Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Pedal extenders

Old 12-12-16, 05:10 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
With regards to pedal extenders and crank eyes. Does the use of a pedal extender and the resulting extra torque on the pedal eye become a concern for the pedal eye on the crank arm breaking? has anyone broken a crank eye whilwt using a pedal extender?

Thanks and cheers
Old 02-05-17, 02:59 PM
Sweetheart14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's very exciting, we just sold a set of Pedal Extenders in Iceland, that makes 14 countries that we have sold our Pedal Extenders in, when my husband and I first started making and selling our Pedal Extenders, I never dreamed that we would be selling these Pedal Extenders around the world. I am very excited and happy.
Old 02-14-17, 01:28 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
With regards to pedal extenders and crank eyes. Does the use of a pedal extender and the resulting extra torque on the pedal eye become a concern for the pedal eye on the crank arm breaking? has anyone broken a crank eye whilwt using a pedal extender?

Thanks and cheers

I'd think it would only be an issue if the rider is putting out alot of power to begin with.
Old 02-15-17, 01:15 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Out of curiosity do these have a weight limit or no?
Old 02-20-17, 08:42 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have not officially tested them for weight limits. We did put them in a 20 ton press. The crank arm broke and the extender didn't. But once the crank arm broke we didn't test it an further. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-17, 12:07 PM
909tr1

Bikes: nashbar touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweetheart14
We have not officially tested them for weight limits. We did put them in a 20 ton press. The crank arm broke and the extender didn't. But once the crank arm broke we didn't test it an further. Hope this helps.
I just bought two sets in the 20mm size. I don't think the extenders would break as the extenders look very solid. However, does the extender cause the cranks to break? If the crank is more likely to break, how much stress can the crank take with the extenders on before it breaks?
I ride casually and I am not too concerned about. I don't put a ton of torque on my cranks. Sometimes when I climb hills does it put some stress on the cranks. I will do a long term test on these to see how it turns out.
Old 03-28-17, 10:07 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
Thank you for running a test. I don't see it harming the cranks unless you hit it with something hard or put a few tons of force on them.
Old 03-28-17, 10:08 AM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would like some feed back. We have had a few request for 15mm pedal extenders. We are trying to decide if we should make a few. Do you all think it would be a popular things?
Old 04-16-17, 09:48 PM
Popete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
WARNING - I purchased a set of these stainless steel pedal extenders made by Aseparts and sold by Cherryboy.t on eBay, and I suffered a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE while riding my bicycle.

The pedal extender on my right pedal snapped off at the end of where the threads are cut, resulting in my right foot hitting the pavement, my abdomen hitting my handlebars, and my body being flung into the center of the roadway. I suffered a sore right ankle, cuts and abrasions on my right elbow and right knee, a chip in my right elbow, and severe hematoma in my abdomen.

I believe my accident is due to the FAULTY DESIGN of this product - these pedal extenders are made with a HOLLOW CENTER. I believe that over time, the push and pull action on a bicycle pedal will cause the pedal extender to break off at the point where the threads are cut. I had used these pedal extenders for about 8 months before the right one broke off without any warning.

I have looked at pedal extenders being sold by other companies, and they are all made out of a SOLID piece of metal. And I am unable to find any bicycle pedal manufacturer making pedals with a hollow axel. I believe Aseparts needs to stop production of these hollow pedal extenders immediately.

When I tried to contact the Aseparts company after my accident, the only contact information I could find was that the seller was “Cherryboy.t” on eBay. I sent a message (thru eBay) describing my accident and asked if they were aware of any other failures of their pedal extenders. Cherryboy.t responded saying if I sent my broken pedal back, they would send me a new set. I wrote back, saying I did not want another set, all I wanted to know is if there were any other people who have reported a broken pedal extender. Cherryboy.t responded saying if I sent my broken pedal back, they would refund my money.

I was very upset. At no time did Cherryboy.t ask about my injuries, or offer any indication that they cared about the possibility of a defect in their product design. And they never did respond to my question about whether any other people had reported a broken pedal extender. The only way I could contact the Aseparts company was through eBay, and I had no idea who I was corresponding with, where the company was located, or what the company’s phone number was. All I had was the name of an eBay store called "Cherryboy.t".

My advice to anyone purchasing pedal extenders, or any other critical bicycle component where its failure could result in the loss of your life, is to deal only with a reputable manufacturer. Select one with a website, an address, contact information, and a good reputation, where you can contact them if you have any problem with the product. From what I can tell, the Aseparts company is a few people living near Jacksonville FL with access to a machine shop who formed an LLC to sell some automotive parts on eBay. I have serious doubt whether they perform any research and development on these pedal extenders, or have any quality control in place, or are regulated by any manufacturing rules or regulations.

