Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

pedicab business.

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

pedicab business.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 05:29 PM
bwhite829

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pedicab business.

i'm sorry if this is not the right spot. if its not, can ops move it or close it?

Alright, so I'm thinking about starting my own pedicab business for the local university and contract out the pedicabs and bikes. I'm thinking about having pedicab trailers so that people can use their bikes and only use the pedicabs, and also have the trailers and bikes available if necessary as well. There is about a 3-4 mile radius of the school that would be practical, and am wondering since there is no pedicabs in my area, what is normal as far as pricing or w/e, and also if there are pedicab trailer fabricators, or if somebody has fabricating skills could tell me how hard this would be to do. I posted this in the utility thread because I don't know where it goes. Thanks all.
Old 07-01-10, 06:31 PM
nwmtnbkr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were you, I'd steer clear of towable trailers for several reasons. First, I've not seen any pull behind trailers that have ever looked comfortable for adults. Secondly, you suddenly may find yourself included in litigation because the person who hired your trailer hadn't properly maintained his or her bike. Here's a website to start at--their pedicab prices are a bit more reasonable than some manufacturers based in the US, so I suspect their products are imported. https://www.pedicab.com/shop-pedicab-accessories.html If you're interested in domestically built pedicabs, there's one not too far from me in Montana that builds a heavy-duty one using a recumbent trike, but it's not cheap (over $5,000). https://www.lightfootcycles.com/pedicab.php Before you go too far with monetary commitments, sit down with a lawyer and work out what the details, including contract language for future operators. Also, meet with an insurance agent to get a feel for what coverage will cost since you'll want to include that kind of data in your business plan. Good luck.
Old 07-01-10, 08:48 PM
bwhite829

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
If I were you, I'd steer clear of towable trailers for several reasons. First, I've not seen any pull behind trailers that have ever looked comfortable for adults. Secondly, you suddenly may find yourself included in litigation because the person who hired your trailer hadn't properly maintained his or her bike. Here's a website to start at--their pedicab prices are a bit more reasonable than some manufacturers based in the US, so I suspect their products are imported. https://www.pedicab.com/shop-pedicab-accessories.html If you're interested in domestically built pedicabs, there's one not too far from me in Montana that builds a heavy-duty one using a recumbent trike, but it's not cheap (over $5,000). https://www.lightfootcycles.com/pedicab.php Before you go too far with monetary commitments, sit down with a lawyer and work out what the details, including contract language for future operators. Also, meet with an insurance agent to get a feel for what coverage will cost since you'll want to include that kind of data in your business plan. Good luck.
a couple things to get away with the trailer: #1: if people choose to rent a pedicab, and use their own bike, i'd get an inspection w/ one of the LBS first, before letting them use it. secondly, there's got to be a way to manufacture a trailer thats just as comfy as a bike. i know a $3k pedicab won't be a worthwhile investment, but if i can get a trailer built for say, half that, it'd definately be worthwhile. thank you for your input. i've researched the first site, and they are def my first choice if i do decide to go with a regular pedicab.
Old 07-02-10, 06:05 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good info above ! Also,,, I would check any city/county/state laws that may apply in your area, before the meeting with a lawyer. Pedicabs may not be allowed .

Last edited by Esteban32696; 07-02-10 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 07:11 AM
bwhite829

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban32696
Good info above ! Also,,, I would check any city/county/state laws that may apply in your area, before the meeting with a lawyer. Pedicabs may not be allowed .
Yeah, I'm planning on checking on that and calling/meeting with somebody from the university to be sure I can do anything there
Old 07-10-10, 08:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get the Insurance plan sorted out , first , It may make buying and operating the Ricksaw bike seem cheap.

Can you sort out a Group plan Co-insuring with the City you are in, bus company??

Someone here had the bikes first , never started the business because of the cost of insurance.
Old 07-11-10, 05:10 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This forum may be of help.

https://www.pedicabforum.com/forums/forum.php
Old 12-03-10, 12:55 PM
BillyB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedicab Business

I'm considering starting a 1 bicycle pedicab business to work in the Historic district of a small town that has half a dozen vibrant bars and restaraunts, with a fair amount of pedestrian traffic between them all.

I'm not looking to make a lot of money, but if I can make my expenses back, and have a bit of fun in the process, then I will give it a go.

I've done a bit of research, and have determined, that I could buy a used pedicab for under 2K, but it will need to have gears, as there's a decent little hill seperating one of the more popular bars from the rest.

I'm capable of maintaining it myself, so other than that, I need insurance, and someplace to store it downtown on the weekends. I would be operating it myself sometimes, but mostly be renting it/splitting commissions with local college kids. We would be working for only tips and probably only operate on Friday and Saturday nights from 7 to 12 PM, with the odd special event.

A couple of questions:

1. Approximately how much should I expect to pay for insurance?
2. Approximately how much should I expect for my riders working a typical night?
Old 01-17-11, 10:15 AM
cycleric
hyperactivist

Bikes: Norco Havoc, Planet X Zebdi, Actionbent Jetstream II, KMX trike, Univega and Schwinn road bikes, Fuji Cadenza, Bikes At Work 64" trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been doing an independent pedicab operation since spring of 2009. After getting started on an import from India, I began building my own sidecars last year, with great success. In my area taxis require a license only if they are motorized vehicles, so it costs me nothing to operate, besides maintenance.

Short documentary here:
https://www.finearts.ohio.edu/film/pa...nnyRoberts.htm

Blog:
https://athensbikeco-op.blogspot.com/...-bicycles.html