Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folders in the wild - post your photos

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folders in the wild - post your photos

Old 06-25-18, 02:06 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder

Along the route of yesterday’s CicLAvia event in Los Angeles (ciclavia.org) A complete and total immersion into cycling, skating, walking and other modes of non-automotive transportation....and fun!
I wanted to do that but I had a speaking engagement that day. :-(
Old 06-25-18, 03:07 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Will do again

Originally Posted by bikingbill
I wanted to do that but I had a speaking engagement that day. :-(
I've been threatening to attend one for quite awhile. We enjoyed it enough that we'll do it again (despite the long drive from the IE where we live)
We encountered just 1 lone Brompton, and also spied one BF. Plenty of numerous Dahons and Terns though. Tern had a display tent.
Next time we go we'll be taking our (still being built) soon-to-be new Bromptons as well.
Old 06-25-18, 03:33 PM
Justinitus

Bikes: Giant Revolt Adv, Surly Straggler Flat Bar, Trek Farley Fat, Brompton M6R Black Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Taken back in January on a lovely sunny but cold winters day. Quick grocery trip into town on the Tern. This is Quaker’s Walk a lovely tree lined bridleway some 700 years old.
Old 06-25-18, 03:57 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinitus
Taken back in January on a lovely sunny but cold winters day. Quick grocery trip into town on the Tern. This is Quaker’s Walk a lovely tree lined bridleway some 700 years old.
Not that far from me. About 44 miles as the crow flies.
Old 06-25-18, 11:16 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Our Dahons on visits to Warsaw, Poland, on two different years. When there is no post around, we lock the bikes together.

View of castle across Vistula, 2015

In front of a tea shop, 2018
Old 06-26-18, 06:29 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Same bike at Oyama Cable Car station in Isehara City, Kanagawa Prefecture

How do you travel with your bike? Just pack it in a bag on the train or something? I have a very similar Dahon Mu and might also visit that area soonish, though having thought about it Id probably take my other bike. And while here do you get any creaking on your Mu? My bike constantly creaks and I have no idea how to solve it. Several times I thought I fixed it, and it does go away for a few rides but then comes back worse than ever ;( Its covered in grease and I even replaced the headset, no dice.
Old 06-27-18, 07:32 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Did you lube the pivot?
I have gone over my bike tightening and lubing everything. From the front wheel qr tightened and lubed on all sides to changing out the carbon seatpost to alloy, changing the headset to a litepro one and flooding the headset with lube while installing. And the main fold hinge is dripping in grease. As far as I know anything that moves is greased. And I inspected the front carbon fork while changing out the headset, found no damage and could not make it creak, inspected the frame also, no signs of damage. I am lost, no idea how to stop the sound or what is making it. And its super loud and frequent too, but also intermittent. Like today, started to creak 10mins into my ride to work and was super loud by the time I got there, but was almost totally silent all the way home 9 hours later along the same route just reversed. Its driving my crazy!
Old 06-27-18, 07:51 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by kidshibuya
Its driving my crazy!
Oh, so I wasn't imagining it all! I've been investigating a similar creaking noise ever since I bought my Mu a few weeks ago. I've gone through it with a fine tooth comb: headset; hinge; pivot; seat post clamp, made sure the seat post shim was correctly positioned; pedals; crank bolts; bottom bracket; rear derailleur, its hanger... nothing. Everything looked well in order. It's exactly as you described it: frequent, yet intermittent, and annoyingly, almost embarrassingly, loud! And it seems to be originating somewhere around the bracket for the jackstand.
Old 06-29-18, 04:01 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had creaks from most parts of a Dahon. The handlepost clamp, the main hinge, the seatpost shim against the interior of the frame. On my Vitesse I had to keep the entire surface area of the main hinge plates greased. The powdercoat quickly wore through on parts of the contact areas and there's bare aluminium touching; almost guaranteed to creak. The interior of the frame against the exterior of the seat post shim is also aluminium on aluminium; worth greasing, taking care to avoid getting any on the interior of the shim.
Old 06-29-18, 11:17 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
The interior of the frame against the exterior of the seat post shim is also aluminium on aluminium; worth greasing, taking care to avoid getting any on the interior of the shim.
Thank you for mentioning this! I was just thinking about trying exactly that.
Old 07-04-18, 04:50 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Dahon Dash Altena in Abiansemal