Luckily, after 10 months my injuries have healed, and I believe I learned a valuable lesson about making eBay purchases. My purpose in writing this message is to warn other people, so they do not make the same mistake that I did.
Likes For Popete:
Old 04-16-17, 10:06 PM
Popete

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 909tr1
I just bought two sets in the 20mm size. I don't think the extenders would break as the extenders look very solid. However, does the extender cause the cranks to break? If the crank is more likely to break, how much stress can the crank take with the extenders on before it breaks?
I ride casually and I am not too concerned about. I don't put a ton of torque on my cranks. Sometimes when I climb hills does it put some stress on the cranks. I will do a long term test on these to see how it turns out.
I suggest that you not perform a long term test with these pedal extenders. When mine broke off, I didn't even know what happened, I just ended up in the middle of the street, bloody and bruised. I got up, pulled my bicycle onto the grass, sat down and noticed my pedal had broken off, right where the pedal extender screws into the crank. I had used the pedal extenders about 8 months before they failed without any warning.

I believe there is a major design flaw in these Aseparts pedal extenders - they have a HOLLOW shaft. I think the push-pull on the pedal weakens the pedal extender over time, until it snaps off. Kind of like when you bend a metal tube back and forth, back and forth, until it eventually breaks in half.

After my accident, I looked at other pedal extenders and found they are all machined out of a solid piece of metal. I assume they do this to increase their strength. So it got me to thinking, are there any bicycle pedals manufactured with hollow axels ? Nope, I couldn't find a single pedal made with a hollow axel. I'm thinking that if no pedals are made with hollow axels, it's probably not a good idea to use a hollow pedal extender.
Old 04-16-17, 10:21 PM
Popete

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Thanks and cheers
I have never had a crank arm break off, but believe me, it would be a catastrophic crash. I had a terrible crash with a set of these Aseparts pedal extenders that Sweetheart14 and her husband sell. My pedal extender broke off right where it screws into the crank, leaving the threaded part of the pedal extender in the crank, and leaving me sprawled out in the middle of the street after my foot hit the ground. Luckily there wasn't any traffic on the road, so I didn't get run over, and my injuries healed up after 5-6 months. But I had no idea that breaking off a pedal or a crank or a pedal extender would result in such a bad crash !
Likes For Popete:
Old 04-17-17, 08:14 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Wow, I would not want hollow pedal extenders.
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 04-17-17, 12:24 PM
R200

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, I would not want hollow pedal extenders.
I own pedal extenders from KneeSavers, Sunlite, and Aseparts that I use on a variety of bicycles and unicycles. Although I weigh about 250 pounds and tend to mash the pedals more than I should, I have had no problem with any of these. Even though I haven't conducted a specific stress analysis, as an engineer I don't see any problem with the hollow shaft Aseparts design.

The majority of the strength of this kind of component will be in the outside skin of the extension so a solid core doesn't offer as much additional strength as one might otherwise think. Frankly, I am more concerned with the large step and resulting stress concentration of the other designs. In any event, the choice of material and heat treatment will have a greater effect on the yield strength than the differences between any of these geometries.

Overall I am happy with the Aseparts version and I plan to buy a few more. Their price is very reasonable, it is made in America, and you can almost buy all three sizes for the price of one pair of KneeSavers. I will add though that I think it is critical that any leverage enhancing component like this be kept tight and I would avoid using any washers that might reduce the threaded coupling area and/or aggravate the strain.
Likes For R200:
Old 04-23-17, 07:06 PM
Popete

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by R200
I own pedal extenders from KneeSavers, Sunlite, and Aseparts that I use on a variety of bicycles and unicycles. Although I weigh about 250 pounds and tend to mash the pedals more than I should, I have had no problem with any of these. Even though I haven't conducted a specific stress analysis, as an engineer I don't see any problem with the hollow shaft Aseparts design.

The majority of the strength of this kind of component will be in the outside skin of the extension so a solid core doesn't offer as much additional strength as one might otherwise think. Frankly, I am more concerned with the large step and resulting stress concentration of the other designs. In any event, the choice of material and heat treatment will have a greater effect on the yield strength than the differences between any of these geometries.

Overall I am happy with the Aseparts version and I plan to buy a few more. Their price is very reasonable, it is made in America, and you can almost buy all three sizes for the price of one pair of KneeSavers. I will add though that I think it is critical that any leverage enhancing component like this be kept tight and I would avoid using any washers that might reduce the threaded coupling area and/or aggravate the strain.
I wish somebody would perform a real stress test on the hollow pedal extenders. I still think the hollow shaft is the reason why mine broke off and caused my crash. I had no washers on the extender and it was screwed in tight.

