Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 05:43 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your doing good, keep it up!
Old 10-30-10, 04:22 PM
Bikerhiker13
Joe

Bikes: LeMond Etape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a test. I am new here and see vintage replies. Anyone out here as recent as 10-30-10?
Old 10-30-10, 04:27 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerhiker13
This is a test. I am new here and see vintage replies. Anyone out here as recent as 10-30-10?
You failed the test. Off to the Rec and Family forum!!
Old 10-30-10, 08:46 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya Dude, what Dnvr said!
Old 11-01-10, 07:27 AM
wwilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One person's biking

I'm a couple of months short of 70.

I have been riding a 36 yr. old 10 speed, but just recently bought a hybrid, mostly to be able to ride upright and stay away from back discomfort and numb hands. I still ride the road bike when I feel the need for speed.

I take no supplements beyond a multivitamin as I dump a fair amount of prescription chemistry into my body daily.

I'm probably in better shape than I have been in quite a while, thanks to the bikes and thrice weekly gym visits.

I returned to biking about 4 years ago shortly after retirement. I biked extensively as a young man (I think), but working and raising a family seemed to occupy most of my free time.

I ride two to three times weekly (weather permitting) and normally do 20 miles on a rail trail.
Old 11-01-10, 03:36 PM
Bikerhiker13
Joe

Bikes: LeMond Etape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Dnvrfox. I had just found this site recently. I just tested because I had only seen old dates. Thanks for reply.
If this site is private, what must one do to be a member? If I said something wrong, seeing what you wrote...
I filled out your questionaire of age, what I ride, etc. I am 54 and usually ride alone. I have read several of these replies. Nice to have something like this to read and share experiences.
Old 11-03-10, 01:00 PM
thcri

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. I am 54 and just starting to ride again

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I have a Trek Mountain Bike 820 with a Madone 5 series or better to be ordered later this year.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Not really

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I have slowed down some since I started this spring due to cold weather and some knee pain

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

I started riding about 15 years ago only to put my bike away after the second year. My bike hung in the garage until just last June when I started again.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

I do a lot of different rides from 1 mile all the way up to 71 miles on roads and trails.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Since June 13th of this year I have put on 1220 miles on my bike

Wasn't sure if I really should have posted here but hopefully my post would fall into the hands of someone who is struggling with health issues like I was. Even at 54 it is not too late to start. Biking is a lot of fun, easy on the body and does wonders for the body.

So here is my story in a nutshell for those that are on the fence at getting started. March of 2010 I ended up going into the emergency room with an obstruction in my upper digestive system. This has happened before due to some scar tissue but this time was different in the fact I was diagnosed Type II diabetes. And yes my weight was way out of line and diabetes runs in my family both sides of my parents. I left that hospital three days later with the intent to start eating right. One month later I was taken off all of the insulin I was prescribed. 4 doses per day. In mid June I was in the garage and saw my old bike hanging from the rafters and pulled it down. I started riding it. I was so far out of shape that I could not even ride the bike a half mile. Today I am averaging 15 miles per trip with my single longest trip being 71 miles. My average of 15 includes all of the 1 mile trips I did when starting. Since June I have ridden over 1200 miles and that is on an old Trek 820. I have lost 70 pounds and would like to lose another 25 yet. I am 6' feet tall and would love to be 200 again. I am within 25. I now have all kinds of energy, I am sleeping much better and have a much better attitude on life. Ask my wife she says I am not as cranky as I used to be. She even has started to ride so I find myself doing short runs so she can catch up to me.

As I said my whole reason to post is not to brag, I pray that this post lands in front of someone who needs to make a change in their life and is thinking it is too late when it is not.
Old 11-03-10, 02:04 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bikerhiker13
Hello Dnvrfox. I had just found this site recently. I just tested because I had only seen old dates. Thanks for reply.
If this site is private, what must one do to be a member? If I said something wrong, seeing what you wrote...
I filled out your questionaire of age, what I ride, etc. I am 54 and usually ride alone. I have read several of these replies. Nice to have something like this to read and share experiences.
Oh, a $1,000 initiation fee would be nice.

But otherwise, just post away.

