Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Show us your Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Show us your Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 07:31 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What size frame and wheels are they?

To guess I would say 26inch wheels on a size 60?
Size 56 cm frame with 26" wheels. I at 5'10" was caught in between, I wanted to use drop bars, but the top tube is longer than most and it would have taken me to a 54 cm frame but a 54 isn't offered in a 700c wheel and so that meant a 56 with a really short stem or...... I take the build this way. Solid and stable when loaded down for sure.
Old 04-10-16, 08:13 AM
Gadgets4grls

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT customized, Fuji Tread, GT Zaskar 9R Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you taken your cat to the vet in that cat carrier, whilst using your bike?

I would imagine that the cat would think you are torturing it, putting it in there and then going on a bumpy ride?
I actually just finished making the base for the new cat carrier on Friday to go with the Bob.

We took them out for a longer ride on Saturday and they did just fine, with traffic and everything. I can see them in one of my mirrors and they were mostly just look around curious. We have been kennel training them for awhile now. This carrier is where they sleep at night so that helps a lot because this is already a safe place in their minds.

Attached is a picture of them both. Nug is the grey one but you'll have to look closely for Nyx because all you can see is her eyes. We stopped along the way and gave them water and they were doing fine. It's really easy to tell if Nug is scared or stress because he'll hide under the blanket in the carrier and he was sitting at the door looking out.

The final clue they were doing fine was when we got home they where lying down and sleeping.

Gadgets

Last edited by Gadgets4grls; 04-10-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 08:18 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadgets4grls
I actually just finished making the base for the new cat carrier on Friday to go with the Bob.

We took them out for a longer ride on Saturday and they did just fine, with traffic and everything. I can see them in one of my mirrors and they were mostly just look around curious. We have been kennel training them for awhile now. This carrier is where they sleep at night so that helps a lot because this is already a safe place in their minds.

Attached is a picture of them both. Nug is the grey one but you'll have to look closely for Nyx because all you can see is her eyes. We stopped along the way and gave them water and they were doing fine. It's really easy to tell if Nug is scared or stress because he'll hide under the blank in the carrier and he was sitting at the door looking out.

The final clue they were doing fine was when we got home they where lying down and sleeping.

Gadgets
Wow, I am amazed that it works so well, don't they get rattled around a bit in there?

I would like to try that when I get a cat in a few months time, but I would be worried about how they would cope if the ride got a bit bumpy.
Old 04-10-16, 08:19 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by robow
Size 56 cm frame with 26" wheels. I at 5'10" was caught in between, I wanted to use drop bars, but the top tube is longer than most and it would have taken me to a 54 cm frame but a 54 isn't offered in a 700c wheel and so that meant a 56 with a really short stem or...... I take the build this way. Solid and stable when loaded down for sure.
Thanks for the info.

I'm surprised by how much headtube there is for only a 56 cm model.
Old 04-10-16, 08:21 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Gilles Berthoud is on a different level, but also a lot more expensive
I like the look of most of a Gilles Berthoud saddle, but that plastic that holds the frame just doesn't look very nice.
Old 04-10-16, 08:22 AM
Gadgets4grls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Hey!! Thanks, really! I'll work on modifying my backpacking list to cycling. Should we say for warm weather not cold weather?
Actually this year you'd need to pack for all season because yesterday was 80's and today we're supposed to have snow.

Gadgets

Last edited by Gadgets4grls; 04-10-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 08:44 AM
Gadgets4grls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I am amazed that it works so well, don't they get rattled around a bit in there?

I would like to try that when I get a cat in a few months time, but I would be worried about how they would cope if the ride got a bit bumpy.
If you're considering it I would kennel train your cat so that they associate the kennel as a safe place to be rather than this is new and scary or this is just going to the vet carrier.

As for the shaking not really any more rattled than they would in a normal dog trailer actually.
The other thing is I'm a pretty relaxed rider so that helps a lot. Even on the downhills I pretty much keep my sped under 30 mph.

If you're still worried a couple of options that come immediately to mind. Bob also makes a trailer with a shock built in, the "Ibex". The other thing you could do is put 3-4" of memory form under them to help absorb the bumps. The final off the top of my head would be a hammock suspended by bungee cords from the top of the carrier. Or a combination of all three. Just depends on what you plan on doing and how aggressively you ride.

