Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Introduce yourself!

Old 05-21-19, 12:45 PM
roundrocktom

Bikes: Catrike Dumont

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am checking in.
Tom from Austin, TX (Most people don't have a clue where Round Rock is, but close to Austin).
Life long avid cyclist. The first touring bike was my 1983 Specialized Expedition. My son kept it original and still rides it, so it and my Kirtland Boulder Colorado Panniers say "old school" cyclist.
In my 20's I had some odd medical issues, my doc thought I was too young for Parkinson's back then and told me to keep on cycling. So I did. Long distant rides all over the Sierra Nevada's (little hills to warm up),
later traveled to New Zealand, Ireland, Europe. I ended up getting a job in Germany, so I was there for five years, giving me more time to cycle and raise a family. Along the way Doc's figured out I was old enough
and symptoms gradually worse, and responded to Medication, so Dx of Parkinson's. I had bilateral brain surgery (Deep Brain Stimulation) three years ago. Learned to run last year. The catch was I could ride my bike as a 'fixie' I'd select the best gear, so I never had to take my hands off the handlebars to shift, just ride.
Mountain Bike hand a hand grip shifter, so that helped. Still, when riding, I had put my foot down and slipped. Feel over into the grass as a light, not my finest hour. Worse was a local police officer had seen this and pulled alongside to ask if I had been drinking. Sigh. No Officier, life with Parkinson's.
My wife got me a shirt with "Why I train" swim-bike-run no zombies.
So out doing Sprint Triathalons, only one who is on three wheels!
Likes For roundrocktom:
Old 10-13-19, 10:08 AM
reynoldsarts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My name is Robert. 66 yrs old. Professional artist my entire life. Fifty year avid cyclist. Lost my sight in dominant left eye last November. A rather large life change. After battling severe depression for four months I booked a flight to Vietnam for three months, bought a new Salsa Marrakesh and off I went. Negotiating traffic from the Mekong to Ho Chi Minh city then up to Hanoi’s insanity forced me to relearn (or synthesize) geometry, trajectories inertia and multiple target acquisition. Only three accidents. I got home and immediately booked three months in Europe where I found my favorite area in the Netherlands after 5 previous month tours. Returned home and booked flight to France for two months where I investigated the Bourgogne in detail, the Loire to the Atlantic and up to Bretagne and back down to St. Jeannet where I’m enjoying some sunny R&R.
it worked.
Old 12-12-19, 11:37 AM
PsychoMike

Bikes: Main rides: Knolly Delirium T and Bowman Palace R

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Gang,

No SCI / adaptive needs here, but I have done a season on a handcycle to support a friend who has an SCI. Culminated with a run at the Alberta edition of the Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2016 on a Force 2. Hard work, lots of respect to those who handcycle (you all rock!)...Still thinking about trying it again on a Force R or Carbonbike, if I ever have a chunk of change to be able to get my own cycle

I might not be the most active on this part of the forum, but always game to help out where I can (I learned a lot helping the group I was working with in doing maintenance and keeping the cycles going for spin classes in the winter and outdoor rides in the summer).
Old 12-13-19, 09:50 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I am Kent T, 55 years old. Have Cerebral Palsy (mixed spastic and athetoid, diplegic) and have spina bifida on top of it. Hip issues and different leg length. Was an avid cyclist up to 29 years ago. Advancing spasticity got in the way and some balance woes. Missed being on a bike. Attended an adaptive sports festival and got to try recumbents and handcycles, rode them fine, one of the organizers had a Cannondale in the back of his vehicle my size, suggested I try it, and good as I ever was if not better. I came home from this with the confidence that I own this, talked to my PT crew, they were in favor. And a used Trek Mountain Bike (a 800 Sport Singletrack) was Christmas gift from Mom. Later on a drive across town after PT in the spring, I went to a thrift store, I spied a beautiful Bridgestone Spica road bike (1983 era) for $20. Bought it and hauled it home and cleaned it up, bought tires and consumables. I ride 6-8 miles on the bike path often. And there's a carbon fiber and Kevlar pair of Allard Blue Rocker braces which power my journey. And this time, for life. I am happier and stronger on a bike. The bikes are steel, the braces Carbon Fiber.

