Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sandals & socks in the cold weather

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 01:53 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts

I ride in Shimano SPD sandals until we get into the 40s. I am considering trying to wear some sort of outer-shell windproof sock and woolies underneath in the lower 40s and upper 30s. Is anyone doing this with success?

Am looking for a shell-type of sock that's better than a Target bag. I have seen vapor-barrier socks, which are designed as inners, not outers, but might work.
Old 10-24-18, 04:12 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I ride in Shimano SPD sandals until we get into the 40s. I am considering trying to wear some sort of outer-shell windproof sock and woolies underneath in the lower 40s and upper 30s. Is anyone doing this with success?

Am looking for a shell-type of sock that's better than a Target bag. I have seen vapor-barrier socks, which are designed as inners, not outers, but might work.
Why not find something here?

https://www.leisurepro.com/l/Wetsuit...el=Gender_Mens
Old 10-24-18, 05:01 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Or overshoes? You can get pretty warm ones, if you search. Chainreactioncycles has some, ebay has more.
Old 10-24-18, 06:52 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use some Performance booties over my Shimano sandals when it gets near freezing or below. Get them at least a size larger than usual to account for the sandal toe area extending out farther than most shoes.
Old 10-25-18, 05:00 AM
flyen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you can find it here.

https://www.skysper.com/collections/socks
Old 10-25-18, 08:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
boot liner oversocks , may be what you seek .. made in gore tex type fabrics..
Old 10-25-18, 09:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
if you don't like the weather, wait a minute ... the 40s will be here soon. maybe just save yourself some hassle & switch over to your winter stuff now
Old 10-25-18, 09:17 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Other popular topics on Dad Forums:
Best WWII documentaries to fall asleep to
Yelling at the news: A primer
Top ten New Balance shoes to mow your lawn in
Old 10-25-18, 01:35 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Goretex socks (though I don't use these personally as I switched back to flats and flat shoes):
https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/go...ks-100243.html

FITS medium hiker wool blend (these are the socks I use for winter riding and they work great):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NB8K13N/
Old 10-25-18, 04:18 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
I've done that for years. Use Showers Pass overboots, them come quite large in order to fit around the sandals and not be tight. Two pair of socks on a cold day, add a chemical warmer between over the toes when below 25F and you are good quite a bit lower, although I convert to boots with gaiter down below 15F
Old 10-25-18, 09:30 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by ksryder
Other popular topics on Dad Forums:
Best WWII documentaries to fall asleep to
Yelling at the news: A primer
Top ten New Balance shoes to mow your lawn in
Wanker?
Old 10-25-18, 09:49 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
I've done that for years. Use Showers Pass overboots, them come quite large in order to fit around the sandals and not be tight.
Will check this out. Picked up a pair of Sugoi booties today at REI, but they do not look very sturdy.
Old 10-25-18, 09:54 PM
BCDrums

[QUOTE=PaulRivers;20633175]Goretex socks (though I don't use these personally as I switched back to flats and flat shoes):

The Goretex socks look promising, but are pricy. Would like to find locally to try on. Have looked at Rocky Socks and the Gore Socks you mentioned. What do you mean by flats and flat shoes?
Old 10-25-18, 11:54 PM
PaulRivers

Goretex socks (though I don't use these personally as I switched back to flats and flat shoes):

The Goretex socks look promising, but are pricy. Would like to find locally to try on. Have looked at Rocky Socks and the Gore Socks you mentioned.
Showers Pass sells some as well:
https://www.showerspass.com/products...oof-crew-socks

What do you mean by flats and flat shoes?
Someone was saying on this forum that they had done studies and found that clipless didn't actually make any difference in speed for pro racers (when they studied them pedalling in the lab). I already knew I was rather uncomfortable biking with my clipless shoes despite 2 fittings, trying most clipless systems, several pairs of shoes, etc etc etc. Hotspots, foot numbness.

So I tried going back to flat pedals and flat shoes (not clipless) and for me it was huge improvement in comfort and enjoying riding, this is what I settled on as the most functional and comfortable:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...shoe/FT07.html
https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/P...lt-2/Vault-NEW

I started with different shoes but they didn't totally grip the pedal which I didn't like, but five tens do, they're made with a special extra grippy rubber that grabs metal pins on pedals really well. I just wear the same pair of shoes for both summer and winter (along with the socks I mentioned earlier) but they also make other versions.

Water resistant:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...shoe/FT16.html

Winter (some insulation):
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-freerider-eps-mountain-bike-shoe/FT42.html?dwvar_FT42_color=Black&cgid=fiveten-men-bike-shoes

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-26-18 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 11:44 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Picked up a pair of Sugoi booties today at REI, but they do not look very sturdy.
Yeah, none of the booties ever lasted long for me because the sandals are so much bigger/wider than road shoes and so the booties tear quite quickly due to the tug-of-war to get them on, over and above being very tight and cutting off circulation just at the temps where you need high flow in order to stay warm. So that's how I wound up with a very loose booties over the outsides of the sandals, you still get some condensation on longer rides and that can begin to get cold, but at least you can loosen the straps on the sandals to accommodate a double sock and keep lots of airspace to stay warm. I have tried neoprene and other waterproof socks, but didn't like them for being too tight plus the close-to-skin condensation speeds up the chill for me.
Old 10-26-18, 01:56 PM
BCDrums

Will check this out. Picked up a pair of Sugoi booties today at REI, but they do not look very sturdy.
I rode 10 miles today, 43°, wearing a liner sock and a thicker wool sock, with a bootie over one sandal and a plastic oven bag on the other foot, inside the sandal. Stylin'! Neither kept my tootsies warm, but they were less cold on the bagged foot. I noticed condensation inside the bagged foot and not in the bootie, but didn't seem to matter neither case.

