Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Kysrium ES Axle Conversion - 130mm to 135mm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mavic Kysrium ES Axle Conversion - 130mm to 135mm

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 07:19 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mavic Ksyrium ES Axle Conversion - 130mm to 135mm

I would like to change the rear axle spacing on a Mavic Ksyrium ES hub from 130mm to 135mm (I want to use the wheelset on a Cyclocross frame with 135mm spacing). Is that possible / practical? If so does anyone know what parts I need and where I can get Mavic hub parts?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-10, 11:18 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
If it's not just a matter of buying a MTB spindle and 5mm spacer, I'd imagine Mavic do a MTB hub with the same bearing arrangement; it should be pretty straightforward to get the bits you need.

Years ago, I realised my Giant CFR1 had a 135mm spacing for some reason... rather than bend the carbon stays every time I did up my wheel, I did this trick and enjoyed a stronger rear wheel with less dish : )
Old 01-07-10, 04:55 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
There's really no pressing need to replace the axle. Undo lock nuts, shift axle over a tad, add spacer(s), put lock nuts back, adjust bearings if required.
The main force holding the rear wheel in place is the clamping force of the q/r, a few mm of axle protrusion into the dropouts to guide the wheel into position is plenty.
Old 01-07-10, 11:15 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
There's really no pressing need to replace the axle. Undo lock nuts, shift axle over a tad, add spacer(s), put lock nuts back, adjust bearings if required.
The main force holding the rear wheel in place is the clamping force of the q/r, a few mm of axle protrusion into the dropouts to guide the wheel into position is plenty.
And just how are you going to shift an axle over that is shouldered in places to support the cartridge bearings inside the hub? The end caps on a Kysrium ES are press fit. You can't shift anything over. Which is why the whole point of this thread boils down to whether or not mavic's 26" wheels have a compatible axle that is 135mm that fits his ES.

Old 01-07-10, 11:38 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I run an Ultegra hub/Mavic Open Pro on my Trek 520 touring bike (135mm) most of the time, though I also have a set of Deore/319 wheels.

My favorite mechanic changed out the axle, added a spacer, and redished the wheel. This removes some of the dish (lower tension) on the drive side.
Old 01-07-10, 11:40 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
I run an Ultegra hub/Mavic Open Pro on my Trek 520 touring bike (135mm) most of the time, though I also have a set of Deore/319 wheels.

My favorite mechanic changed out the axle, added a spacer, and redished the wheel. This removes some of the dish (lower tension) on the drive side.
Again, this is not the standard 10x1 shimano QR that are so readily available. That axle is a proprietary mavic design.