Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's reckless riding, commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 12:51 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts

Just curious what you'd consider to be reckless riding on your commute, and if you are guilty of it.
Old 11-12-15, 01:19 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have but one issue with most cyclist/commuters. This comes at 4 way stops. You can probably guess what I am going to say and that's the total lack of stopping. I have seen 3 cars roll up to an intersection near my apt and a cyclist not even slow down just blows right thru the stop sign and does not even looking, I genuinely believe they think cars are suppose to stop for them.

I do not come to a complete stop myself most of the time, I just slow roll if there is no car, a car is signaling me thru, or I can see the whites of their eyes.
Old 11-12-15, 01:21 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When I think of reckless cycling, I think of Lucas Brunelle. I don't ride like that.
Old 11-12-15, 01:23 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
I have but one issue with most cyclist/commuters. This comes at 4 way stops. You can probably guess what I am going to say and that's the total lack of stopping. I have seen 3 cars roll up to an intersection near my apt and a cyclist not even slow down just blows right thru the stop sign and does not even looking, I genuinely believe they think cars are suppose to stop for them.

I do not come to a complete stop myself most of the time, I just slow roll if there is no car, a car is signaling me thru, or I can see the whites of their eyes.
I approach 4 ways without stopping - but it's slow enough where I may as well be stopped...I'll hang a meter or so back from the entrance to the intersection and slow pedal until it is my turn to go through. But what other people do isn't really my business
Old 11-12-15, 01:26 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I approach 4 ways without stopping - but it's slow enough where I may as well be stopped...I'll hang a meter or so back from the entrance to the intersection and slow pedal until it is my turn to go through. But what other people do isn't really my business
These type of things end up becoming my business when I have to wait for the police to arrive to give an eyewitness account of what happened.....

I do similar to what you do but only if there are no cars coming up to the 4 way.
Old 11-12-15, 01:31 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
These type of things end up becoming my business when I have to wait for the police to arrive to give an eyewitness account of what happened.....

I do similar to what you do but only if there are no cars coming up to the 4 way.
There's never other cyclists for me to be witness to. I'm the one and only until I get within a mile or so of the university campus. Most of the students all ride on the sidewalks.

As for cars...they are the only reason I slow. If I don't see any coming that would have the right of way over me,I don't bother stopping. I take the lane when I approach. I'm moving slow enough where I'm not doing for time, I just don't want to unclip for the 5 seconds it might take for the right of way to be mine - or to stop behind a line of cars, come to a stop, wait 10 seconds to move up a car length and repeat.
Old 11-12-15, 01:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
"Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving."

A cop once told me it was three consecutive minor moving violations, or one major.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-12-15, 01:42 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
"Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving."

A cop once told me it was three consecutive minor moving violations, or one major.
South Carolina does not define a bicycle as a vehicle...I'm good to go! I really would be happy with a lot more distinctions between bicycles and cars written into law.

Interestly enough, throughout parts of Virginia, the speed limit is 70 mph. If you are pulled over doing an excess of 80, you can be given a ticket for reckless driving. Usually I think for that you need to be going in excess of 15-20 mph over the posted limit.

The most reckless people I see are all driving cars. They probably don't know they are reckless though, behind all that metal and crumple zones, and airbags.
Old 11-12-15, 01:58 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
When you don't wreck, you are wreckless.
Old 11-12-15, 01:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
South Carolina does not define a bicycle as a vehicle...I'm good to go!
Time to get a trials bike and head for the gridlocked freeway!

In spite of the finer points, willful disregard for safety of persons or property seems like a good enough definitition.

Recklessness legal definition of Recklessness

Rashness; heedlessness; wanton conduct. The state of mind accompanying an act that either pays no regard to its probably or possibly injurious consequences, or which, though foreseeing such consequences, persists in spite of such knowledge.
Recklessness transcends ordinary Negligence. To be reckless, conduct must demonstrate indifference to consequences under circumstances involving peril to the life or safety of others, although no harm is intended.
West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
The stuff at the Negligence link is actually a lot more interesting and nuanced. Recklessness seems more like an additional law to create additional punishment when you throw the book at the perp.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-12-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-12-15, 02:03 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Erratic cycling. Darting about without due notice. Hand gestures not cool anymore?
Biking at night without lights.... dressed in dark clothing.