Thanks for joining us.
Old 11-03-10, 02:07 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by thcri
Please tell us your age. I am 54 and just starting to ride again

I have a Trek Mountain Bike 820 with a Madone 5 series or better to be ordered later this year.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Not really

I have slowed down some since I started this spring due to cold weather and some knee pain

I started riding about 15 years ago only to put my bike away after the second year. My bike hung in the garage until just last June when I started again.

I do a lot of different rides from 1 mile all the way up to 71 miles on roads and trails.

Since June 13th of this year I have put on 1220 miles on my bike

Wasn't sure if I really should have posted here but hopefully my post would fall into the hands of someone who is struggling with health issues like I was. Even at 54 it is not too late to start. Biking is a lot of fun, easy on the body and does wonders for the body.

So here is my story in a nutshell for those that are on the fence at getting started. March of 2010 I ended up going into the emergency room with an obstruction in my upper digestive system. This has happened before due to some scar tissue but this time was different in the fact I was diagnosed Type II diabetes. And yes my weight was way out of line and diabetes runs in my family both sides of my parents. I left that hospital three days later with the intent to start eating right. One month later I was taken off all of the insulin I was prescribed. 4 doses per day. In mid June I was in the garage and saw my old bike hanging from the rafters and pulled it down. I started riding it. I was so far out of shape that I could not even ride the bike a half mile. Today I am averaging 15 miles per trip with my single longest trip being 71 miles. My average of 15 includes all of the 1 mile trips I did when starting. Since June I have ridden over 1200 miles and that is on an old Trek 820. I have lost 70 pounds and would like to lose another 25 yet. I am 6' feet tall and would love to be 200 again. I am within 25. I now have all kinds of energy, I am sleeping much better and have a much better attitude on life. Ask my wife she says I am not as cranky as I used to be. She even has started to ride so I find myself doing short runs so she can catch up to me.

As I said my whole reason to post is not to brag, I pray that this post lands in front of someone who needs to make a change in their life and is thinking it is too late when it is not.
And your post is EXACTlY the reason I started this thread. It is great to learn from and be inspired by others.

Congratulations on your weight loss, your energy and increased health and endurance.

Ain't it grand?
Old 11-03-10, 05:58 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, welcome friend, glad you are here.

Post a lot, reply a lot and enjoy being with friends.
Old 11-15-10, 03:26 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I'm 58 years old
I ride a '78 World Sports, that I just purchased on MercadoLibre, on Sundays, and an early 90s Giant Prodigy around the city. This one is outfitted with racks, front and rear, and saddlebags. I often carry a back pack as well.
We don't own a car, so I use a Méxican built cargo trike when we we need to haul something.
And a Mexican brand " Mercurio" folding bike, that I can take on the bus with me, when I go out to the country, birdwatching, etc.
When I'm in the States, I ride a Giant Comfort bike(can't remember the model), and a Trek 7100, depending on where I'm staying at the time. I'd like to pick up a road bike next summer if I can find one cheap.
I ride up to 60 miles on Sunday, and, now that winter is here, would like to increase steadily toward 100. I ride every day in the city doing errands and shopping.
I take MSM for my knees, zinc for my immune system, and various others intermittently.
I am an early retired farmer, living in Mérida, Yucatán, for a small fraction of what it would take in the US. In two more years My wife can begin collecting her pension. Farmers don't get pensions.
I've been riding for over 50 years, with a ten year hiatus, when I could have used a mtn. bike, had they been available. I've ridden centuries and double centuries in my past, and would like to get back to that conditioning again. I'm much stronger and lighter than I was ten years ago.

https://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...lize/bicycles/
Old 11-15-10, 04:16 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I'm 58 years old
I ride a '78 World
Welcome.

I don't think we have any other participants from Mexico.\

My wife and I spent a week at Playa del Carmen many years ago - one of those resort places.
Old 11-15-10, 07:02 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Farmer, glad to see you here and look forward to your post.

