Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

List of Schwinn Paramount Owners

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

List of Schwinn Paramount Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 01:53 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
Scooper, I noticed a difference in frame sizes between your yellow bike and the chrome version. Do you ride them both?
The yellow one has a 21" frame and the chrome one has a 24" frame. For a while, I rode the yellow one with a tall Nitto 120 mm extension stem, Nitto 42 cm bars, and nearly seven inches of seatpost showing. The original 165 crank arms were too short, so I replaced the crankset with one that has 172.5 crank arms, and that crankset is still on the bike. It was rideable, but really too small for me.

Recently, I put the 38 cm bars and original stem back on, and keep it around for shorter friends to ride.

The chrome bike is a perfect fit for me (6' 0" with 35" inseam). It's the one I ride now.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 05-18-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 02:24 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Regarding the ownership of the name "Paramount", the book No Hands - The Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company, An American Institution has this to say in describing the terms of the sale of Schwinn assets to Zell-Chilmark during the 1993 bankruptcy:

The task of engineering the optimal payout to unsecured creditors fell to Kattens Mark Thomas, who worked to reduce the size of questionable claims and negotiated to get the best deals possible for the assets of the Schwinn Estate not picked up by Zell-Chilmark. One of those unwanted holdings was Schwinn's Paramount machine shop in Waterford, Wisconsin. Shortly after the close of the Zell-Chilmark deal, the estate sold the Paramount Design Group to Richard Schwinn, who is forging his own path in the bike business. Richard and partners George Garner and former Schwinn designer Marc Muller paid $145,000 for the subsidiary that hand-crafted bikes. Yet even Richard cannot lay claim to the family's famed Paramount brand. The Zell Group owns that name, too. Garner bailed out one year after the purchase, following disagreements with Richard. Ed's younger brother - the only Schwinn left in the bicycle manufacturing business - must make the diminished enterprise spin with a new handle, Waterford Precision Cycles.

The name "Paramount" was a Schwinn asset given to Zell-Chilmark, and unless somehow reacquired by Richard Schwinn/Waterford in the past 13 years, now belongs to Dorel Industries, parent of Pacific Cycle.

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 05-18-06 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 02:27 PM
DLH

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champion SL, Raliegh SP200, Trek 830

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Subtract from your list the owners of REAL Motobecanes, made by an actual bike company in France. Subtract the posts from "newbies" who registered after you started your list, post on your thread, and disappear. (Just how many new member names have YOU created in the past month?)

What is left? Less than thirty folks own one of the BikesDirect bikes with Motobecane stickers put on them. Less than thirty, out of the thousand of REAL members of BikeForums (real members being those people who post on threads that are not advertisements for BikesDirect).

You post almost every day in your effort to keep a BikesDirect product on Page One of "Road Cycling". Perhaps you think that having an ad on Page One will sell some bikes for BikesDirect.

Instead, you are drawing attention to the fact that this brand has fewer actual customers than chilli pepper flavored breath mints.
If you checked the list, I made it clear of whom has a "Real" Motobecane and who has a BD Motobecane and any other forum members. All of the members post in other places and you can request to have the administrator to check by IP addresses if one member is creating multiple usernames. You will find that your theory is incorrect. Like I said before you can not do math. By the way what bike or bikes do you own? Post pics for us.

P.S. I started posting just because of you and so have many others. I bet if you kept your flytrap shut and stopped bashing our bikes the posts might die down, but you keep them active. I update the Motobecane list when someone new requests to be added and it just keeps growing.
Old 05-18-06, 05:14 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Regarding the ownership of the name "Paramount", the book No Hands - The Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company, An American Institution has this to say in describing the terms of the sale of Schwinn assets to Zell-Chilmark during the 1993 bankruptcy:

The task of engineering the optimal payout to unsecured creditors fell to Kattens Mark Thomas, who worked to reduce the size of questionable claims and negotiated to get the best deals possible for the assets of the Schwinn Estate not picked up by Zell-Chilmark. One of those unwanted holdings was Schwinn's Paramount machine shop in Waterford, Wisconsin. Shortly after the close of the Zell-Chilmark deal, the estate sold the Paramount Design Group to Richard Schwinn, who is forging his own path in the bike business. Richard and partners George Garner and former Schwinn designer Marc Muller paid $145,000 for the subsidiary that hand-crafted bikes. Yet even Richard cannot lay claim to the family's famed Paramount brand. The Zell Group owns that name, too. Garner bailed out one year after the purchase, following disagreements with Richard. Ed's younger brother - the only Schwinn left in the bicycle manufacturing business - must make the diminished enterprise spin with a new handle, Waterford Precision Cycles.

The name "Paramount" was a Schwinn asset given to Zell-Chilmark, and unless somehow reacquired by Richard Schwinn/Waterford in the past 13 years, now belongs to Dorel Industries, parent of Pacific Cycle.
Richard Schwinn at Waterford informed me this afternoon that Dorel/Pacific does currently own the legal right to name a bike "Schwinn Paramount". It is heartbreaking that so many of the great brand names in cycling have lost their name to sleezeball shlockmeisters.

