Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

26" MTB rim brake rims

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

26" MTB rim brake rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 07:19 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
26" MTB rim brake rims

I bought a Shimano dynamo hub, 3N72 32 hole, and I'm having trouble finding any selection of 26" rim brake rims too build it with. The only rim generally available is the Mavic XM317, which isn't a bad rim I suppose. But with all the choices of disc rims I thought I would have some kind of selection. Any ideas on where to find rims? This is going onto my 1990 Trek 7000 bike that I use as a commuter.
Old 12-11-13, 08:58 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I bought a Shimano dynamo hub, 3N72 32 hole, and I'm having trouble finding any selection of 26" rim brake rims too build it with. The only rim generally available is the Mavic XM317, which isn't a bad rim I suppose. But with all the choices of disc rims I thought I would have some kind of selection. Any ideas on where to find rims? This is going onto my 1990 Trek 7000 bike that I use as a commuter.
I'm using XM317 on my '97 Homegrown, and they are fabulous rims. You'd be hard pressed to find anything better for that frame. Throw a set of 2.35 tires on there and you've got yourself a mountain tamer, or city slicker if'n that's your poison.
Old 12-11-13, 10:46 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

My bad. I just noticed that the rims I have are XM717. That said, I've been really happy with them.

This wouldn't be a bad deal if you didn't already have hubs. Perhaps you could make an offer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-26-MAV...item233376406a
Old 12-12-13, 01:57 AM
zacster

Thanks, but I really only need a single rim. I'll shop around the usual online stores again and see what they have, but so far not much.
Old 12-12-13, 05:20 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Here's 5 models to look for: https://www.mavic.com/rims/mountainbi...akes%2B3017_26
Old 12-15-13, 10:22 PM
zacster

I bought a pair of XM317 rims on ebay for $52. I checked my rear hub and it too is 32h like my new dynamo hub so I'll use the second rim to replace the dented rear. It'll be like a new set of wheels. I already replaced the bearings in the old rear hub. I'm still surprised at the lack of choice, but I guess with 29ers and disc brakes, the 26" rim brake rim is no longer in much demand.
Old 12-16-13, 10:00 AM
Fred Smedley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a pair of XM317 rims on ebay for $52. I checked my rear hub and it too is 32h like my new dynamo hub so I'll use the second rim to replace the dented rear. It'll be like a new set of wheels. I already replaced the bearings in the old rear hub. I'm still surprised at the lack of choice, but I guess with 29ers and disc brakes, the 26" rim brake rim is no longer in much demand.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=145
Old 12-16-13, 10:43 AM
zacster

A single XM717 costs more than what I paid for the pair of XM317s. They may be nicer but still only 20 grams lighter. We're talking about what started as a beater bike here.
Old 12-16-13, 11:06 AM
Fred Smedley

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A single XM717 costs more than what I paid for the pair of XM317s. They may be nicer but still only 20 grams lighter. We're talking about what started as a beater bike here.
Never saw a reference to price, just availability........
Old 12-17-13, 07:34 AM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The DT Swiss and Velocity models that I did see weren't actually being sold anywhere.

It doesn't matter, I bought the 317s already.
We sell through most US bike shops and here: https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims

We offer the Synergy, Aeroheat (Dyad), Atlas, NoBS, Cliffhanger Chukker & A23 in 559/26" rim brake configurations. Personally, I commute on 559 Aeroheats and Cliffhangers.
Old 12-17-13, 10:01 AM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOBS would be a good durable rim for a beater... https://store.velocityusa.com/p/nobs-26-nonmsw
Old 12-17-13, 04:30 PM
zacster

It's not such a beater bike anymore. I've silenced all the squeaks, clicks and clunks, smoothed out all of the crappy shifting, tightened all the spokes, repacked the hubs and BB, and made it all around nicer. I only wish the frame were in better cosmetic shape now.
Old 12-17-13, 07:51 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

It's not such a beater bike anymore. I've silenced all the squeaks, clicks and clunks, smoothed out all of the crappy shifting, tightened all the spokes, repacked the hubs and BB, and made it all around nicer. I only wish the frame were in better cosmetic shape now.
Who care about cosmetics. You don't actually notice it when it's right underneath you. Nice!
Old 12-20-13, 12:02 PM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my two 26” mountain bikes––which I use for commuting and long distance rides––I purchased two Rhyno Lite wheelsets with Deore hubs.

The first wheelset was with Deore 32-spoke M530 hubs (allows rim brake usage only). I paid just $90 for the new wheelset from www.BlueSkyCycling.com roughly 2 years ago via the Internet.

