Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc brake pads too close

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 03:50 AM
Owie D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi people, I recently bought a second-hand croix de fer and was advised the rear brake pads would need changing. This is my first time with disc brakes and certainly with cable-hydraulic hybrid. I've bought some Shimano BS01 pads which are apparently compatible with the TRP HY/RD caliper but the pads are not sitting far enough apart and still a way off from fitting around the disc. The most common suggestion is to lever them back - I've tried this numerous times and I'm pretty convinced they're not going back. I think a new caliper might be needed but would be grateful for any other suggestions. Thank you very much
Old 06-03-20, 04:51 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
The pistons need to be pushed back before replacing the pads. The proper tool is the plastic block that comes with the brakes, but you probably don't have that. You could use the old pads and a flat screwdriver to wedge them back. This is the user manual for those brake calipers - https://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/...nal_053113.pdf
Old 06-03-20, 05:12 AM
Owie D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks dsaul - i've tried the screwdriver against the old pads but to no avail. I'll take a look at the manual though - cheers
Old 06-04-20, 10:55 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Are you sure the calipers are mech/hydro and not the TRP mechanical calipers. The current croix de fer 10 has TRP mechanical calipers. If so you would need to find the adjusting screw/knob and retract the piston.
Old 06-05-20, 04:16 AM
Owie D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes they are definitely mech/hydrualic combo. I think the bike is from 3 or 4 years back