Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Bike rack for 2012 VW Passat

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 02:14 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm finally looking at buying a rack - my son can cycle well enough that we'd like to go further afield, but he isn't old enough to do door-to-door rides. I tried out the fit guide at Hollywood Racks and it looks like my best options are these three:

All three racks are rated to 35 pounds bike each, and have three bike rack variations. Prices are about $75 for the Express, $120 for the Baja and $150 for the Expedition. I expect to transport my bike and my son's initially, and hopefully my wife will join us later. Any recommendations or observations? I don't mind spending the money - but I'd rather not spend $150 if the $75 or $120 will work just as well (I'm not exactly flush either). I expect this rack to be used once or twice a month - we hike almost every weekend as a family and we don't want to reduce that.

I priced a hitch mount at a local shop, and it looks like everything will set me back by about $500-$600, which I cannot afford.

I posted this in General, and received a couple of suggestions - one was about install-it-myself hitch mounts but frankly, that is beyond my tinkering expertise level, and the other was for a Yakima $180 rack. Hoping I'll get more replies here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hollywood_racks.jpg (37.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-01-15, 05:02 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've always had Saris Bones trunk rack. Never had a problem.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-03-15, 07:26 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I'm partial to the Thule Raceway. At the moment, Amazon is selling them for around $330. I bought mine this past February, when the price was only $230.

It's strong, so far hasn't rubbed or scratched my paint and is surprisingly simple to use. Plus, Thule's site shows it a fit for the Passat.

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Raceway-...=thule+raceway
Old 11-04-15, 01:18 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for that recommendation. I'm planning to wait till Black Friday anyway - all this research is ahead of time so I know what I'm looking for by then.
Old 11-06-15, 12:57 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
You may want to check the local Craigslist pages. There are always lots of them for sale. You can find used ones from $25 to $100 or more. Most trunk mounted hitches are universal.
Old 11-10-15, 04:16 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why not go get a hitch at U-Haul for $150. A hitch mount isn't too expensive.
Old 11-13-15, 12:31 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
When I was looking at a trunk rack, I was leaning toward a Saris Bones. A friend of mine was happy with his and reviews are generally very good. Hollywood Racks have a decent bang-for-the-buck reputation and my guess is that the Baja model would suit you just fine. I don't think I'd go with the lower-end Express model. It has more space between arms, so fitting kids' bikes may be more of a hassle. And the quick-release arm adjusters on the Baja and Expedition models seem like they'd be handy.

Personally, after weighing my options, I opted to install a hitch instead of going with a trunk rack and I'm glad I did. It takes me maybe two minutes to attach the rack when I want to haul bikes, it won't scratch the car, and I still have access to the trunk. The class 1 hitch set me back about $120 and my Prorack 4-bike rack was under $100. It looks like hitches for your Passat are a little more expensive though, and installation is more of a hassle -- and thus more expensive. If you wanted to look at hitch racks and don't want to install it yourself, you could get a hitch installed at U-Haul for about $250. Add another hundred bucks or so for a decent entry-level bike rack and you're way above the cost of a trunk rack.
Old 03-01-16, 10:46 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Our shop sells zillions of Hollywood racks and never have any complaints. We also sell Thule and Yakima and have lots of complaints about the price opn these but no complaints about the quality.