Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

List of ideal mountain bike frames for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

List of ideal mountain bike frames for touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 03:36 PM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by manicmike
I don't know my mountain bike sizing but i normally ride a 25 inch road bike I have 23 inch High Plains that i seem to have trouble getting comfortable on.(hand pain). Do I just need to mess with my cockpit some more? Do they even make older mountain frames any bigger than 23 inch?
23 is about as big as it gets. There are a few older Treks that claimed to be bigger, but I've never seen one in person. A MTB's bottom bracket is usually a couple inches higher than a road bike. So your top tube on a 23 inch MTB will be close to the top tube on your 25 inch road bike.

I ride a 23 inch MTB's and I always swap out stems. The old MTB stems are usually too low and stretched out for me. I like a Nitto Dirtdrop to get the bars up and closer to me.
Old 01-16-13, 03:46 PM
mohatt

Bikes: 1992 Klein Pinnacle and 1995 Chris Chance Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so may be hard to find and has a little old-school cachet, but I use my 92 Klein Pinnacle for touring and commuting. I've many tours, including a 4000 mile trip around Europe on it. I don't have pics with me. But it is a solid aluminum frame that wont bust and rides great! Is it as comfy as steel? No. BUT, when you ride hard, no matter how much load you have on it, you don't feel any flex from the load being swung around.
Old 01-16-13, 03:59 PM
manicmike

Bikes: Soma Saga, Soma ES, Salsa El Mariachi, Old Bianchi SS Conversion. Nishiki Cascade Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I also may try some expedition bars, folks seem to have some luck with those(and they are cheap!).
Old 01-17-13, 11:57 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about Trek 850 Antelope?
Old 01-17-13, 01:00 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Trek 900

Last edited by DVC45; 01-17-13 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 12:54 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Cool 900. Same geometry as the 1988 Trek 850. Straight gauge Tange #5 tubes, but no chainstay mounted U-brakes.
Old 01-21-13, 12:01 PM
steltz02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
I think you may have already eliminated the Trek850 from consideration but I thought I'd post my recent conversion of a 1988 Trek 850 (weird lower brakes and all)

I didn't eliminate it, I just suggested that the chainstay U-brake might not be ideal.

Your 850 is gorgeous, I really dig the color.. It has been added to the list

Originally Posted by VeloVeg
OK, not quite a MTB and not a road bike. Here's my '90 Bridgestone CB-0 (CB-Zip), predecessor to the well regarded XO-1 and sometimes referred to as "the poor man's XO-1". Anyway, I built the Zip up a few years ago and now she has thousands of touring miles on her. On the road and fully loaded she can do it all. She love dirt fire trails. And when performing duties at home she's an amazing all-rounder. Sometimes she puts on her Mustache bars and pretends she a high-class bike! Anyway, here are a few pics of my CB-Zipper.

I should add that the CB-0 has double-butted Tange MTB tubing throughout and the chainstays are nice and long. She's an amazing go-anywhere touring rig.
WOohoo! That's a pretty bridgestone. Added to the list.

Originally Posted by WMcCready
On the lower end of the MTB rung, Ross 1000, have one, and dimensions same as Surly LHT, in 58cm, but heavier.
Thanks.. ANy geometry matching the surly will make a good touring bike

Originally Posted by MassiveD
If you are mostly after a frame the Nashbar Touring bike frame regularly gets as low as 80 bucks, and commonly 100. The only serious knock on it is that it looks to have been designed primarily by someone who was familiar with MTB geometry, but given the thread, I gather this would not be a negative.
I have been hearing alot about these. I will add it to the list in a subcategory as it's not really a MTB, it's a cheap, highly functional touring frame.

Originally Posted by mohatt
OK, so may be hard to find and has a little old-school cachet, but I use my 92 Klein Pinnacle for touring and commuting. I've many tours, including a 4000 mile trip around Europe on it. I don't have pics with me. But it is a solid aluminum frame that wont bust and rides great! Is it as comfy as steel? No. BUT, when you ride hard, no matter how much load you have on it, you don't feel any flex from the load being swung around.
Something like this?

