Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Range Difference w/ Same Battery: Bosch vs. Brose eBikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Range Difference w/ Same Battery: Bosch vs. Brose eBikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 04:30 PM
lmike6453

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Range Difference w/ Same Battery: Bosch vs. Brose eBikes

I am looking to buy an eBike and it's most likely coming down to Trek vs Specialized, which is Bosch mid-drive vs Brose mid-drive system.

I want to get a Brose for the quieter system, with the battery more integrated, and the Specialized bikes have more style points.

However it states on their site that the range for a Turbo Como 3.0 with a 500wh battery is only 60 miles on eco mode?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tu...-650b/p/133847

While in comparison with the Trek Super Commuter+ 7, also a 500wh battery, the max range is 90 miles:
https://electricbikereview.com/trek/...mmuter-plus-7/

Can someone help me understand why? Is it that Brose isn't as efficient battery consumption?
Old 09-19-18, 09:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's probably because they just make it up. https://electricbikeblog.com/how-to-f...ic-bike-range/
Old 09-19-18, 09:37 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
+1 with the above. Range, to me, is who slings BS the best. My friend got 45 - 50 "real" off road miles with his Brose/Bulls MTB and that was with 4,000' - 5,000' of climbing. He still had a little juice in the tank.
Old 09-20-18, 02:58 PM
lmike6453

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
It's probably because they just make it up. How to figure out electric bike range
Originally Posted by 2old
+1 with the above. Range, to me, is who slings BS the best. My friend got 45 - 50 "real" off road miles with his Brose/Bulls MTB and that was with 4,000' - 5,000' of climbing. He still had a little juice in the tank.
Good to know since I want to like the Brose's range as an acceptable battery / motor system.

Does anyone know if you can ride while charging from a power inverter battery backup?
Old 09-26-18, 01:19 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 for the "take the range with large grains of salt". However, different boost algorithms and different motors can certainly result in different ranges. Also, the ability of the rider doing the factory test run ;>

As for riding while charging ... that seems like a *very* bad idea. The battery management system was almost certainly designed to charge or discharge ... even if it "works" the BMS will not be operating as designed and stressing the LiON cells could be dangerous.

My stromer does regenerative braking, but there's no boost when that happens, so the BMS remains sane.
Old 09-27-18, 11:21 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
The numbers are fiction based on you doing all the work. I cant tell you what model have the most miles on a charge, but I can tell that much of the difference between e-bike motors is what is not in the spec. IE, how they pedal without power, how they handle hitting the speed limit, how responsive they are, how they react to fast pedalling ect. To figure out what you like, go try a few different models and keep this in mind.
Old 10-10-18, 07:06 PM
papabiker 

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Alma, Santana tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
The numbers are fiction based on you doing all the work. I cant tell you what model have the most miles on a charge, but I can tell that much of the difference between e-bike motors is what is not in the spec. IE, how they pedal without power, how they handle hitting the speed limit, how responsive they are, how they react to fast pedalling ect. To figure out what you like, go try a few different models and keep this in mind.
This. I started with a Trek Powerfly and sold it after having repeted rear hub issues. I replaced it with a Specialized Levo. battery range is similar (for me), but the big difference is being able to ride the Brose without fighting the motor resistance with power off or over the limit. Love the Specialized system.
Old 10-14-18, 12:11 PM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subjectively, I can say that Yamaha is way better than Bosch, so much better it's not even funny. Why? Because, since Yamaha doesn't interfere with non-electric pedaling, it gets a better boost in +ECO and ECO modes when you pedal using muscle power.
Old 12-10-18, 10:48 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So many variables it ain't funny. Just selection of tires, tread type, compound and air pressure will make a difference in range. One outfit is prolly being conservative, one is being flamboyant ...
Old 03-20-19, 09:30 PM
billp91311

Bikes: hal eboost

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thought to consider is buying a bike with a larger battery. I have the HAL eboost and sometimes wish it had a longer range. It may be the colder weather we have been having here but I have had to cut my ride short a few times recently. There are a few bikes with the brose motor and 700wh instead of 504wh which is the going standard. Bulls has one that has the higher wh battery and emotionbikes too with the brose motor and larger battery. Let us know what you go for.
Old 03-21-19, 12:05 AM
2old

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Cold temperatures are a known entity to reduce the range of a battery; mostly, we don't deal with that in CA although my friend and I frolicked in about 8" of snow at an elevation of 4500' or so on Saddleback Mountain a couple of weeks ago. Relatively cold winter and lots more precipitation in socal this year.

EDIT: Just realized you're in socal too albeit a more northerly burg.
Old 04-04-19, 04:31 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Off subject, but I asked the Trek dealer hoe much a replacemnt battery is. He quoted me $1000
I asked the Specialized dealer the same question. He quoted me $600 for the stock battery, up to $800 for a larger capacity one.
Point is check out battery pricing and support.