Old 07-04-18, 08:06 AM
rishardh

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Beautiful pic. If not for the bike and trees the left and right look like mirror images. Nicely done
Old 07-05-18, 06:42 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by rishardh
Beautiful pic. If not for the bike and trees the left and right look like mirror images. Nicely done
Thanks. The sky is blown out (due to poor camera), but it was a glorious ride through the central Bali country side. I've bern here over a decade, but the place still stuns with gorgeous natural scenery. Balinese kids flying kites, flocks of ducks and geese on the country roads, luscious rice fields...something out of a movie.
Old 07-12-18, 06:59 PM
Bholio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rode some singletrack on vacation. Very impressed by the montague. Very solid, felt like a 1990's rigid mtb. No hint of flex, rattle or instability. I could not tell I was on a folder from the saddle. It happens to fit me quite well and was far more comfortable than I expected. The beach tires helped with loose sand on the trail. I did about 33 miles(51km), over 20(32km) was on singletrack.

Old 07-12-18, 07:11 PM
Bholio

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Also did a little riding near disney in orlando, fl. A flat ended my ride, spare tube was wrong size, used a skab patch to get back to my hotel. Wish I got more pics, but forgot all about it after the flat.

Old 07-27-18, 04:55 AM
Abu Mahendra

Country folk, country road

Old 07-28-18, 04:45 PM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

My Downtube Mini in Modoc county California, hot and smoky from wildfires.

At Detroit Lake in Oregon
Old 07-30-18, 11:22 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Williamsburg - Brooklyn, New York City:

WillyB, Brooklyn-NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 07-31-18, 05:33 AM
Abu Mahendra

Old 08-01-18, 03:24 AM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Abu Mahendra,

Do you have any pics of your bike with the volcano errupting in the background? That would the pic to rule them all.
Old 08-01-18, 03:48 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Abu Mahendra,

Do you have any pics of your bike with the volcano errupting in the background? That would the pic to rule them all.
Good idea. I'll get on it right away...Seriously, though, the volcano, mount Agung, is visible on a clear day from where I live. At 3,000+ masl it is not exactly inconspicuous...
Old 08-01-18, 04:01 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Good idea. I'll get on it right away...Seriously, though, the volcano, mount Agung, is visible on a clear day from where I live. At 3,000+ masl it is not exactly inconspicuous...
dont take photos of it man.
people have dyed in volcano, many are trapped and many lost thry homes.
Be positive and respectfull with natural disaster victms
Old 08-01-18, 04:05 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
dont take photos of it man.
people have dyed in volcano, many are trapped and many lost thry homes.
Be positive and respectfull with natural disaster victms
many people think that volcanos only erupt like in the movies. In fact, the volcano erupts quite frequently in much smaller belches that do not kill anyone. It affects air traffic, but it is far from Hollywood-esque. Now, if the thing blows like previous eruptions in Indonesia (e.g. Toba, Tambora, Batur, Krakatau), I am toast too.
Old 08-01-18, 05:51 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
many people think that volcanos only erupt like in the movies. In fact, the volcano erupts quite frequently in much smaller belches that do not kill anyone. It affects air traffic, but it is far from Hollywood-esque. Now, if the thing blows like previous eruptions in Indonesia (e.g. Toba, Tambora, Batur, Krakatau), I am toast too.
we are talking about rinjani volcano? Or other?
this indonesian volcano is hitting broadcast here in this side of world.
if not this one im sorry, i miss interpret your comment
Old 08-01-18, 06:18 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
we are talking about rinjani volcano? Or other?
this indonesian volcano is hitting broadcast here in this side of world.
if not this one im sorry, i miss interpret your comment
No, i was not talking about Rinjani, located on the island of Lombok, where hikers were trapped due to landslides. I was talking about Agung on the island of Bali (where i live) which has erupted several times this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.