Gadgets

Last edited by Gadgets4grls; 04-11-16 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 09:30 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Hmmmm .... I'm having a reconsider about the Brooks B17 after reading this article:

Gilles Berthoud Touring Saddle Review ? 14 months | Ocean Air Cycles

I might opt for the Giles Berthoud
Old 04-10-16, 07:52 PM
robow

Gadgetgrl,
get a pair of these and all three of you can wear Cat Ears. (btw, they really do work)

Cat-Ears, LLC - Reduce Cycling Wind Noise

Old 04-11-16, 09:18 AM
Gadgets4grls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gadgetgrl,
get a pair of these and all three of you can wear Cat Ears. (btw, they really do work)

Cat-Ears, LLC - Reduce Cycling Wind Noise

Doesn't that mean I'd have to have two sets. One set for me and another set for Kiwi, the bird?

Gadgets
Old 04-11-16, 09:49 AM
Gadgets4grls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any chance you'ld share your gear list?? That looks like a whole lot of stuff.
Hi Squeezebox,

Here is a run down on my gear list. Enjoy.

I was asked for a gear list so a couple of things clear up front. I know I can go with less, I’ve done so before and I’m choosing not to.

I’m not going to go through and list every little item as there are countless such lists on the internet. I’m going to highlight the “large” or unusual item. My list is going to include items that others wouldn't consider carrying with them and why I choosing to do so.

Our touring family is going to consist of two adults, two cats, and one bird. So let’s just say two adults and three children. At least I don’t have to pay for a college education for them. As a sanity saver we opted for a larger tent. I found a deal on a Mountain Hardware expedition grade Tangent 4. While it’s bigger than we need for any two week/month tour for an extended period of time it will save my sanity. This is especially true since retreating into a stick built cave, more commonly known as a motel, will be much harder for us and our “children”. I honestly don’t know why though. Compared to some of the two legged ones I see at Walmart, ours are PHD carrying saints. As a result of this the tent is going to end up taking up pretty much one full pannier by itself. So this covers the portable cave and why I’m willing to carry 13# of it.

Progressing onto the next important item, the BED! Our beds are actually a system so it will take a little bit to cover it all.
Helinox cot lite
Inertia O Zone sleeping pad
Sol Respirant Escape Bivy (OD green a little less screaming "I’m here!" for those stealth nights. Can't do much about the tent though only one color option and couldn't pass it up for the quality and price)
Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme bag liner
North Face Snow Shoe (for long term) / or Peak One down bags for summer only

So this system will pretty much covers us from summer thru winter. In the dead hot of summer we’ll just use the liner or liner/bivy. These two will be fine in the 70+ temperatures as it drops we just start combining items for more insulation especially important when you both sleep cold. I already know the hot water bottle, feed the furnace, etc.

Now this is why I believe a cot is superior to any pad and why I chose it. In the summer a cot is nice because it allows air flow under you so you won’t feel quite so hot. I know that many will consider that a problem in the winter but there is a simple solution. In the winter put the cot inside an air tight bag. In our case I also have the Sol cheapie emergency bivy. The bivy weights 3 oz. and when you put your cot inside of it you now have 5 inches of insulation between you and the ground. The reason Thermarests insulate better than a cot is because they stop air flow and allow you to warm the air trapped inside. As soon as you stop that airflow a cot actually becomes a better insulator than pad. Simply because a cot has more gap. If you need more insulation stuff unused panniers or clothes inside the bag under the cot. You could even use leafs or pine needles. Since you’re not going to crush them you now have the equivalent of a 5” pad under you.
The reason I included the Inertia 0 pad is to better utilize the insulation on the bottom of the sleeping bag. While the cut outs in this pad are a problem on the ground they become a benefit when placed on the cot and it only weighs about 1#.
Finally our biggest reasons for the cots, we’re both side sleepers and unless you tow along the Thermarest “Mondoking”, all 5.5# of it, pads suck for side sleepers. The other reason is I’ve had pads go flat on me one too many times and always in the middle of the night. Let’s talk about a bad start to any day, middle of the night and your “oh so comfy” pad is suddenly a flat sheet on the ground and only now you find every last pebble you didn’t find before setting up your tent. So if and when my Inertia 0 goes flat I'm still on the cot and not cursing that rock grinding a hole in my hip.
Cot $250, Inertia pad $50, bivy $10. good night sleep, PRICELESS!
I now have a bed that will compete with the Mondoking and I don’t have to worry about pin holes or those pebbles on the ground. Well worth the money/weight in my mind.