The second wheelset was with Deore 32-spoke M525 hubs (allows rim brake & 6-bolt disc brake usage). I paid $125.00 for the new wheelset at a Performance Bikes shop located 14 miles from my house. This latter wheelset was purchased in early summer of 2013. This same wheelset is currently available at www.blueskycycling.com for $109.98 via the link (date of the link being 12-20-2013):

https://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Lite-Rims.htm

These Rhyno Lite rims are double-walled and incredibly strong. You’ll also need to purchase a roll of Velox rim tape for each rim.

Additionally, both wheelsets came with valve stem holes drilled for Presta valves.

Initially, I wasn’t into Presta valves, but they have some positive attributes that have grown on me. While I could have drilled the holes to allow Schrader valves, the rim remains stronger via the smaller Presta valve stem hole.

I run Bontrager H2 26” x 2.0 street tires on these wheelsets (my favorite 26” street tires), inflated to 70 PSI for optimized rolling efficiency. To my friend and cousin’s surprise (who also love these tires), these tires provide a surprisingly smooth ride even when inflated to 70 PSI which allows them to roll efficiently hence, fast for your effort.
Old 12-20-13, 12:12 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

I totally forgot about the Rhyno Lites. They are a good choice. I stopped drilling out my rims, too. But then again, they finally started making oversized tubes in Presta. Otherwise, I'd have no problem with it...especially on a RL.
Old 12-20-13, 01:30 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There aren't many that take rim brake rims anymore.
You must not be looking very hard. I see all manner of Alex rims online, as well as Sun Ringle' ranging from lowly CR-18s to the ever-trusty Rhyno-Lites - - both pinned and welded-and-machined.
Old 12-21-13, 02:36 AM
floating dutchy

Bikes: 2013 GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
For my two 26” mountain bikes––which I use for commuting and long distance rides––I purchased two Rhyno Lite wheelsets with Deore hubs.

The first wheelset was with Deore 32-spoke M530 hubs (allows rim brake usage only). I paid just $90 for the new wheelset from www.BlueSkyCycling.com roughly 2 years ago via the Internet.

The second wheelset was with Deore 32-spoke M525 hubs (allows rim brake & 6-bolt disc brake usage). I paid $125.00 for the new wheelset at a Performance Bikes shop located 14 miles from my house. This latter wheelset was purchased in early summer of 2013. This same wheelset is currently available at www.blueskycycling.com for $109.98 via the link (date of the link being 12-20-2013):

These Rhyno Lite rims are double-walled and incredibly strong. You’ll also need to purchase a roll of Velox rim tape for each rim.

Additionally, both wheelsets came with valve stem holes drilled for Presta valves.

Initially, I wasn’t into Presta valves, but they have some positive attributes that have grown on me. While I could have drilled the holes to allow Schrader valves, the rim remains stronger via the smaller Presta valve stem hole.

I run Bontrager H2 26” x 2.0 street tires on these wheelsets (my favorite 26” street tires), inflated to 70 PSI for optimized rolling efficiency. To my friend and cousin’s surprise (who also love these tires), these tires provide a surprisingly smooth ride even when inflated to 70 PSI which allows them to roll efficiently hence, fast for your effort.
I still don't understand why mountain-bikers peruse with the schrader valves, the presta valves are the cat's pajamas in my view.
Old 12-21-13, 06:23 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by Gnosis

Those are disc brake wheels. All I'm looking for are rim brake rims. I'm building a front dynamo wheel, already have the hub. I'm also rebuilding my rear as that rim is dented but that isn't a priority.

Oh, and schraeder valves? I went to change a flat yesterday and my spare had a schraeder valve but the rim is drilled for presta. I will now check every tube and tire a bike shop sells me. 3 times in the last few years they handed me something other than what I asked for. 26" tube? I got home and it was a 24. 700c tire? After paying as I put it into my jersey pocket I see they gave me a 650. This was an expensive Conti GP4000 also. I had to wait for a manager to appear to give me a refund as store policy was exchanges only, and they didn't have a 700c. (it wasn't that they didn't want to give me a refund, the worker just didn't have the ability to do it.)
Old 12-21-13, 05:58 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Oh, and schraeder valves? I went to change a flat yesterday and my spare had a schraeder valve but the rim is drilled for presta.
Old 12-22-13, 05:12 AM
zacster

I always have one of those in my toolkit. I should have thought to use it.
Old 12-22-13, 12:54 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
^^ Point is you're home now, yet still bemoaning the fact that you have a Presta-drilled rim. Obvious solutions to simple dilemmas seem to elude you.
Old 12-22-13, 01:57 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by dminor
^^ Point is you're home now, yet still bemoaning the fact that you have a Presta-drilled rim. Obvious solutions to simple dilemmas seem to elude you.
I should modify a bike to something that I never would otherwise use just because some bike shop clerk handed me the wrong type of tube? I stopped using schraeder tubes 35 years ago.