Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Packing Camp Stoves

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Packing Camp Stoves

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 04:02 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
lightest stove is

A tinder box could add a couple of grams, not many, just a couple.

As far as stoves
My
-Snow Peak Giga Power with wind screen https://www.meyergallery.com/thumbs/...esw-w806-0.jpg works well, and the wind screen does something. The pizo igniter works sometimes+
-Snow Peak Litemax Titanium stove works fine, and weighs very little, no wind screen.
-msr XGK EX works in the snow and frozen wonderland. It does not simmer. If you need to melt snow for yourself and some friends, get the XGK.
-MSR Dragonfly makes the best food. It has the best simmer control. You get fuel on your hands when you set up an MSR stove.

I use alcohol stoves, mostly in hotel rooms. I do not use methyl alcohol, heat, paint thinner, etc. I do use ethyl Alcohol, medical alcohol.
They are not commonly used for long term outdoor use, they are carried for emergency use, perhaps all the wood is wet after or the hiker is too tired to build a fire.

Cooking on a fire is the best. The food tastes better, fire wood is free. Cook on the red coals, not on the yellow flame.

Last edited by chrisx; 12-31-17 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 04:41 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Life is too short to eat bad.
That sure does look good!

I dont eat poorly. Not at all. I carry "My Mix", which is typically a combination of oats, nuts, dried cranberries, dark chocolate bits, and a little of whatever I feel like at the time. This is my sustaining mix. It gets me going in the AM and makes for a nice chew after I settle down in the evenings. I nosh on it throughout the day. I supplement this mix with Nuun, and Starbucks instant. I also carry some jerky or biltong. I eat hot foods at stops along the way - I just don't pack a stove. I got sick of cleaning it all up just to break it down and do it all over again the next meal.
Old 12-20-17, 05:29 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yeah, when the cannister is in the normal position with valve on top, all of the fuel that enters your stove was evaporated while in the canister, thus once the canister is down to about a third or half full, the canister cools rapidly while you are using the stove and that drops the pressure. But when you use the canister with valve down like your stove allows, there is very little evaporation of the fuel within the canister and the canister does not suffer any where near as much evaporative cooling.

In post 25 above, I commented that you can put your fuel canister in a warm water bath in a shallow pan, in some situations that could be a hassle or if you do not have a spare flat pan it may be impractical. But your stove design gets around that.

Maybe I finished off your canister for you when I was there?
Yeah, that's the problem with butane and especially for upright stoves. There are ways around it but most of them are a pain. That's what I like about the Optifuel stove. The design is well thought out.

Hopefully someone finished off our canister, be nice if it was you.

J.
Old 12-20-17, 05:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
We do our 10-day backpack in September every year in Washington State. So we see the successful thru-hikers. As I said, I've never seen one use an alcohol stove. Maybe they start with one, but by the time I see them they've switched to canister. One is either hiking or sleeping. They don't have time for fussy or slow. Jetboil is the most common thing, but of course one can't call that "cooking." But they don't care. They just want fast and light. Instant rice and black bean flakes. Think Anish. Those folks are up and gone before we even wake up.
Old 12-21-17, 12:13 AM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I do not use plastic cook wear.
Plastic lids on a pan, plastic bowls to eat hot food out of, plastic spoons and forks to eat hot food. Do not eat or store hot food in plastic. Heat causes plastic to leach into the food, the plasic gets into your blood stream, and lodges in your brain.
Old 12-21-17, 05:38 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I own and use a wide variety of stoves. My perennial favorite here on the East Coast USA is my Kelly Kettle, second favorite would be my MSR WhisperLite or a similar liquid fuel stove. Both are very easy to find fuel for. I also use my Trangia a fair bit. I don't like the disposable aspect of the butane type cartridges, I have also been left short when a cartridge leaked and I ran out of fuel in the middle of cooking dinner and did not have a second one available. I would say it boils down to what works best for you, different horses for different courses.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-21-17, 08:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Gardner
The primary advantage is ease of finding fuel and no mess.

I have a stove that will run any fuel source, MSR International, I believe. I have run it off white gas (clean) and gasoline (filthy). I would take this one with me if I was touring in Central / South America or Africa.
I'm not so sure I would call the white gas all that "clean". The few times I used a Whisperlite, it was black and filthy due to the priming procedure. It was a large part of why I went back to canisters.

Originally Posted by Aushiker
You mention bikepacking; if you mean bikepacking which is sort of the ultralight version of touring rather than the more "traditional" touring you may find that the likes of the Whisperlite simply too big for a bikepacking setup. To compare my new gas stove setup will be a Soto Amicus.
I use a Soto as well. Partly that's because they perform better at altitude than other canister stoves. Piezoelectric ignitors have troubles above 8000 feet or so. The Soto ignites better above tree line here (11,5000 feet).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-21-17, 06:54 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I use a Soto as well. Partly that's because they perform better at altitude than other canister stoves. Piezoelectric ignitors have troubles above 8000 feet or so. The Soto ignites better above tree line here (11,5000 feet).
No heights like that here but good to know the lighter works well anyway.
Old 12-21-17, 11:05 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
I do not use plastic cook wear.
Plastic lids on a pan, plastic bowls to eat hot food out of, plastic spoons and forks to eat hot food. Do not eat or store hot food in plastic. Heat causes plastic to leach into the food, the plasic gets into your blood stream, and lodges in your brain.
lodges in your brain, does it? That might explain some of the posts around here..

These kinds of topics (stoves, not plastic eating utensils) always fascinate me. You get a huge range of responses and everybody thinks their choice is the best. Still, you get an overview of what works (almost anything, depending upon circumstances).

