Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bars with Good Multiple Hand Positions?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bars with Good Multiple Hand Positions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 01:07 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Waaait... you bent alloy? And will still use it as a seat post? Good luck I guess but it's not as bendable as steel. There may be issues
My seat post is steel, hope I didn't confuse that point. I meant that I would try bending alloy for handle bars as an experiment in the future or I may make the bars out of steel if it doesn't but I know Al doesn't take a bend as well as steel.
Old 04-29-16, 01:20 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It seems that many people don't understand what drop bars are for or how to use them. They are the almost universal choice for long events such as PBP, 765 miles in 55-90 hours. In long events like that, comfort and being able to stay on the bike for very long periods is the number one issue. Simple math tells us that the 90 hour group averages 8.5 mph. Most only get 2 hours of sleep a night so their over-the-road average would be only 9.1. So drop bars aren't particularly for racing, though they're good for that, too.

For illustrations, simply google Images for "PBP handlebars." The first few images you'll probably see will be of Jan Heine, the publisher of Bicycle Quarterly. Note the many hand positions being used in the various images.

Hand positions: Lovely Bicycle!: Drop Bar Hand Positions: an Introduction
How to avoid hand pain: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post12953035
and note the exact hand positions that these women are using.
I just looked at the lovely bicycle page.

With trekking/aero bars I get the same positions but more suited to my posture. There really is no difference.

The tops are the same.
The Ramps are the same - that's where I spend most of my time as it is.
The hooks are like aerobar positioning but I can rest on my forearms for better relief.
The hoods are the same as bar end positioning, just without the hoods. If it matters one can bundle some bar tape there as a stop.
The drops I don't like because I prefer a more upright style but the forward tops stretch me out for aerodynamics in the same way. So I lose the drops which I don't like but get the hand relief from aerobars I do like. Of course YMMV and I think it's a bit of what one gets used to.
Old 04-29-16, 02:15 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It seems that many people don't understand what drop bars are for or how to use them. They are the almost universal choice for long events such as PBP, 765 miles in 55-90 hours. In long events like that, comfort and being able to stay on the bike for very long periods is the number one issue. Simple math tells us that the 90 hour group averages 8.5 mph. Most only get 2 hours of sleep a night so their over-the-road average would be only 9.1. So drop bars aren't particularly for racing, though they're good for that, too.

For illustrations, simply google Images for "PBP handlebars." The first few images you'll probably see will be of Jan Heine, the publisher of Bicycle Quarterly. Note the many hand positions being used in the various images.

Hand positions: Lovely Bicycle!: Drop Bar Hand Positions: an Introduction
How to avoid hand pain: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post12953035
and note the exact hand positions that these women are using.
I used drop bars for 20 years. Lovely Bicycle embraces the upside down north road bar. I can say, from lengthy experience with both drops and USD north roads that the north road is vastly superior.
Old 04-29-16, 02:19 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Yep. By seat post I mean the pipe attached to the seat and not the seat tube it goes into. A very slight bend that just sets the seat back a couple of inches, which means I have to raise the post a bit to maintain the same height but the ratchet under the seat adjusts angle.

I looked at the LBS for a post with a set back to do the same thing but they came in quite expensive for what they were. I'm at work right now but will take a pic this weekend on my ride.

Bending drops would be interesting, sort of like wood chipper bars. I did do that to a set of old North Road bars to make moustache bars by putting a plank across them and driving my van on top but wouldn't recommend that Apparently I have discovered there are actual tools that can perform such tasks (though the end result was fair)!
I didn't think you meant that you bent the seat tube. : )) Yes, post a pic.
Old 04-30-16, 12:20 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
I used drop bars for 20 years. Lovely Bicycle embraces the upside down north road bar. I can say, from lengthy experience with both drops and USD north roads that the north road is vastly superior.
For you.

When I look for comfort I use a drop bar.
When I want a handy functional bar for my drunk bike I use a north road (or the equivalent). I would not dream however that I would use a north road for touring as at longer distances it's wrist killer. You can't keep your wrists straight with one wheres a drop bar allows more than one good position with absolute straight wrists.

And I guarantee you, if a jones bar offered an advantage in climbing someone would be using them at the top level. They do not however add anything because you know, physics. If you put in a certain amount of energy in the pedals you'll get a certain amount of forward movement. Waggling your body with the bar likely allows you to put more of your potential energy into the pedals /flexing the frame but you'll also be less efficient.

If you want to see about the leverage one can achieve with a drop bar, watch a track sprint. They don't even have gears so your theory about them being for shifters goes out the window. Because a drop bar offers a differnt direction for leverage. A wide bar allows for a side to side leverage which is hugely inefficient. A drop bar allows for a vertical leverage where you hokd the bars to keep yourself from being pushed up from the bike by pedaling. It doesn't look as cool, but it is the method the pro's use when going gets tight.

But power isn't really a touring issue is it?
Old 04-30-16, 10:20 AM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For you.

Originally Posted by elcruxio
For you.