Keep Pumping & Cranking
Old 11-17-10, 10:18 PM
mikeinsa

Bikes: Lynskey R230 ; Colnago Dream; Paris Sport Steely

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure I can be a regular contributor but would love to contribute some, so here goes:
Got sober at 26 and decided I needed to do something for myself. I wanted to do something good for me, but running was out of the picture, and cycling looked like fun. Bought an inexpensive, actually moderate at the time, PUCH Steely frame with OK stuff and started to ride. Wasn't long before the PUCH was too heavy, and I NEEDED a nicer bike, so I got myself a higher quality "hand made in the USA' Trek 420. Triple crank, better components sport tourer setup. Started riding longer and more often. Then after a Moonlight Ramble party, someone suggested we all do Bicycle Across Missouri. . . 540 miles over Labor day weekend. My first century. . . Finished in the mandatory 60 hrs and was hooked. Wrecked the TREK on TOSRV the next Mothers Day. Replaced it with a custom race frame bought from a local racer and moved the groupo over. That summer I got into a training group and we all did Paris-Brest-Paris over that Labor Day.
Got married, got a career, went to grad school, had a couple of kids, played at golf, and the bike got ridden less and less and less. Then my youngest started going to tutoring next door to a local pro shop. That old bug bit again!!!
Got the old Paris Sport back out, but the new stuff was too much better. I couldn't keep up with down tube shifters and a 6 speed freewheel. I had to buy a new ride! If you're gonna buy one, buy the best you can afford at the time right? Picked out a Colnago Dream Frame and fork, and the LBS owner set me up with a good used Campy Record 10spd group and nice Fulcrum5 wheels and it was "back in the saddle again!" That was 6 years ago. .

I still have the Paris Sport Steely it's Vitus 753 and has been repainted 3 times and retrofitted with a 9 spd Campy Mirage group.
I have the Colnago Dream (white with red and blue stripes) with 2006 vintage Campy 10 spd. and a Brooks Team pro saddle; and last year I got a deal on a Lynskey titanium R 230 which I fitted with a Campy Chorous group. They're all nice bikes, the Lynskey is the best onthe Texas chip seal, but the Colnago and Paris Sport are still great rides.

NO! do I have to???? Actually the cardiologist (yep! too much off the bike time!) has me on cholesterol meds and a beta blocker, and aspirin.

Some, but I keep working on trying to get faster. I have a 60 yr old friend in Cali who does double centuries every other weekend. . . .I'd love to do that too, but all I really want to do is spend the time with my friends. Fast or slow, doesn't matter. As long as we can BS with each other and stop for coffee somewhere I'm happy. I've done my share of doubles, don't have to prove it anymore. "Just riding with my friends"

See above . . . figure it out 58 minus 26 ?

Long rides, fast rides, slow rides, club rides, shop rides, solo rides. Don't care. . .Just wanna ride.

At least 3 to 5 times a week. Average 38.2 miles. . . Actually that's what we call our club; Team 38.2 - We stop for Coffee!

One of my best friends is 69yrs old and going strong. . . Planning to buy a Vanilla frame, but he's waffling on the 5 yr wait. . . Then there are the other 2 guys in the club who are both over 70 and literally kick our butts every time we ride with them. . . Going to Italy next year, (Sienna) . . Anybody got any ride ideas?

Last edited by mikeinsa; 11-17-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 11:04 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great Mike.

Glad you are riding.

Keep us posted with your rides.
Old 11-19-10, 09:56 PM
Road Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! This is the first time I've been on the 50+ forum. As I was reading over a half dozen pages of posts I realized I'm in a minority when it comes to my means of bicycle transportation. I'm riding virtually the same thing I was in the 50s as a kid - Cleveland Welding Company Roadmasters with the bumper style Shockmaster springer forks. I really enjoy the classics especially wrenching on them. I build them up from parts completely customized as I would as a kid except these babies weigh in at about 60 pounds. Even with single speed gearing I like to ride with a cadence that I did when I was riding 10 to 21 speed bikes. I usually just cruise around the local area for about ten miles and try to keep the speed up a little over 13 mph average. I don't ride for health reasons, just fun. It's nice to see so many people of all ages riding bikes - it was my first means of transportation and will probably be my last. Oh yeah - I'm 60. Thanks alot.