Thanks and added!
Old 01-21-13, 12:06 PM
steltz02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Trek 900

Perfect! Added.

Also here is a picture of the Nashbar touring frame.

Old 01-21-13, 12:26 PM
egear

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giant ATX 980 for the dual suspension crowd. Nice heavy duty alum frame. Made mine into a touring bike which i used for years.
Salsa Fargo for the 29" crowd. Put some Big Apples on it and have a ball.
Old 01-28-13, 08:37 AM
mohatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, exactly. I wish I had a picture of mine on me. I'll try to upload one this week. But here is one for sale that is the same paint scheme as mine: https://s59.beta.photobucket.com/user...Klein%20Flames
Old 01-28-13, 08:38 AM
mohatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steltz02
Something like this?

Thanks and added!
Yes, exactly. I wish I had a picture of mine on me. I'll try to upload one this week. But here is one for sale that is the same paint scheme as mine: https://s59.beta.photobucket.com/user...Klein%20Flames
Old 01-28-13, 10:25 AM
DVC45

I never get a chance to actually go on a tour on mine.
For those who had, how do these conversions perform fully loaded? Do they get shimmy?

Last edited by DVC45; 01-30-13 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 04:13 PM
steltz02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who had, how do these conversions perform fully loaded? Do they get shimmy?
Hopefully some people chime in on this DVC.

I am building up two mountain bikes for a multi year tour. We ended up with a 23" Jamis Dakota for myself and a 1985 Specialized Rockhopper for my buddy.

I will be posting pictures and updates as I go along, including costs.... and unexpected costs.

I paid $80 for each frame...

Replacement was needed for derailleurs on both bikes, both bottom brackets, both wheelsets, both sets of handlebars, and the crank only on the Jamis.. More expenses will be incurred.

The wheelsets I ended up with were 36H Sun Rhinolites on Shimano LX touring Hubs. $200 / set with 30 extra spokes. No one has a stock 36H in 26" these days for a reasonable price, so I got this custom build by bicyclewheels.com; not a bad price considering it's a custom job.

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.

Edit: More pictures of the originals..

It's amazing how similar the Jamis geometry is to the Surly LHT geometry. I will take a picture of the two side by side at some point.

Last edited by steltz02; 01-28-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 09:28 PM
DVC45

Anyone?
Old 01-31-13, 02:13 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older mountain bikes have a goodly amount of trail, which lend themselves to a more stable ride while loaded. However, most manufacturers after 89 started to tighten up their front end geometry significantly, which can cause some problems.

Like all things bicycle, the answer is nuanced. It's not a one-size-fits-all proposition.
Old 01-31-13, 07:46 PM
DVC45

Originally Posted by striknein
Older mountain bikes have a goodly amount of trail, which lend themselves to a more stable ride while loaded. However, most manufacturers after 89 started to tighten up their front end geometry significantly, which can cause some problems.

Like all things bicycle, the answer is nuanced. It's not a one-size-fits-all proposition.
Oh, okay. So, '89 and below has a fair amount of trail. What about flex? Does the bike get noodly when loaded? Much more than a true touring bike?
Old 01-31-13, 08:02 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein

I'm curious, what about if you replace a suspension fork on a modern bike like a Hardrock with a standard length rigid fork? The fork will be shorter so how does that affect the ride?
Old 01-31-13, 09:43 PM
DVC45

Originally Posted by bobotech
I'm curious, what about if you replace a suspension fork on a modern bike like a Hardrock with a standard length rigid fork? The fork will be shorter so how does that affect the ride?
You should really replace it with a suspension corrected fork (corrected for lenght). I would imagine the ride quality would be really bad, if you don't.
Old 02-01-13, 09:50 AM
WMcCready

Bikes: Surly-LHT,KM, Schwinn World,Tempo,High Sierra,Trek820,Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Rincon ( my size 22") . The current all a rounder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0598.jpg (99.1 KB, 1160 views)
Old 02-01-13, 11:46 AM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's my all rounder: a 1992 Schwinn Frontier, 23"

Good points: lugged double butted chromoly frame, long chainstays, nice geometry overall. The stock drivetrain is great for touring: 48/36/26t crankset, Shimano 200GS derailleurs (decent) and a 13-30t 7 speed cassette.