Last edited by Kent T; 12-25-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-15-19, 07:51 PM
reynoldsarts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, nice to meet you. I’m blind in left eye also. We should trade stories..
Old 02-12-20, 02:21 PM
CWPBikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Glad to find this.

My name is Clay Preston.
Ive been bike commuting daily for 30 years. Love it.
About 4 years ago I got a total hip replacement. Which has been great.
But of course, we know the. fall from a bike can have awful consequences for that surgery.
Last week I had the first fall I've had in maybe 10 years. landed pretty hard on my natural hip. It was an anomaly, but...I was just lucky which side I fell on.

So I started thinking... Why about wearing hockey pants. for guys who often get knocked down on the ice.

Does anyone have any experience with that kind of padding?
other ideas?

Thanks for the comments.

cp
Old 06-12-20, 07:30 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Hey all.
I celebrate 68 next month. Avid cyclist for 60 years. I cut off half my left index finger with the tablesaw two months ago. Got it re-attached, but the surgeon didn't repair the tendon while he was in there. By the time I got to the tendon surgeon, too much time had passed. So that finger no longer flexes.
I do fine on an upright bike, using only the rear brake. I live in pancake land so too much speed is not an issue. I have yet to try one of the roadbikes(steel, downtube shifters) I am still developing grip strength in the other three fingers, which were also
​​​​​​immobilized for some weeks.

Old 10-02-20, 02:51 PM
v2505

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
not an introduction per se. but trying to get a few posts up so I can post a few pictures of a bike build for my handicapped son.
Old 07-22-21, 12:03 PM
LDuncan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks you
Old 08-25-21, 03:31 PM
Rappy1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

Walking SCI battler here, broke my back bursting L2 whilst doing some jumps on skis, 16 years post injury.
Got into cycling over the past year and loving it. Amazing the freedom it brings
I have no calf muscles or glutes and general leg weakness.

Whilst its unlikely competitive cycling will be on the cards , casual riding and exercising by bike has been good.
I am building up my endurance, and can do 30km ride no problem, on a mix of mild hills and flats. Currently pushing to achieve
50km in the day.

I may look to upgrade to a gravel bike at some stage (from a hybrid). I am looking into ways of making clip in shoes work.
as my calf is non existent, my power is purely coming through my heel, who knows may even have to make something.

Anyway that's a little about me. Nice to be part of the community.
Old 09-09-21, 08:23 PM
salim.martak

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hi i'm martak from indonesia, glad to find this forum after trying for years to forum so helpfull like this
Old 04-11-22, 12:49 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
guess i should say something i post here enough, my name is courtland, been cycling forever, back on the back from a 3 year hiatus after skin cancer, but the real issues is severe epilepsy and myoclonic jerks.
have had enough trips to the hospital that one of the companies considering finding me in a ditch after a seizure was part of the training manual.
Old 06-08-22, 03:05 AM
Myron

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Hello. I'm a cycling and inclusive activities coach for the local council leisure trust. The goal here is to be as inclusive and adaptable as possible to that as many people can participate in as many activities as possible. My speciality is to do with cycling.
Old 07-19-23, 12:27 PM
dutchjim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I'm Jim. At 72 years old after right sided paralysis due to a stroke and in a wheelchair, it's getting depressing seeing life go by inside in my home. I've been researching Catrikes. I need a trike that has a tall seat. There's a trike shop in Utah that has a machine shop and can modify almost any trike or bike. I've settled on a Catrike Max. They are going to replace the stock 22" wheels for 24" wheels. That will bring the height of the seat to 16.25". The bike comes with Catrike assist bars which are adjustable. I'm also getting a Bosch eCat motor and Rohloff 14 speed hub.
I can't post a picture as I am new here.