Next, off to the scuba shop.
Old 10-26-18, 06:34 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Why not just pick up a pair of SPD shoes? Or even a used pair for mere dollars. Seems like a lot of hassle, what you're doing.
Old 10-26-18, 07:00 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Why not just pick up a pair of SPD shoes? Or even a used pair for mere dollars. Seems like a lot of hassle, what you're doing.
Reasonable question. I have shoes, but I can't stuff enough sock into them to make them warm below 50°. So I was looking for a way to utilize the sandals, which will expand to take quite a lot of socks. But I am looking for some large and wide shoes on sale that would allow more insulation in them.

Of course, there are Lake shoes, but they are costly for about a month's wear. I only wear shoes in the very early spring and late autumn, prefer the sandals as long as possible. I don't cycle through the snowy weather.
Old 10-26-18, 07:26 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

I ride with these, normal shoes plus thick wool socks in -20C weather quite comfortably:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/us/en/dhb-extreme-weather-neoprene-overshoe/rp-prod163615
These are some of the warmest I have seen so far...

Edit: buy 1-3 EU sizes up, if not wearing tight fitting cycling shoes. I use EU 44 keens and the largest overshoes just barely fit.
Old 10-26-18, 08:28 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by alias5000
I ride with these, normal shoes plus thick wool socks in -20C weather quite comfortably:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod163615
These are some of the warmest I have seen so far...

Edit: buy 1-3 EU sizes up, if not wearing tight fitting cycling shoes. I use EU 44 keens and the largest overshoes just barely fit.
To be clear, do you size your shoes up to accommodate thicker socks? Is that advisable?
Old 10-26-18, 09:23 PM
alias5000

Thanks for asking for clarification! I was referring to the overshoes. They are 47-ish, while my shoes are 44. The socks are just normal size.
My shoes sre keens, so closer to boots than spd cycling shoes.

Last edited by alias5000; 10-26-18 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 01:41 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I rode 10 miles today, 43°, wearing a liner sock and a thicker wool sock, with a bootie over one sandal and a plastic oven bag on the other foot, inside the sandal. Stylin'! Neither kept my tootsies warm, but they were less cold on the bagged foot. I noticed condensation inside the bagged foot and not in the bootie, but didn't seem to matter neither case.

Next, off to the scuba shop.
What kind of riding are you trying to do? If you're doing high-intensity training or multi-hour, long distance excursions, I say stop trying to use duct tape and invest in the right tools that will keep you warm (i.e. SPD warm winter shoes)

If you're just going for leisurely 10-mile rides, either switch to non-SPD flat pedals or get an SPD adapter, e.g.:
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-SPD-p.../dp/B005FOP7S6
https://www.amazon.com/Corki-15-Clip.../dp/B01JM5SYGK

Then you can use regular warm winter walking shoes, assuming you have them. I've done 2+ hour rides with such adapters on my SPD-SL pedals and had no problems.
Old 11-07-18, 02:48 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by autonomy
If you're just going for leisurely 10-mile rides, either switch to non-SPD flat pedals or get an SPD adapter, e.g.:
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-SPD-p.../dp/B005FOP7S6
https://www.amazon.com/Corki-15-Clip.../dp/B01JM5SYGK

Then you can use regular warm winter walking shoes, assuming you have them. I've done 2+ hour rides with such adapters on my SPD-SL pedals and had no problems.
Have you used those adapters yourself?
I bought adapters that were similar to that and I thought they were terrible - squirm around under your feet (the "float" from the pedal means they won't stay solid), they flip down the moment you take your foot off the pedal so you have to flip them back up with your foot every time you start going again (which is usually by an intersection), and they didn't grip by feet well either.

If I was going to switch back and forth a lot I've seen "EZ Superior" pedals where you can take the pedal on and off by hand in a few seconds:

I personally switch my pedals several times a year, it's not hard to do as long as you put anti-sieze lube on the pedal threads.
Old 11-07-18, 03:44 PM
alias5000

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Have you used those adapters yourself?
I bought adapters that were similar to that and I thought they were terrible - squirm around under your feet (the "float" from the pedal means they won't stay solid), they flip down the moment you take your foot off the pedal so you have to flip them back up with your foot every time you start going again (which is usually by an intersection), and they didn't grip by feet well either.
Same experience for me. Plus, the Corki-style ones were tremendously difficult to unclip without any long-leverage tools. I will claim the 2cts worth of aluminum for them at some point.