Kitchen nothing really special
MSR DragonFly with noise tamer cap.
MSR Reactor pot with carbon felt cover, think backpacker dutch oven or boil and set aside to finish cooking
MSR Flex Pan
Two Sea to Summit bowls with lids, also good for carrying fresh eggs, just wrap the eggs is newspaper and nestle inside.
Spork, spatula, etc.

Clothes are what they are. Think mostly bicycling but at least one “civilized” outfit for those times. I’m sure you can imagine them.

My bicycle “tool” kit is more extensive than most. A couple of reasons, first and foremost routinely if I have it I won’t need it. That doesn’t mean that someone I meet won’t benefit from me having it. I much prefer being the one having the tool to lend than hoping to find that person like me.

Cameras and electronics will be a little more than some. I’ll have the GoPros on the bike and my main camera is a Sony A7RII with a 24-240 DSLR. So that’s more than a lot of people will carry camera wise. Computer is a Macbook 12” running dual boot Windows 10. That along with the various batteries, chargers, cables and memory cards.

So I’m pretty sure that some people are wonder why so much capacity on my bike, ie 6 panniers. The two kitty litter pannier (KLP) are multi-purposed. Normally I’m not going to have everything crammed full and the KLP are going to routinely be empty or only very lightly loaded.

The reason for the KLP is when we plan on visiting the voids we will have room to take extra food and water. I figure worst case, ie no water, we will have enough room for 5+ days’ worth of water and food. That’s figuring 2.5 gallons of water per day or the scary number of 100# of water although this will be split between two people that is still 50# of water each. AUGH!!! But that’s why I have a 9” low gear.

One of the KLP will double as a night time cage for Kiwi, the bird. I’ll have a mesh cover and a perch that I can put up inside of it.
Those that have reached this wonderful age of not being able to get through the night without at least two nighttime pee interrupts will understand. Squatting in the trees at 11 p.m. and again at 2:00 a.m. when my brain is just barely functional is not fun. Sometime aiming with a “Freshette” is beyond me, when I only have one functional brain cell. So the solution the second KLP will double as the port-a-poddy when properly double lined with trash bags. Now all I have to worry about is falling off of it.

So that is pretty much the unusual that I didn’t list before. The reason for all of the capacity isn’t because it’s always going to be crammed completely full it’s for those times when we need that extra. I chose to go with the KLP instead of another set of panniers because I can use them for things that “panniers” won’t work for. I figure line one of the KLP with “reflectix” foil and I have an ice chest. For those ice cold refreshments. Put KLP on my bikes rear rack and Kiwi now has a bigger cage to ride in for those days his normal carrier is just too cramped. The extra weight isn’t really all that much when they’re filled with nothing but air.

Gadgets
Old 04-11-16, 08:30 PM
cdjunker83

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OhioPyle, PA last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8572.jpg (100.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_8249.jpg (100.1 KB, 496 views)
Old 04-11-16, 08:59 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Nice looking rig, cdjunker83!
Old 04-11-16, 11:04 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well that's real interesting. My cat would not not put up with it, neither my 21 yr old son. I'm glad you've got it straightened out. Enjoy!!
Old 04-12-16, 07:40 AM
Gadgets4grls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that's real interesting. My cat would not not put up with it, neither my 21 yr old son. I'm glad you've got it straightened out. Enjoy!!
Thanks

I have a great relationship with our cats. I'm pretty sure the deciding moment was when they needed a bath and they said no. Needless to say they got their baths and didn't speak to me for a week afterwards but we had great lines of communication established from that day on.

All joking aside you have to know your pets and take the time to make it work. The kenneling thing we've been working going on three years. We also started traveling, travel trailer not bicycle, for our vacations / weekends over the last couple of years. So that helped reinforce that the kennel is their safe place. The progression has been gradual so it wouldn't be quite so traumatic as just throwing them in a kennel riding a bike for 8 hours and then throwing them in a tent.

As for you son, sorry have no advice on that one. I'm pretty sure kennel training isn't an option but it would be funny to see. "Son here's your new bed"

As they say if there's a will, and disposition toward masochistism, there's always a way.

Gadgets

Last edited by Gadgets4grls; 04-12-16 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 07:53 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kennel training for my 21 yr old son?? I wish!! Can I include my ex-wife??
Old 04-12-16, 09:36 AM
Gadgets4grls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kennel training for my 21 yr old son?? I wish!! Can I include my ex-wife??
That's between you and your ex-wife, I don't handle those kind of negotiations too DANGEROUS.