Sidewalk cycling when there are clearly marked cycling lanes. Not reckless but idiotic.
Old 11-12-15, 02:10 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
South Carolina does not define a bicycle as a vehicle...I'm good to go!
Similar to California. However both states have the equal rights and duties phrase that still requires you to stop at stop signs and red lights. In South Carolina the applicable section is:
"SECTION 56‑5‑3420. Rights and duties of bicyclists generally.
A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway must be granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special provisions in this article and except as to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application."
Old 11-12-15, 02:20 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
2 wheel drifts are sub optimal for a biking experience. Loose sand over hard packed gravel, way too fast on the cornering speed. Stayed upright. Too fast cornering on some wet ground up leaves. Stopped with left foot down and piles of brown sludge in front of it, as well as on the front sides of the tires. Makes for for fast beating heart.
Old 11-12-15, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Just curious what you'd consider to be reckless riding on your commute, and if you are guilty of it.
Blatantly, flippantly, irreverently not following laws, rules, etiquette or norms just because. Alley cat racing through downtown, blowing lights "because it's clear", riding far too slowly on busy roads, riding against traffic, squeezing through busy sidewalks, riding too fast on the MUP then posting on bf about how much you hate the MUP because of the damn pedestrians, etc.

I am guilty of committing reckless acts but most of the time I keep myself in check so as 1) not to be an ass and 2) arrive home in one piece for my wife and son. Occasionally my attitude gets the best of my good judgment.
Old 11-12-15, 02:27 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I consider reckless riding to be disregarding rules of the road, such as:
- Running red lights and stop signs without slowing down or stopping, particularly if other vehicles are present.
- Riding in the dark or low-light conditions without high viz gear, headlights and taillights.
- Not having functional brakes on your bike, or not properly maintain other equipment such as tires.
- Riding against the stream of traffic, otherwise known as "salmoning"
- Riding on sidewalks except in cases where lanes are blocked, road construction or otherwise unsafe conditions.
- Wearing earbuds, headphones or other devices that prevent you from hearing.
- Riding too fast for conditions on greenways and MUTs shared by walkers, runners, etc.
- Passing other cyclists, walkers or runners too closely and without signaling with a bell or saying something.
- Riding the wrong way on one-way streets or in the wrong lane on 2-way streets
Old 11-12-15, 02:40 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Similar to California. However both states have the equal rights and duties phrase that still requires you to stop at stop signs and red lights. In South Carolina the applicable section is:
"SECTION 56‑5‑3420. Rights and duties of bicyclists generally.
A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway must be granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special provisions in this article and except as to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application."
Now come on...how am I supposed to give smart assed remarks when someone brings reason around. We are exempt from DUI laws here, though, not being a vehicle. Same thing with 50cc scooters.

Anyway, everyone has a different situation. Just ride how you like, it isn't reckless cycling, it is reckless driving that should be stamped out. At least cyclists should know their own mortality and limits.
Old 11-12-15, 02:45 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Riding in a way that causes attentive drivers to react reflexively in a defense manner.
Old 11-12-15, 03:28 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
...just blows right thru the stop sign and does not even looking...

Just because you didn't see them look, doesn't mean they didn't look. It doesn't mean they did look, either, but a lot more cyclists would be dead if they really didn't look.
Old 11-12-15, 03:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For me, riding too slowly on certain uphill stretches of streets where I know it's safer and more logical to take the sidewalk or unpaved section above the curb. Insisting on riding the street in some tricky sections is just dumb and dangerous for everyone - mostly for me - especially during peak traffic hours.

This only applies to certain tricky areas I encounter frequently. Usually the detour above the curb lasts only 50-100 yards. And there are rarely any pedestrians (almost nobody walks in Texas). If there are, I just slow down, announce myself, give 'em wide berth and pass safely.
Old 11-12-15, 03:50 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'm kind of a nanny when it comes to stop signs, signalling and traffic lights.

I guess the most reckless thing I do is bombing a hill along my commute. I'm disappointed if I don't crack 40mph.
Old 11-12-15, 04:30 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Riding like a bike courier.
Old 11-12-15, 04:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I consider reckless riding to be disregarding rules of the road, such as:...
That’s a well-chosen, seemingly comprehensive set of “reckless” behaviors, @tarwheel, that repeatedly appear for discussions on the Forums. Without acceding to all your items (or confessing to any possible transgressions) as reckless, might I add filtering to the list, for completeness sake. Would you consider that as reckless too?

Just curious.
Old 11-12-15, 04:55 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I had a lady head wrong way, straight at my garbage truck while chugging back a bottle of champagne. When I honked, she threw the bottle at the truck and hung a U. She headed into a large intersection, dumped the bike in the middle, and went for a sit down at the curb. Pretty reckless and after seeing it done by another person, I vowed never to do it again...
Old 11-12-15, 05:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Cyclists who do things which endanger pedestrians and other cyclists.
Old 11-12-15, 05:07 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Rolling by a four-way stop sign--guilty, but only on the early morning ride when there's absolutely no one around. Yes, I know, still no excuse, but at least no one around to gripe about it.

Riding fast on sidewalk with pedestrians present.

Dark clothing/no lights at night.

No helmet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.