Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Returning to racing after 30 years ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 02:59 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts

After 30 years off I'm planning to get back in to racing this summer. Anyone else done this? I'm 52, fair shape, but not even close to the condition I was in for my last race as a Cat 1 in 1981. Started doing some club rides last year. By the end of the summer I could do 30 miles averaging about 20 which I assume is still a ways from even Cat 4/5 so have some work to do between now and spring/summer. Thinking about trying to follow Carmicheal's Time Crunched Cyclist. Any advice welcomed!
Old 02-01-10, 03:15 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Any advice welcomed!
Yea- Don't do it.

Didn't have that long a layoff but at 52 I decided to get back to my serious offroad Enduros and long rides that I used to do. It had taken me a while to get over the Bypass but I felt that I could do it. Boy was that training hard. I really got into it and fitness started coming back. Then another setback and it was a couple of years before I did my first 100 miler.

Training had been hard but not hard enough. That first enduro hurt. I mean really hurt. Didn't stop me though as I had proved I could do the distance- just not do it well enough. So for the next 3 years I trained harder and longer and did this ride each year. Finally sense got hold of me and I realised that I was expecting just a bit too much from this body that was getting more tired and worn out each year.

So if you are going back- make certain that you do get the training in. Most of which is going to be the mental part. It takes a lot of effort to keep going when you get slaughtered by the 20 year old on a bike that he cannot ride and you cannot afford. Untill you realise that you have to train harder and longer on a body that just wants to take a rest.

It will be hard but you are only young once- You can do it.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-01-10, 03:59 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do it. I began racing and the training needed to compete successfully three years ago. I'm lucky that my son began racing at the same time as me then a couple of my riding buddies also started to race last year. Due in part to my son's ability and success a team welcomed all of us on board. I'm lucky to be able to hook up with a training partner when needed. 1.5 hour/ Zone 3 cemetery crits with 6 other riders are a blast.

Racing as the old Cat 5 guy the first year wasn't as fun as racing Cat 4 and Master's last summer. I'm looking forward to more regional age group races this year with some of the great guys I've met around the race scene.