I'm lucky and got the keeper this time.

There's only one thing worse than a husband's ex-wife and that's a lesbian's ex-girlfriend/wife.
Since we're both playing out of the same rule book it can get nasty, FAST!

The best part is our circles expects to be friends afterwards.
Talk about pressure.

Gadgets
Old 04-12-16, 09:45 AM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gadgetgrl,
Oooh, an accessory I never heard of (gets excited), but wait (remembers) this would probably only be useful for me going down a steep hill.
Old 04-12-16, 09:52 AM
robow

Originally Posted by Aidoneus
Oooh, an accessory I never heard of (gets excited), but wait (remembers) this would probably only be useful for me going down a steep hill.
I have not personally used them but a friend whom I frequently ride with, swears by them and he claims and has demonstrated that he can hear cars approaching us from the rear much further back than I. Next time out riding, simply take your hand or some material and hold it right in front of the ear and it is amazing how much wind noise it cuts down. I'm thinking of making a pair or allowing my sideburns and beard to get much bushier.
Old 04-12-16, 09:57 AM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have not personally used them but a friend whom I frequently ride with, swears by them and he claims and has demonstrated that he can hear cars approaching us from the rear much further back than I. Next time out riding, simply take your hand or some material and hold it right in front of the ear and it is amazing how much wind noise it cuts down. I'm thinking of making a pair or allowing my sideburns and beard to get much bushier.
Well, I already have the beard, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed much wind noise...besides creeping along, that is.
Old 04-12-16, 12:31 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
a quick question about Crane Bells...

according to many, The Crane Suzu bell in brass is the best. It is 54mm in diameter, but I cannot fin on with a stem mount. There is a smaller suzu with stem mount and I have found a smaller crane bell called the Sakura which measures 45mm in diameter and has the stem mount.
Brick Lane Bikes: The Official Website. Crane Sakura Stem Bell

but I'm really keen for the larger Sakura. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that can be bought to have it stem mounted like this:

Old 04-12-16, 08:13 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadgets4grls

Attached is a picture of them both. Nug is the grey one but you'll have to look closely for Nyx because all you can see is her eyes. We stopped along the way and gave them water and they were doing fine. It's really easy to tell if Nug is scared or stress because he'll hide under the blanket in the carrier and he was sitting at the door looking out.

Gadgets
Pretty kewl! Once had a cat that followed me five blocks on a walk to the quick-mart. From this thread I got the idea to make friends with a crow & train it to go on bike rides. then when one stops at a store or restaurant the crow sits on the bike to scare off bike thieves! It's not a totally crazy idea as crows are rather sociable & smart.
Old 04-12-16, 08:39 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
Hmmmm .... I'm having a reconsider about the Brooks B17 after reading this article:

Gilles Berthoud Touring Saddle Review ? 14 months | Ocean Air Cycles

I might opt for the Giles Berthoud
Interesting review, I like the shape esp how it lacks the flaring extended skirt of Brooks B17. Berthoud touring saddle seems to resemble Brooks B15 Swallow but at a somewhat lower price. Plus Wallbike sells Berthoud so one gets their nice guarantee. If you get the Berthoud please post results!
Old 04-12-16, 09:14 PM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Interesting review, I like the shape esp how it lacks the flaring extended skirt of Brooks B17. Berthoud touring saddle seems to resemble Brooks B15 Swallow but at a somewhat lower price. Plus Wallbike sells Berthoud so one gets their nice guarantee. If you get the Berthoud please post results!
I've been riding the Berthoud since January, after replacing my stock WTB saddle. It felt good from day one, and still looks great after about 700 miles, though it has been sitting idle for the last month as my cracked ribs heal.

Of course, I have Jones Loop handlebars, so I ride more upright.
Old 04-13-16, 05:36 AM
Gadgets4grls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Pretty kewl! Once had a cat that followed me five blocks on a walk to the quick-mart. From this thread I got the idea to make friends with a crow & train it to go on bike rides. then when one stops at a store or restaurant the crow sits on the bike to scare off bike thieves! It's not a totally crazy idea as crows are rather sociable & smart.
Actually that is a pretty good idea.
Besides the fact that lots of people are afraid of crows. They're a VERY smart bird with long memories and they also hold grudges as a matter of fact. Here is a cool article about that https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26crow.html

Baring the "Protected by CROW!" I was considering adding something like this as a serious theft deterrent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bN76TvJspY

Gadgets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.