Last edited by Road Master; 11-19-10 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Forgor to include my age
Old 11-19-10, 10:01 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Master
Hi! This is the first time I've been on the 50+ forum. As I was reading over a half dozen pages of posts I realized I'm in a minority when it comes to my means of bicycle transportation. I'm riding virtually the same thing I was in the 50s as a kid - Cleveland Welding Company Roadmasters with the bumper style Shockmaster springer forks. I really enjoy the classics especially wrenching on them. I build them up from parts completely customized as I would as a kid except these babies weigh in at about 60 pounds. Even with single speed gearing I like to ride with a cadence that I did when I was riding 10 to 21 speed bikes. I usually just cruise around the local area for about ten miles and try to keep the speed up a little over 13 mph average. I don't ride for health reasons, just fun. It's nice to see so many people of all ages riding bikes - it was my first means of transportation and will probably be my last. Thanks alot.
Nice that you joined.
Post some pics over here.
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ic-amp-Vintage

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-19-10 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 10:09 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see you in the "Older" group.
Glad to read about your bike, be sure and post a picture when you have time.

And, hope you'll post like you vote, often!
Old 11-20-10, 01:55 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Welcome.

I don't think we have any other participants from Mexico.\

My wife and I spent a week at Playa del Carmen many years ago - one of those resort places.
The Maya Riviera is very beautiful, and further south, there are far fewer people. Believe it or not, I used to tie up my hammock between two palm trees in what is now the center of the downtown beach area. Nobody else around, 1 or 2 hotels. White, empty beach as far as the eye could see in both directions

Over here in NW Yucatán, seems everybody who moves here, either full time or part time, is old, no matter their years. They could be in their 40s, and act like geezers. I know one other cyclist, a man of 62 and a former criterium racer. I play tennis with one or two others, and we can't find a fourth. Thanks to my bikes(and getting out of the US), I am far healthier, leaner, and younger than I was 15 years ago.
Old 11-21-10, 03:16 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seed, you didn't fill in your age!

I'm 68
Old 11-21-10, 06:46 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Burr
Seed, you didn't fill in your age!

I'm 68
He edited his post and admits to being 60.

Just a "Young un."

But, you are welcome anyway.
Old 11-27-10, 01:00 AM
Tigger_the_Wing
ReviveRider

Bikes: Giant Revive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been towing my mobility walker behind my bicycle. It seemed to be working well, I don't notice it except for the rattle from the walker's wheels; which are wearing out rather fast! Oops…

So, a few days ago hubby said I could get a trailer. I decided that it would be good to get one I could use for the following three uses:
  1. Carrying my walker
  2. Carrying shopping
  3. Carrying the dog*

*There are plenty of off-leash places around here for her to get exercise running alongside the bicycle, the problem is getting her there when I can't walk very far and it is illegal to ride a bike whilst holding a dog's leash.

It seemed that one of the kiddie trailers would be the best to do all jobs.

I looked on eBay. The prices were !

This morning I decided to look at the local online small ads. Not that I'd ever seen a trailer advertised, but we are also looking for a bike for one of the twins who has outgrown his current one.

There it was: a Pacific kiddie trailer, practically new, for just Au$50 (instead of the new price of Au$385). The advert had only been put in a few hours earlier! I rang them and it wasn't sold, so we went over in the car and bought it (it was too far to ride).

I'm so happy!
Old 11-27-10, 04:25 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad you're happy.
Old 11-27-10, 07:21 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I'm so happy!
What could be better than being happy!!
Old 12-04-10, 10:10 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK - Guess I'll bite. :-)

Please tell us your age. 52 next month

Dunno about others, but I have a 2010 Trek Navigator 2.0 - The 'comfort' philosophy seems to fit my ... ahem ... soft ... physical shape as of right now. Hopefully that will change and I'll find myself on a $7000 carbon machine before too long. :-) That is, as long as someone gives me $7000.

No; just a statin to offset (mostly hereditary) cholesterol

Some mornings, not too much. Others, I understand why Fred Sanford walked like he did.

Current bike, since last spring. Prior to that, it was in high school. Basically nothing in between.

For now, I'd definitely be classified as short rec rides (< 10 miles), but that's mainly a result of trying to get into shape and form for longer riding, if not rides.

Mileage? No idea yet. I ride when I can, but with Louisiana weather it's variable and there always seems to be something interfering...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.