Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ottawa, KS to Flint Hills in Nebraska

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 11:49 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

A friend and I are wrapping up the second week of a planned eight week trip from the Twin Cities to St Louis to Santa Fe to Yellowstone and home. All is going well, but we are finding we need to shorten the trip. We are presently in Ottawa, KS. We are going to to reroute through the Sand Hills in Nebraska, do the Mickleson Trail in SD, the turn toward the Twin Cities. Reaching out for route advice especially to any Kansas who have ridden from the Ottawa area to northwest Nebraska m
Old 06-22-19, 12:47 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I started in KC and rode to the Mickleson trail. (close enough).

I went north thru Sabetha, KS into Nebraska on hwy 75. West on hwy 4 in Nebraska thru Humbolt then weaved my way on back roads to Lincoln, NE.
From there it's easy riding west. Eventually get on Hwy 2 at Grand Island. You will follow the Union Pacific rail line all the way thru the sand hills... easy camping at town parks all thru Nebraska.

The biggest problem you will have is flooding in Southeast NE. There might be several detours. Don't discount this risk. It might not be easy. Somehow you will have to figure out where to avoid in advance. You might be routed onto major state highways and it will be busy.

Last edited by boomhauer; 06-22-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 01:13 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Well from Ottawa you can take the Flint Hills Nature Trail west to Council Grove (there's a few spots where you have to detour on gravel roads and because of the recent storms you may find some trees down here and there).

From there work your way north I suppose. A lot of the state and county roads don't have much in the way of shoulders but the north-south routes are a little less well-traveled than the east-west routes.

Unless you're cool with riding on gravel and then the options are limitless.
Old 06-22-19, 06:32 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Well from Ottawa you can take the Flint Hills Nature Trail west to Council Grove (there's a few spots where you have to detour on gravel roads and because of the recent storms you may find some trees down here and there).

From there work your way north I suppose. A lot of the state and county roads don't have much in the way of shoulders but the north-south routes are a little less well-traveled than the east-west routes.

Unless you're cool with riding on gravel and then the options are limitless.
Do it like he recommends. Much more scenic going north in the flint hills into Nebraska.
Old 06-23-19, 05:58 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Call/visit 511 Nebraska online. There are ALOT of closures/detours due to the record flooding we've had here washing out roads and bridges. Some of the detours are NOT cycle friendly.