When I look for comfort I use a drop bar.
When I want a handy functional bar for my drunk bike I use a north road (or the equivalent). I would not dream however that I would use a north road for touring as at longer distances it's wrist killer. You can't keep your wrists straight with one wheres a drop bar allows more than one good position with absolute straight wrists.

And I guarantee you, if a jones bar offered an advantage in climbing someone would be using them at the top level. They do not however add anything because you know, physics. If you put in a certain amount of energy in the pedals you'll get a certain amount of forward movement. Waggling your body with the bar likely allows you to put more of your potential energy into the pedals /flexing the frame but you'll also be less efficient.

If you want to see about the leverage one can achieve with a drop bar, watch a track sprint. They don't even have gears so your theory about them being for shifters goes out the window. Because a drop bar offers a differnt direction for leverage. A wide bar allows for a side to side leverage which is hugely inefficient. A drop bar allows for a vertical leverage where you hokd the bars to keep yourself from being pushed up from the bike by pedaling. It doesn't look as cool, but it is the method the pro's use when going gets tight.

But power isn't really a touring issue is it?
Old 04-30-16, 08:41 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
When I raced track, mid'70s, I had Cinelli steel sprint bars with a very deep drop. Today, I use the Jones Loop for road and mountain.
Old 04-30-16, 11:06 PM
Happy Feet

Here's the pic of the seat post.

And a short video of my trekking/aeros doing a Century today to test it out.

I agree that drop bars do excel at assisting in generating crank power which is why they are seen on race bikes of all kinds but for touring cranking is the last thing I want to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PB141191 (2).jpg (108.9 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-01-16, 09:38 AM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The seat post looks great.

Here's the pic of the seat post.

And a short video of my trekking/aeros doing a Century today to test it out.

I agree that drop bars do excel at assisting in generating crank power which is why they are seen on race bikes of all kinds but for touring cranking is the last thing I want to do.
Old 05-01-16, 10:34 AM
Happy Feet

Saved a hundred bucks or so anyways.

At least now I can finesse the seat position better. Before I had to slam it back and just hope for the best. I'm quite keen to throw my Brooks on this bike again as previously I sat too far back on it and, while this seat is great for commuting to work, it is a little to uncomfortable on a long ride.
Old 05-01-16, 11:03 AM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
: ))

Saved a hundred bucks or so anyways.

At least now I can finesse the seat position better. Before I had to slam it back and just hope for the best. I'm quite keen to throw my Brooks on this bike again as previously I sat too far back on it and, while this seat is great for commuting to work, it is a little to uncomfortable on a long ride.
Old 03-01-19, 07:11 PM
raywood

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I'm blaming you. There's a difference.
Perfect!
Old 03-01-19, 08:22 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
For me it is definitely drops. I do not like ergo or anatomic drops. I have become accustomed to compact bars. I am in the process of rebuilding an older classic steel frame bike and have Nitro classic drop handlebarship for it. I am anxious to try them aso I have not used classic drop in quite awhile. I have chronic back and shoulders issues that very much affect my flexibility. If they are not comfortable for me I am open to trying randonnouer and other flared type bars
Old 03-02-19, 08:36 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
For me it is definitely drops. I do not like ergo or anatomic drops. I have become accustomed to compact bars. I am in the process of rebuilding an older classic steel frame bike and have Nitro classic drop handlebarship for it. I am anxious to try them aso I have not used classic drop in quite awhile. I have chronic back and shoulders issues that very much affect my flexibility. If they are not comfortable for me I am open to trying randonnouer and other flared type bars
I highly recommend the salsa series that flare out in the drops to varying degrees depending on model. I love the cowbell with its slight flare, 12 degrees I think, and normal hoods position.
The shallow distance from tops to drops is very nice, and a high enough stem can make a very useful drops position. Your mileage will vary, but shallow bars, a high enough stem, and the drops flare make a real difference to drop bar versatility and comfort.
Check out the salsa site for comparing models.
Old 03-02-19, 10:58 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I highly recommend the salsa series that flare out in the drops to varying degrees depending on model. I love the cowbell with its slight flare, 12 degrees I think, and normal hoods position.
The shallow distance from tops to drops is very nice, and a high enough stem can make a very useful drops position. Your mileage will vary, but shallow bars, a high enough stem, and the drops flare make a real difference to drop bar versatility and comfort.
Check out the salsa site for comparing models.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at Salsa and I like what I saw. I already have riser type stems on my bikes, including a couple adjustable ones. When I get my older classic back on the road I will figure out what set up works best for me and go with it.
Old 03-02-19, 11:40 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at Salsa and I like what I saw. I already have riser type stems on my bikes, including a couple adjustable ones. When I get my older classic back on the road I will figure out what set up works best for me and go with it.
no prob.
the nice thing with the cowbells is that with a proper bar height to seat diff, I can ride in the drops for waaaay longer than in the past, and Im in my mid 50s now. Ive had trips with strong headwinds and have been in the drops for an appreciative long time, helpful with really bad head and side winds.

also, the prices are reasonable, cowbells are in the $50-60 range

would be best for you to be able to hold in hand the diff models with diff flare and possble hoods angled with the cowchipper ones etc, but not many stores have them.
good luck in any case