When comparing the difference between Kneesavers, Sunlight and Aseparts, be sure to examine the company structure. Both Kneesavers and Sunlight have been around a long time and have a company web page. There is a company address and contact information where you can call and talk to a real person. There are reviews that you can read about their products.

But for Aseparts, all you can find is an eBay seller called " cherry boy.t ", with no way to contact the company other than thru the eBay message system. Since my pedal extender broke 8 months after my eBay purchase, I am unable to leave any buyer feedback on eBay warning others of their catastrophic failure. And I am unable to find the Aseparts company listed anywhere that I can file a complaint or leave a review.

I am pretty sure if I had purchased a Kneesavers or Sunlight pedal extender and one of them broke off, those companies would have been all over it trying to fix it right. Aseparts did not seem to care in the least, but then again, I couldn't even call and talk to them on the phone. All I could do is send an eBay message.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I really think the extra dollars for the reputable pedals from Kneesavers and Sunlight are worth the safety and peace of mind.
Likes For Popete:
Old 04-27-17, 01:08 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Popete
I wish somebody would perform a real stress test on the hollow pedal extenders. I still think the hollow shaft is the reason why mine broke off and caused my crash. I had no washers on the extender and it was screwed in tight.

When comparing the difference between Kneesavers, Sunlight and Aseparts, be sure to examine the company structure. Both Kneesavers and Sunlight have been around a long time and have a company web page. There is a company address and contact information where you can call and talk to a real person. There are reviews that you can read about their products.

But for Aseparts, all you can find is an eBay seller called " cherry boy.t ", with no way to contact the company other than thru the eBay message system. Since my pedal extender broke 8 months after my eBay purchase, I am unable to leave any buyer feedback on eBay warning others of their catastrophic failure. And I am unable to find the Aseparts company listed anywhere that I can file a complaint or leave a review.

I am pretty sure if I had purchased a Kneesavers or Sunlight pedal extender and one of them broke off, those companies would have been all over it trying to fix it right. Aseparts did not seem to care in the least, but then again, I couldn't even call and talk to them on the phone. All I could do is send an eBay message.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I really think the extra dollars for the reputable pedals from Kneesavers and Sunlight are worth the safety and peace of mind.
If there's no way to contact a company or seller BEFORE I buy then that to me is a red flag to avoid that seller.

Cheers
Old 07-27-18, 10:00 AM
Claude.fr

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
A while ago, my husband made me a set of pedal extenders. It really made my weekend riding much more enjoyable. So much so we decided to make them and sell them. It has been going well. I now have a question. A few people have asked for a set threaded to 14mm. Is this something we should make?

Thank you,

Sweetheart14.

Hi Sweetie,

Is it something you should make ?
I would like to, you would have a customer here with at least 1 bike + possibly another 2 to equip.

That said I am sufficiently familiar with industrial process to understand that a one off, a prototype would turn out very expensive to produce, and would come up with a retail price making the whole operation not worth it from a customer perspective.

I can think of two, coincidentally US made, items which are helpful for vintage french bike owners, a French Threaded, Sealed Cartridge Bottom Bracket made by Vélo Orange*which provides a direct fit/bolt on solution.
Also available from the famous Swedish bearing manufacturer SKF.
There is also, cannot remember their name right now, a US based source for longer than the, very short, french standard aluminum seat posts commonly found on vintage race bikes available in various diameters.

Does that suggest that there is a market ?

In other words, in particular regarding seat posts, if it weren't for American entrepreneurs a good deal of French bikes way to small for tall young riders would have ended on the scrap metal heap.
Instead "a" number (How large, I don't know) of beautiful Vitus/Colombus/Reynolds frames have been granted a new lease of life converted into Fixies, Single speeds, classic "randonneurs" or very stylish (and light) flat handlebar commuter bikes.
Should you check the European equivalents of Craigslist you will find out that vintage high end crank sets, sometimes NOS, or hardly used are listed every week.
If I were in your position, with your expertise, I would contact the major European on line bike parts retailers (Germans and Dutch) in order to find out how they feel about a 14x1.25 to 9/16" extender in 25 mm and 30mm, for a start.
Hope this helps.
Claude.

Last edited by Claude.fr; 07-27-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-28-18, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I added a set 20 years ago , because, in my case , my intention was to have warm dry feet ,

with shoe covers on, and not wear a hole in them rubbing against the crank arms, for weeks..