Personally, I'd stay away from twig stoves in cold damp places, and I haven't had much luck with alcohol stoves, despite having the cutest, lightest little titanium alcohol stove. Canisters are the most convenient and gas stoves like the International are the most versatile. Just about anything will work, if you have the patience to master it. Even going without a stove at all, as some have pointed out.

Last edited by skookum; 12-21-17 at 11:07 PM. Reason: censor
Old 12-22-17, 01:05 AM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
That might explain some of the posts around here..
More so than you know.

They did a 10 year study at Oregon Health and Science University.
Keep the plastic away from hot food.
Old 12-22-17, 07:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
, the plasic gets into your blood stream, and lodges in your brain.
No it doesn't. Your brain isn't a blood filter.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-22-17, 11:20 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Another vote for the pocket rocket & canister. This is all backpacking related but I also tried a whisperlite. Dinking around with filling the tank, can't fly with the tank, having to hook tank to burner then pump it with pressure, then do a "pre-light" to heat which can get darned exciting if you start with too much fuel in the burner....
vs.
Screw on the canister and light it.
I spent 4 days in the Idaho back country with the pocket rocket and never used up one canister, doing breakfast and dinner each day.
Other than using it on a few day hikes, I never carried the Whisperlite on a backpack trip and ended up selling it to an individual.
You can't fly with the Iso/Butane canisters but they are readily available with several brands out there. Not sure as to availability overseas.
Old 12-22-17, 11:28 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Another option. I carry one of these in titanium on day hikes & hunts. On backpacking trips I carry as a backup and in a daypack when hiking as an emergency. They work great and can boil water with twigs. Probably wouldn't be first choice for primary stove, just depends on needs.
https://emberlit.com/collections/stoves
Old 12-22-17, 12:05 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use either my homemade alcohol stove or an Optimus Crux canister burner. Both work great. I prefer the alcohol stove for touring but if I’m going to be camping in high fire danger situations where open fuel stoves are banned I take the Crux. After 30 years of sitting in my shed unused I got rid of my dual fuel Coleman backpacking stove. It was too messy and fidgety to bother with.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 12-23-17, 10:52 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
I'm very impressed with the Kovea Spider which I think will be my next purchase.
I have a spider, and find it a great compromise between the light weight and ease of use of an upright canister stove and the all weather functionality of something like the XGK.

For fair weather trips I still take my Snowpeak Litemax. Under normal conditions, there's no need for the (admittedly small) weight penalty, but when the weather is cold (consistently sub freezing) or windy, the Spider shines. It can run with the canister inverted in liquid fuel mode down to something like -25 F. Also, a small windscreen makes it pretty secure in the wind, and the total package is all of six ounces.
Old 12-24-17, 06:38 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Don't forget the Fire Ribbon.
Old 12-24-17, 06:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
If you fly to and from most of your tours like I do, being able to check your stove as baggage and also to pick up fuel easily upon arrival are important. Naptha and kerosene stoves fail on both counts there and gasoline on the first count.

I have had good luck with butane stoves getting trough the TSA check fine. Same for alcohol stoves, but home made pop can stoves are easy enough to make and essentially free so taking a brand new one each trip would be easy enough if you were worried about TSA snagging them. I just take a used one and figure if it ever gets taken I'll make a new one while on the tour.
Old 12-25-17, 07:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We've flown to and from bike and backpack touring and had no problem with our Optifuel stove. We dry and wash the stove and pump so that it has no smell, then wash and fill the fuel bottle with water and label it so. Works for us.
Old 12-25-17, 07:45 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
We've flown to and from bike and backpack touring and had no problem with our Optifuel stove. We dry and wash the stove and pump so that it has no smell, then wash and fill the fuel bottle with water and label it so. Works for us.
That would work. But I don't think you even need to bother with putting water in it. Great stove.

J.
Old 12-31-17, 02:28 PM
no rules

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MSR Pocket Rocket 2. Tried and true. Continue to save weight and invest in a titanium cookset.
Old 12-31-17, 10:50 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm still gutted about having my Optimus 111T confiscated by Qantus on a national flight.
It was clean and the tank filled with water.

It was particularly galling due to it having done extensive international travel without so much as raising an eyebrow previously.

Still points to Qantus staff erring on the side of safety for its passengers I guess.

Whilst I wouldn't want to haul such a heavy stove around with me on the bike these days, I still miss it being part of my collection.
Old 01-01-18, 08:14 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
I'm still gutted about having my Optimus 111T confiscated by Qantus on a national flight.
It was clean and the tank filled with water.

It was particularly galling due to it having done extensive international travel without so much as raising an eyebrow previously.

Still points to Qantus staff erring on the side of safety for its passengers I guess.

Whilst I wouldn't want to haul such a heavy stove around with me on the bike these days, I still miss it being part of my collection.
Major bummer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP2269.JPG (344.3 KB, 475 views)
20IMGP2311.JPG (318.6 KB, 477 views)
20IMGP2323.JPG (359.3 KB, 482 views)
Old 01-01-18, 09:31 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I've used many different fuel stoves over the years for both bike travel and backpacking. I really prefer the Trangia alcohol stove. They are slower, but simple and the fuel is cheap and easy to find.

Marc
Old 01-07-18, 11:44 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One strike against the Whisperlite is you can't buy naptha most places in north america and western europe especially in non- camping seasons and good luck convincing a gas station to let you fill your gas bottle in most of these same places. I sold my Whisperlite after I got back from the UK. They were the best in the 90s but now? No way.
Old 01-08-18, 04:50 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Last spring I picked up a Snow Peak ti stove and ti mug. The combined weight is 6oz. Before that I used a jetboil. Admittedly my tours are 3-4 days long and in populated areas. At most I'm boiling water for the first cup of coffee in the morning and the occasional freeze dried meal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.