Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring on titanium frame?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring on titanium frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 11:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
When I bought my Backroad frame, Lynskey wanted over $300 for their fork that was fitted for disc brakes. I had an old LHT fork in the basement for rim brakes. The axle to crown length and the fork rake (or offset) was close to the same, so I decided to use the LHT fork. Handles well. I painted the fork black after stripping off the decals.

I also tried a Soma fork (also rim brake), and it worked fine too. I could not tell the difference between the Soma fork and the LHT fork. This is the fork I tried.
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Soma-F...oss-Fork-Canti

The Soma fork had low rider rack mounts on the outside of the fork blades, but not on the inside. For most things that is not a problem but if you wanted to use a rack like a Tubus Duo, the Soma fork would not work.

All of the photos above were with the LHT fork. The LHT forks have changed over the years, mine was a 2004 vintage.
Old 08-03-18, 02:39 PM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Well its not a Linksys, but here is my new Titanium frame Motobecane. I have been commuting with it for the last couple weeks and I really like it. It rides a bit stiffer but at the same time a little softer than my steel frame bike, if that makes any sense. I am planning a little 360 mile ride first of next week. I have no doubt it will make a decent touring bicycle.
I have a Axiom road bike rack mounted to the bike and it is rock solid. I used a mounting arm from another rack to attach the rack to one of the seat stay braze ons. I did not use the metal strip supplied with the rack that is suppose to attach the rack to the brake caliper on a rim brake road bike.
This bike has hydraulic disc brakes with briffters. I love hydraulic disc brakes, had them on one of my other bicycles- no comparison to rim brakes. It also has an 11 speed Ultegra cassette and derailleur.
The chain looks to me to be a little on the short side.
Old 08-03-18, 03:18 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
The chain looks to me to be a little on the short side.
That's exactly how chain should look when it's "cross-chained" on big ring + big cog. Also, you quoted a >2-year-old post and 2Piece has not been here for six months.
Old 08-03-18, 03:22 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
...The LHT forks have changed over the years, mine was a 2004 vintage...
The post-2011 forks have rack bosses on the sides of fork crown, visible in image below - I think that's the only change/difference from yours.

Last edited by seeker333; 08-03-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 07:01 AM
jspurlin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am very happy with my Lynskey Backroad.

But, I will be the first to admit that a Titanium loaded touring bike makes little sense and is not very cost effective. Having a Titanium frame knocks maybe two pounds off the weight of the frame, but it still is a bike designed to carry a load. For example, my Backroad frame (not counting the fork) weighs less than the rear wheel with a tire on it because it still needs a set of wheels that are robust enough to handle a touring load. Once loaded down with camping gear, cutting a couple pounds off the frame weight is not really that noticeable.

I am glad I built it up, but I got a fantastic price on the frame. I would not have bought the frame at the manufacturer price.
Nice pics! Can you describe your component and wheels selection? What kind of crankset is that? Thanks.
Old 08-18-18, 08:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by jspurlin
Nice pics! Can you describe your component and wheels selection? What kind of crankset is that? Thanks.
For a touring bike I want robust stuff that is reliable,easy to replace and repair. Thus, I wanted stuff that most bike shops can work on and already have spares on the shelf that can be fitted to it if something goes bad.

Square taper crank (Campy Race Triple, changed two chainrings so it is 46/42/24) set up for half step plus granny gearing, bottom bracket is an Origin8 that has the Campy taper but Shimano tools work on it, quarter inch steel ball bearings in the rear hub (XT M756A), an older XT rear derailler that has worked well even thought it is from the 90s (M739), Sram 11/32 eight speed cassette, KMC eight speed chain, bar end shifters, don't recall what the front derailleur is, Dyad rims front and back (36 spoke rear, 32 front), Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and Sapim nipples, SP PV8 front hub with Luxos U headlamp and USB charger, Planet Bike 45mm wide fenders, for touring a Tara front rack and RackTime AddIt rear rack, 35 or 37 mm tires (Schwalbe or Hutchinson). Front fork is a 2004 LHT 700c with V brakes on it. Pedals, A530 that take SPD cleats on one side, platform on the other.

The Lynskey is the only bike I have with a disc brake, only the rear is disc, it is a TRP Spyre 160mm. Uses a commonly available Shimano pad.

Some of the above parts are up to 20 years old, but if it is as good as the new stuff, I see no reason to avoid the old stuff.

Originally I had a Brooks Pro saddle with suspension seatpost but now have a Brooks Conquest with generic seatpost, I wanted to put the Pro on a different bike and bought a new Conquest for the Lynskey.

For simplicity most of my bikes use an eight speed chain with the same quick links and most of my derailleur bikes use the same Sram 11/32 cassette. Makes it a lot easier when you have lots of bikes to try to standardize on expendable supplies.

I leave town Monday for several weeks, so if any other questions are asked they might not get answered promptly. Will not have any cell or wifi access.
Old 08-19-18, 06:24 AM
jspurlin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thorough description!
Old 08-22-18, 10:47 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
We had a guy tour across Canada on Ti. He loved it and I was jealous. Stupid light and I was on a 520. No comparison. If I could start all over, I'd buy his bike!