Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Comfortable, not skin tight jersey recommendation?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-04-20, 10:04 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

I have a couple of no name jerseys from Amazon that work well. I ordered a nicer jersey from Competitive Cyclist in my typical size but it was way too small and very form fitting. I also made the mistake of trying some Castelli jerseys on at Sports Basement and my frame is anything but ready for an Italian jersey lol. I am 5.6" 165lbs, a tiny gut but a gut non the less. I am looking for a jersey thats comfortable, I do not need a skin tight, aerodynamic jersey. Any recommendations?
Old 06-04-20, 10:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'd think you could get any jersey you like to fit the way you want by getting the next size up?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-05-20, 03:17 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Jerseys come in different standard cuts. Not all that different than blue jeans, boot cut, relaxed fit, "501's", etc..."Club" is a bit looser & longer than a "race" cut.

Also some brands run a full size (or more) larger or a full size (or more) smaller depending on what you are comparing a particular jersey against.

As someone who has 1 really good jersey & about a dozen more whose fit is suspect or oughtright wrong, I suggest you go to an actual bike shop & try the real deal before you buy.

I would expect to easily spend ~$80 or more at a bike shop for the right jersey that fits, that has silicone grippers & elastic at the cuffs, a good zipper, lots of panels to actually fit human shape, a zippered phone pocket, fabric that ventilates well, yet is heavy enough to block UV & hold together through years of washing.

A generic stretchy mesh fabric article on Amazon?--Well, you get what you pay for!

FWIW: I really like my XL sized Cuore race jersey. It's form fitting but not tight. Primal club cut in size large works well enough for me too but is way, WAY, looser.

Good luck on your search.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-05-20, 04:25 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My most comfortable summer weight jersey is a Garneau Lemmon II. The look and fit are comparable to 1970s merino wool jerseys, snug but not skin tight, very stretchy. The material is very thin and feels like the finest, softest cotton, but it's all polyester fabric. Breathes well, just a great all around jersey. I think Garneau may be discontinuing it so I need to order another while they're still available. I'm going on two years with one in green, very satisfied.

Lots of nice little touches, such as highly reflective bits that are almost unnoticeable in daylight -- the black logo is also reflective. There's a fourth pocket for... whatever. Usually I put my mini wallet with ID in there. No zipper or button pocket, which I wish it had. I have a Bontrager jersey that's almost as comfortable and does have a zipper security pocket. But the fabric isn't quite as soft and breathable for hot humid rides.

I also have some very snug, pretty aero fit Pearl Izumi Elite Pursuit Speed jerseys, which are also excellent values and great for chasing PRs. The shoulders have thicker, more rigid plasticky feeling fabric. Those run short in the waist and are for bibs.

But the Garneau Lemmon II is what I usually wear for hot, humid rides. And it runs just long enough to cover the waistline with shorts. I switch between shorts and bibs so that's a good touch.
Old 06-05-20, 01:23 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I am 5'5" 165 and a large Rapha Classic jersey fits really nice. Bibs underneath hold the muffin top in.

I tried a Rapha Core jersey and no bueno. Brevet line is supposed to be more relaxed too like the Classic, but I haven't tried it - I found the Classic line and stopped searching.
Old 06-05-20, 05:53 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by puma1552
I am 5'5" 165 and a large Rapha Classic jersey fits really nice. Bibs underneath hold the muffin top in.

I tried a Rapha Core jersey and no bueno. Brevet line is supposed to be more relaxed too like the Classic, but I haven't tried it - I found the Classic line and stopped searching.
Awesome thanks so much. This jersey has been on my radar, now I have a reason to try one. I am going to place an order!
Old 06-05-20, 06:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Awesome thanks so much. This jersey has been on my radar, now I have a reason to try one. I am going to place an order!
FWIW, I really like the current/recently updated Core jerseys. They fit me well, have just the right amount of stretch (better than the previous version), and I think they're a great value at 80 bucks or whatever they're charging for them.
Old 06-06-20, 11:46 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I'm a fan of Pactimo kit. Their jerseys come in both Aero and traditional fit. The traditional sounds a lot like what you are looking for.

I've also found that pearl izumi sizes are very generous. I wear a large in most jerseys I've tried and a medium PI is considerably roomier than any large I've had in another brand.
Old 06-06-20, 01:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Jersey aka Knit fabric , I got a polo style shirt of wicking fabric from North Face,,
Old 06-06-20, 03:08 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
You'll like it - I've got both the short and long sleeve versions of the Classic II jersey in large and I love both of them. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-06-20, 03:51 PM
InvertedMP 

I've got a Classic II on the way. Really excited to get it.
Old 06-06-20, 06:44 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Bontreger Solstice Jersey's. On sale at trek superstore online. I have a loose fit large and an extra large both fit great. I'm 6'2 225.