However, yesterday I did manage to catch up with one rider who was going about 4 mph slower than I was. I called out "on your left" and passed him up and as I did he called out "well that's just rude." I was going steady at about an 18 mph pace while he was plodding along going about 13-14 mph and I did not see the need to stay behind him or ride at his pace. I did slow down though and talked to him for about a mile before I felt I was losing my own ride so I said goodbye and went on my way.

So I guess I need to ask what is the accepted norm when coming upon another road cyclist who is going slower than you are? Do you slow down and talk or do you stay behind the slower rider? Is what I did considered rude?

Thanks
Old 05-03-10, 12:52 AM
tn9

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just tell them I'm passing and say, "hello" before I continue on my way. No need to over think, just ride :]
Old 05-03-10, 12:54 AM
mrnotwo

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champ Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ride along without saying anything unless I know the person.
Old 05-03-10, 01:00 AM
gumbii
mutant...

Bikes: skinny benny single speed/fixed gear, fuji carbon fiber road bike...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everyone usually just passes me by and give's the "wassap" nod... no biggie... i won't make convo unless there's a need for it...
Old 05-03-10, 01:04 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure what he thought was rude. You did nothing wrong unless you aren't telling us everything.
Old 05-03-10, 01:30 AM
dan32888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will say "hi" but you really don't have to say anything. Its not like you are demeaning them by simply passing.

There HAS to be something missing from this story.
Old 05-03-10, 01:47 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wait a minute. You said you "slowed down and talked to him for about a mile" ? Was that before you went right on by him?
Old 05-03-10, 01:57 AM
gumbii
mutant...

Bikes: skinny benny single speed/fixed gear, fuji carbon fiber road bike...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you probably scared him...
Old 05-03-10, 02:02 AM
Soma Roark

Bikes: Trek 600 Series, Miyata 610, Palo Alto Touring, Schwinn Paramountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were you gassy?...
Old 05-03-10, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soma Roark
Were you gassy?...
haha

You weren't rude at all, in fact you did what is considered normal and courteous to the extent that you don't sneak up on someone and scare them off the road as you pass.

I will call it if passing in a congested area; otherwise I either know they have seen me approaching, or pass quietly on the left leaving ample room between bikes and nothing needs to be said.
Old 05-03-10, 02:25 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You actually were quite polite by saying "on your left", many riders will get kind of upset when others just zoom by them without saying a word.
Old 05-03-10, 03:21 AM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dan32888
I will say "hi" but you really don't have to say anything. Its not like you are demeaning them by simply passing.

There HAS to be something missing from this story.
Nope absolutely nothing missing, it happened exactly as I described above. I called out "on your left" to let him know I would be passing on his left and as I passed he said "well that's just rude." Not sure what was so rude, but it was the first time it had ever happened so I was just checking to see if maybe I did something wrong.

Originally Posted by Vixtor
You actually were quite polite by saying "on your left", many riders will get upset when others just zoom by them without saying a word.
That's what I figured so that's why I called it out, just to let him know I would be passing him on his left. Thought that was the nice thing to do.
Old 05-03-10, 04:02 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
when i pass someone, i always "good (insert time of day here)"
Old 05-03-10, 04:12 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I am a solo rider and do not usually overtake other riders because I honestly have never caught up to any other riders. I typically see lots of other riders out along the route I typically ride, but usually am going in the opposite direction or just not fast enough to keep up with them. However, yesterday I did manage to catch up with one rider who was going about 4 mph slower than I was. I called out "on your left" and passed him up and as I did he called out "well that's just rude." I was going steady at about an 18 mph pace while he was plodding along going about 13-14 mph and I did not see the need to stay behind him or ride at his pace. I did slow down though and talked to him for about a mile before I felt I was losing my own ride so I said goodbye and went on my way.
So I guess I need to ask what is the accepted norm when coming upon another road cyclist who is going slower than you are? Do you slow down and talk or do you stay behind the slower rider? Is what I did considered rude?

Thanks
Was he insulted that you stopped riding with him ?