Starting on an early season bike tour of western Ireland.
Old 08-07-18, 01:41 PM
Sweetheart14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Claude.fr,
I got your note. As for the 14mm pedal extender. We are working on one. It would allow you to use your 9/16-20 pedal with the french crank arm. It has been in the works for sometime. Along with titanium pedal extenders. And we are about to release 2mm stainless steel washers. The reason it has taken us so long. These pedal extenders took off much better that we could have hoped for. But each time we get a bit of inventory built up something happens to slow us down again. My husband has had a go of it. 1st he had to have a softball sized tumor removed from his left shoulder. Then he had a bad heart attack. But he is doing allot better. He is the machining part of this team. When he is sick no parts get made. But on the upside. We since have moved our company and shop into a much larger building. We are in the process of adding more machines so we can keep up and hopefully build up a nice inventory so we can introduce more parts.

I do like the suggestions. We have a few more type of pedal extenders we are looking to do. Possible a pedal. My husband has made a few prototypes, we have given them to a few engineering students to "test".

If you could post a photo or two of the parts you think might be worth making, we would love to look at them.

As for European retailers, we have a few in England. Once I know where we are going on the other parts we will contact them.
Old 08-13-18, 07:04 AM
Claude.fr

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Hi Claude.fr,
I got your note. As for the 14mm pedal extender. We are working on one. It would allow you to use your 9/16-20 pedal with the french crank arm. It has been in the works for sometime.
Along with titanium pedal extenders.

And we are about to release 2mm stainless steel washers. The reason it has taken us so long. These pedal extenders took off much
Bonjour SH,
Thanks for your answer, do not hesitate to keep me updated.
At this stage, I haven't decided what I am going to do with this bike.
I am considering the following options :
- getting rid of this exotic french TA crankset and consider a modern crankset threaded to the standard 9/16".
- reluctantly tap out to 9/16" myself with the Park or Var dedicated tool (rented ? borrowed ? second hand ?but under no circumstances bought new), as the local bike shops aren't just interested these days to tap out old crank arms.
- wait for a straightforward "bolt on" solution 14x125 to 9/16" 20 TPI extender which you may provide.

Did I mentioned that I am not in a hurry ?

Old 08-14-18, 05:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Claude.fr

Bonjour SH,
Thanks for your answer, do not hesitate to keep me updated.
At this stage, I haven't decided what I am going to do with this bike.
I am considering the following options :
- getting rid of this exotic french TA crankset and consider a modern crankset threaded to the standard 9/16".
- reluctantly tap out to 9/16" myself with the Park or Var dedicated tool (rented ? borrowed ? second hand ?but under no circumstances bought new), as the local bike shops aren't just interested these days to tap out old crank arms.
- wait for a straightforward "bolt on" solution 14x125 to 9/16" 20 TPI extender which you may provide.

Did I mentioned that I am not in a hurry ?

You can make your own taps that work just fine for this from pedal axles from a discarded set of pedals. Strip out the axles, file or Dremel 3 or 4 sharp grooves across the threads, mount axle in a sturdy vise, use anti-seize for lube, carefully start by catching the first couple of threads to make sure it is going straight and then slowly work the crank arm back and forth while working your way down. I have done this many times with great success every time.
Old 09-29-19, 02:43 AM
Hemstein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pedal extenders

If the safest pedal extenders are those that are solid and not hollow, this means that you cannot use pedal extenders on pedals without flats on the spindle. Correct? Or is there some other way to fasten and allen key pedal to a solid extender?

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-09-19, 09:08 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with your assessment.

Specialized had sold hollow pedal extenders a few years ago which worked with allen key pedals. They were recalled.
I removed mine.

I chose Speedplay Frog pedals, partly because they don't use the allen key.

Another consideration with pedal extenders is that you probably should not use them with carbon cranks.
Old 11-11-19, 06:23 AM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's rather normal that the crank arm broke before the extender, given same or bigger extender strength, the forces momentum increases with the distance and the extender moves the crank to a bigger distance - a pedal extender increases the momentum already by its presence, or put in other words: for a given force it can make a crank arm break when it wouldn't have broken without the extender. Or put in yet other words: maybe it could make sense to make the extender only just as strong as the crank/its pedal eye since stronger is useless and if economics are taken into account, more costly for no gain, on top of a crank replacement that may (likely) cost more than an extender replacement.
Old 11-11-19, 11:45 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
One can now get pedal extenders at 20mm for 5USD from ebay and they did make my knees feel good, but, 20mm was a bit long for me so I am using a 4.5mm washer on my pedal axle. I hope I don't break my crank. 4.5mm seems to be enough.

4.5mm washer for increased Q Factor
by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
I will look out for less clunky washers!
Old 11-13-19, 05:38 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
One can now get pedal extenders at 20mm for 5USD from ebay and they did make my knees feel good, but, 20mm was a bit long for me so I am using a 4.5mm washer on my pedal axle. I hope I don't break my crank. 4.5mm seems to be enough.

4.5mm washer for increased Q Factor by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
I will look out for less clunky washers!
Wow looks great. Can't even tell it's there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.