Bad points: no lowrider mounts up front though the fork is double-eyeletted, and no upper braze-ons for a rack, though mine included a nice adapter for the brake bridge that seems to be working just fine. It also has a very high bottom bracket, but so far I haven't noticed any ill effects.

Things I added: WTB Dirt Drops on the stock stem, Ultegra 7/8 speed barcons (modified to fit), saddle, racks and Origin8 Lo-Pro canti brakes.

Old 10-28-13, 11:48 AM
willn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very useful thread, thanks to Steltz for initiating it for all those who have contributed.

At the risk of hijacking it slightly I was hoping for a bit of advise...I'm considering a 1992 Kona cindercone as a touring conversion, any thoughts would be much appreciated, following are links to a pic (not the actual bike I'm looking at but same model and year) and to the geometry statistics- I'm looking at the 20 inch frame and I'm 6'2:

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158214

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/12109-1/91Outer3.jpg

By the way, this retrobike website seems like it could be a good place to pic up second hand mtbs at decent prices, cheers, Will
Old 02-24-14, 01:53 PM
biketourings

Bikes: Nashbar Mountain Bike frame build, Nashbar touring bike frame build, refurbished Puch Bergmeister, Motobecane Prestige, Dahon Mariner, Razeesa Road bike, Spiegel Airman Cruiser, Diamondback Ascent EX MTB, Vista Summit steel lugged commuter bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamond Back Ascent EX with third bottle braze ons

I found this Diamond Back Ascent EX for my wife, she loves it after putting her Brooks saddle on it and rear rack. Note the third water bottle holder under down tube. Planning on changing out the handlebars for her but for now it's original.

https://biketourings.com/3/post/2013/...by-rideon.html
Attached Images
911053_orig.jpg (51.0 KB, 1146 views)
Old 02-24-14, 02:05 PM
biketourings

Bikes: Nashbar Mountain Bike frame build, Nashbar touring bike frame build, refurbished Puch Bergmeister, Motobecane Prestige, Dahon Mariner, Razeesa Road bike, Spiegel Airman Cruiser, Diamondback Ascent EX MTB, Vista Summit steel lugged commuter bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar Mountain Bike for Touring, Very Inexpensive.

Attached Images
6555951_orig.jpg (53.7 KB, 1188 views)
Old 02-24-14, 02:10 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Kuwahara - One of the best Japanese builders who also built bicycles under contract for other companies.

Look for their Japanese built frames with double, triple, and quad butted frames, Kenji script that says "hand built", and straight chainstays which all indicate a higher production level.

My Cascade is an '87... it continued to be sold as an Expedition bike (frame only) for quite some years after it was no longer offered as a complete build... it was a $900.00 bicycle when it was new and production numbers seem to be quite low compared to the Shasta which was a step down the ladder (parts wise) but it had an equally beautiful frame.

Was originally equipped with Deore level parts and has a quad butted Ishiwata mtb frame and I have changed up / upgraded a good number of parts... I wore out the original wheels after 25,000 km and now it rolls on custom built wheels.

The Shimano chainstay brake has not caused me any issues over 40,000 km of cycling... the stopping power is off the hook.

Old 02-24-14, 02:59 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I have a '89 Schwinn Woodlands - a step below the High Plains. Not a bad bike that I got out of the trash. If I ever ride GAP/C&O ths would probably get the nod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.