Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Tiny Shifter Washer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 01:23 PM
Shoeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently bought a set of 2009+ Campagnolo shifters they were missing two of the teenie tiny brass washers. When I went to install on the bike I popped one of the washers off it fell to the ground & is lost forever! Question, are they really necessary & can I do damage to the shifter body or cable & will it affect shifting not having them in there. I'm sure I'm not the first guy this has happened too.
Thanks
Old 06-04-20, 09:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Are you talking about Ergo brifters? IIRC campy still offered frame mounted levers back then. For the brake/shift units there are a few slightly different sized shim/washers that are, by my experience, to take up axial slop due to tolerance issues from manufacturing the various parts. I recently rebuilt a set of Ergo levers and should have added a shim or two. The shifter works quite well but I can feel the slight amount of wiggle the thumb release levre has that's greater then that of the other side. When I retape this bike I will catch up to that. Andy
Old 06-04-20, 10:50 PM
Shoeman

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are the very tiny washers that replace the ferrules on the cable housing. They sit inside the shifter body, Campy started using them instead of ferrules from 2009 on the Gumby Shaped ergos 10 & 11 speed.