But, if any of us ever see a "Schwinn Paramount" at Wal-Mart, we would recognize it as a fake. There is only one real Schwinn making top quality road bikes, and that is Richard Schwinn at Waterford Bikes.
Old 05-18-06, 05:57 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
But, if any of us ever see a "Schwinn Paramount" at Wal-Mart, we would recognize it as a fake. There is only one real Schwinn making top quality road bikes, and that is Richard Schwinn at Waterford Bikes.
Well said, Alan.

my bikes

Old 05-18-06, 10:35 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DLH
If you checked the list, I made it clear of whom has a "Real" Motobecane and who has a BD Motobecane and any other forum members. All of the members post in other places and you can request to have the administrator to check by IP addresses if one member is creating multiple usernames. You will find that your theory is incorrect. Like I said before you can not do math. By the way what bike or bikes do you own? Post pics for us.

P.S. I started posting just because of you and so have many others. I bet if you kept your flytrap shut and stopped bashing our bikes the posts might die down, but you keep them active. I update the Motobecane list when someone new requests to be added and it just keeps growing.
DLH, don't bother explaining yourself. Before calling an @sshole and @sshole, I wanted to check out some posts, to confirm my suspicions, if you do a search on "communist" you will find that this troll has espoused hatred for quite some time, just put him on your ignore list and you won't need to see his posts anymore. I would also suggest you remove the qualifications you added to your list. It doesn't matter if your Motobecane is French or from an importer, the importer owns the name and has a right to use it, either way it's still a Motobecane.

BTW a troll by definition is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed to intentionally annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion as their only purpose. This is in fact exactly what he does in every thread that mentions anything about bikes from SE Asia. Notice I said SE Asia, this troll will interpret that as someone not knowing the difference between Taiwan, and China. The only way a troll goes away is when he is ignored.
Old 05-18-06, 10:47 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
...a troll by definition is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed to intentionally annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion as their only purpose...
Well, you just described YOUR function in this thread. Another carefully reasoned, well thought out, logical, factual, educational post from Waldo. Or not.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 05-19-06 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 11:24 PM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by crazyb; 05-18-06 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 06:02 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
very nice bike, but get the reflecotrs off
Old 05-19-06, 06:34 AM
crazyb

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
very nice bike, but get the reflecotrs off
They are ugly aren't they? These pics were taken last fall the day I bought it. The reflectors came off after a lot of thought. I got the bike in pristine from the factory condition, including all original parts and components, including tires and tubes, and reflectors. But they were just to ugly to keep on the bike.
Old 05-19-06, 06:56 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I've got an early 90's Waterford Paramount mountain bike. Does that count?

It's been to hell and back and looks like it too but It's still a great bike.
Old 05-19-06, 06:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by crazyb
They are ugly aren't they? These pics were taken last fall the day I bought it. The reflectors came off after a lot of thought. I got the bike in pristine from the factory condition, including all original parts and components, including tires and tubes, and reflectors. But they were just to ugly to keep on the bike.
I'd hang on to them, just in case you ever want to sell it in exactly the condition it came from the factory, easy to throw back on.
Old 05-19-06, 06:19 PM
crazyb

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'd hang on to them, just in case you ever want to sell it in exactly the condition it came from the factory, easy to throw back on.
I've got em. Unfortunately I hang on to just about everything I take off of bikes. I probably have 15 or twenty sets of reflectors from different bikes. A lot of the bikes I don't even have.
Old 05-20-06, 12:40 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my '67 paramount track bike...the paint and decals are pretty banged up, but I'm just going to ride it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
paramount1.jpg (59.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
paramount2.jpg (98.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by fogrider; 05-20-06 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-20-06, 02:46 PM
cabbagerwsb
1 inch pitch

Bikes: 1940 paramount track, colnago technos track, bianchi pista concept, landshark trackshark (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my paramount daily driver
Old 10-30-11, 10:22 AM
silvercreek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Ah, the yellow one. It's a Kool Lemon 1971 P13-9.

I want it!
Old 10-30-11, 10:54 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by silvercreek
I want it!
... and I'd sell it to you if it weren't on "permanent loan" to my niece.

How did you find this five year old thread?

my bikes

Old 10-30-11, 12:41 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, nobody specified vintage. So here's my 2010 Paramount Series 9.

Old 10-30-11, 08:38 PM
KRhea

Bikes: Lots

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here's mine: 100% original

KRhea
Old 10-30-11, 09:05 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by KRhea

KRhea
I love that color!

my bikes

Old 10-30-11, 11:52 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KRhea

Schwing! Umm, I mean Schwinn!
Old 10-31-11, 07:17 AM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
1971 P13-9, original chrome, full Campy:

Old 10-31-11, 07:52 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

With ABH, this thread is a walk down memory lane.

Perhaps someone could bump a platform pedals thread.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-31-11, 12:49 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mchacon01
Okay, nobody specified vintage. So here's my 2010 Paramount Series 9.

Sweet Baby Jesus! That is just wrong.

On the other hand . . . I would trade my left cojone for that yellow one.
Old 10-31-11, 01:09 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Windmills.

Lances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.