On the rare occasions I see another rider, I just pass and say "Good Morning/afternoon" and skip the "On your left" part. That just confuses most people.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-03-10 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-03-10, 05:32 AM
helmut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't fart as your rode by did you? Sometimes it's fun to crop dust the person pulling off the front as you rotate, so you may have done it without thinking...
Old 05-03-10, 01:41 PM
urbanlegend
toronto tonto

Bikes: 2011 specialized roubaix elite apex - 2010 giant rapid 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was he joking?

one day while i was out riding, i passed a couple on fixes on a hill. a while later, they passed me. as they passed, i said, "yeah, i knew that was going to happen". i was joking around and they laughed.

sounds to me like your guy was might have been joking about the fact that he was being passed.

j
Old 05-03-10, 02:02 PM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helmut
You didn't fart as your rode by did you? Sometimes it's fun to crop dust the person pulling off the front as you rotate, so you may have done it without thinking...
I did that a couple of weeks ago at a light on my ride home from work, it just slipped out and was pretty thunderous. At the next light I apologized to the dude, and he just laughed and said, "Me and my buddies do that all the time, but that was a first coming from a complete stranger." I pulled out ahead of him at the green because I think he was trying to work up a little payback
Old 05-03-10, 02:08 PM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanlegend
was he joking?

one day while i was out riding, i passed a couple on fixes on a hill. a while later, they passed me. as they passed, i said, "yeah, i knew that was going to happen". i was joking around and they laughed.

sounds to me like your guy was might have been joking about the fact that he was being passed.

j
He could have been joking because his tone wasn't mean sounding at all. He then joked that he was on mile 100 and that was why he was slow, that's when I slowed down to talk to him because at first I thought he was serious. As we talked I learned he was a fairly new rider with less than 100 miles on his bike and he typically only rode on Saturdays.

For all those who have asked or insinuated, no I did not let one loose as I passed him. I typically will look around and ensure there is no one around before I let one out because they do tend to be rather loud most times. lol
Old 05-03-10, 02:15 PM
JRonaTrek

Bikes: 2019 TREK Emonda SL5 and Madone SLR 6

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts
maybe that rider was sentimental or upset, he hasnt gotten used to the fact the he's gonna get passed.

I was like that, i always get "crushed" and im used to it. I suck and that's the bottome line.....give it time, he'll get used to it.
Old 05-03-10, 02:18 PM
chains1240
West Michigan

Bikes: Jamis, Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally get "On your left" then we exchange a greeting like good morning or good afternoon. I think it would be rude to speed past someone silently and scare the heck outta them.
Old 05-03-10, 02:21 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Wouldn't the 4 minute mile chat been the time to try and figure out what the originator of the comment thought was rude instead of BF speculation based on limited to no knowledge of the situation? Of course that would be no fun.
Old 05-03-10, 02:22 PM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JRonaTrek
maybe that rider was sentimental or upset, he hasnt gotten used to the fact the he's gonna get passed.

I was like that, i always get "crushed" and im used to it. I suck and that's the bottome line.....give it time, he'll get used to it.
Yeah I'm really surprised I haven't been passed yet since where I ride there are a lot of riders, I know it's only a matter of time though. Not sure whether I suck or not since I have never ever raced or done a time trial to compare myself against any sort of competition. I did manage to ride a 17.2 mph pace for mile 25 miles on Saturday and then 16.9 mph for 45 miles on Sunday. I know that's no where near serious competitive cyclists, but for me it is pretty good and hopefully I'll keep improving.
Old 05-03-10, 02:22 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds to me he thought he had made a new friend.. you did bond over a mile or so.... Then like that - you were gone.
Old 05-03-10, 02:25 PM
ImaPoser
It's supposed to do that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like when people call out 'on your left' when to go to pass me. It gives me a chance to kick at them as they go by.
Old 05-03-10, 02:25 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16.9 is pretty good for a non competitive ride... assuming it is not all downhill

Most clubs would put that at moderate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.