Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hanging bike on the wall without wheels...any solutions out there?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 03:54 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there, not sure this is the best sub-forum for this question but it seemed the best fit, so here we go

I am somehow space-limited in my apartment and need to find a good way to store my spare-bike. There is a piece of wall where I could hang it vertically (front wheel up) but it's a big bike and the saddle will reach too far into the room. So my idea was to hang it up without wheels and store the wheels somewhere else. To do this I'd need some sort of contraption that I can attach the fork and rear dropouts to via quick releases, similar to some inserts I have seen for bike travel bags.

Is anyone aware of such a solution that is wall-mountable and readily available? Otherwise I guess it could be self-fabricated pretty easily but I am not sure what to use for the "axes"...maybe some spare parts from a roof rack?

Any ideas will be much appreciated
Old 08-22-18, 05:02 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Try searching "bike fork mount" on your browser...may be the solution you are looking for...cheap, just make sure you get the correct size for your bike/axle. If you go this route, be sure to have a grip on your bike before releasing the qr...these mounts are usually used with the bike upright (I've carried mine many miles in my vehicle using these mounts).
Old 08-22-18, 05:39 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Find a low cost rear hub with a QR and hang it by the hub with a single hook using the forks to keep it straight on the wall. This will place the saddle higher. I assume you don't have room to hang the frame against the wall, just a narrow open wall.
Old 08-22-18, 05:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4207 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
There have been wall mounted "hook like arms" that allow the handle bars to be used and the seat becomes the third point contacting the wall. So the crank/BB is facing out. Andy
Old 08-22-18, 06:48 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Is your wall space too narrow to hang the bike along the wall?
Like this:

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
There have been wall mounted "hook like arms" that allow the handle bars to be used and the seat becomes the third point contacting the wall. So the crank/BB is facing out. Andy
That's a lot easier than trying to clamp both dropouts. The downside is the the oily chainring is facing out.

With dropout clamps, the rear dropout would have to be extended from the wall so that the chainring doesn't touch the wall. It would be a little difficult to hold the frame up and tighten one of the clamps at the same time.

THIS: Perhaps each clamp could be mounted to a piece of wood, then the top clamp's wood base would be set on wall hooks, like those available for garden tools. That sounds easier!

To hang by handlebars & saddle:
A pair of these hardware store hooks mounted on a board. Hang by the bars, with the saddle against the wall. (Bike specific wall hangers are for top tubes, extending out from the wall. That wouldn't work as well.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-22-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 12:26 PM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I've got something very similar to your picture already for bike 1 and 2. Bike 3 is the problem Can't hang it the same way, the space is very narrow. I like the idea of hanging the bike by the handlebar but I don't like the chain and chainrings facing outwards...I guess I could cover them with something but that might look a little weird....the bike fork mounts look good, I guess that could be worth a try. I'll report back when I've built something Thanks again, everybody!

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Is your wall space too narrow to hang the bike along the wall?
Like this:

That's a lot easier than trying to clamp both dropouts. The downside is the the oily chainring is facing out.

With dropout clamps, the rear dropout would have to be extended from the wall so that the chainring doesn't touch the wall. It would be a little difficult to hold the frame up and tighten one of the clamps at the same time.

THIS: Perhaps each clamp could be mounted to a piece of wood, then the top clamp's wood base would be set on wall hooks, like those available for garden tools. That sounds easier!

To hang by handlebars & saddle:
A pair of these hardware store hooks mounted on a board. Hang by the bars, with the saddle against the wall. (Bike specific wall hangers are for top tubes, extending out from the wall. That wouldn't work as well.)
Old 08-23-18, 12:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Put a hub in rear, keep the chain from dangling.. Pedros has a widget to function that way too.

these look good ; https://cycloc.com/ps/

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-18 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 01:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Or ... Two metal shelf brackets and some pipe insulation. $12 (I'm guessing) at Home Depot. Find two adjacent studs, screw in the brackets with lag screws, fit the insulation over the bracket arms and just hang the bike by the top tube. (If you have exposed brake cable that run along the bottom of the top tube, you may want to put some electrical or packing tape on the tube in that area. I hate thos1e exposed cables.)

Ben
Old 08-23-18, 09:19 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I just moved into an apartment and needed a way to store my bikes indoors without drilling holes in the walls. I built this one with 3 - 2x4's. It's been working great so far!

Old 08-24-18, 09:13 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
What happens if you hang from the ceiling and run something (hook) to hang bike from the headtube? might need a extension or two from the wall to keep bike from spinning to left or right (eg. longer shelf brackets?)
Old 08-24-18, 02:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Sito
Hi there, not sure this is the best sub-forum for this question but it seemed the best fit, so here we go

I am somehow space-limited in my apartment and need to find a good way to store my spare-bike. There is a piece of wall where I could hang it vertically (front wheel up) but it's a big bike and the saddle will reach too far into the room. So my idea was to hang it up without wheels and store the wheels somewhere else. To do this I'd need some sort of contraption that I can attach the fork and rear dropouts to via quick releases, similar to some inserts I have seen for bike travel bags.

Is anyone aware of such a solution that is wall-mountable and readily available? Otherwise I guess it could be self-fabricated pretty easily but I am not sure what to use for the "axes"...maybe some spare parts from a roof rack?

Any ideas will be much appreciated
Could you install a hook high on the wall, remove the wheels, and hang it by the rear triangle, near the dropouts? That's how I store my spare frames, and would get the saddle out of the way if you leave it installed.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-24-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 07:07 AM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
It wouldn’t be cheap, but here is what i was thinking. You know the Pro Mechanic bike stands that you put the bike on without the wheels? Somehow remove the part that holds the bike and mount that to the wall vertically. That way the bike would hang from the front dropouts and the BB would be supported by the stand against the wall.

Not sure these stands come apart like that, and no idea how you would mount it, but just figured i’d throw it out there for an idea.

Hopefully you know the kind of bike stand i’m Talking about, i tried to post a URL, but i don’t have 10 posts yet.
Old 08-26-18, 12:55 PM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn6870
It wouldn’t be cheap, but here is what i was thinking. You know the Pro Mechanic bike stands that you put the bike on without the wheels? Somehow remove the part that holds the bike and mount that to the wall vertically. That way the bike would hang from the front dropouts and the BB would be supported by the stand against the wall.

Not sure these stands come apart like that, and no idea how you would mount it, but just figured i’d throw it out there for an idea.

Hopefully you know the kind of bike stand i’m Talking about, i tried to post a URL, but i don’t have 10 posts yet.
HI, thanks, yes, I know what you mean, but, yes, was hoping for a more economical solution I think I can fashion something similar out of the fork mount mentioned above pretty easily (hopefully)
Old 08-26-18, 01:25 PM
Crandall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My local Harbor Frieght has rubberized screw in hooks for hanging stuff in the garage. There’s all sizes and shapes. Should be perfect for what your doing. On the cheep too!