Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Oregon Gran Fondo 2012

There is still time to sign up for the Oregon Gran Fondo. The routes this year are outstanding, with a start and finish in Cottage Grove, just south of Eugene.

The courses are 117 or 71 miles in the beautiful forests of the Coast Range west of Cottage Grove. June 2 and 3, 2012.

https://dark30sports.com/events/the-o...ne-2-3-2012-3/
Old 05-15-12, 08:40 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I couldn't pass this one up. Signed up for the 117 but may adjust down to 71 if I am not feeling good that day.
Old 05-16-12, 11:41 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Those both look like good routes. I'd be pretty tired if I rode down there to do them though, even if I rode down the day before and spent the night.
Old 05-24-12, 08:25 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks awesome and I want to do it, but just can't come up with the funds (Registration + childcare + misc expenses). Good luck and have fun those who are going.
Old 05-25-12, 11:12 AM
rearviewbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope the weather holds out for you guys! I thought about it until I saw the forecast...
Old 05-31-12, 10:22 AM
KRhea

Bikes: Lots

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'll be there. Forecast went from 20% chance of rain to 50% overnight. Could be a bit chilly especially as you do the long climb to a bit of elevation. We're doing the 117. Should be one of the prettiest rides this year.

If you do the ride and see any Portland Velo jerseys say hello!

KRhea
Old 05-31-12, 08:47 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Even though it will likely be a bit wet, it shouldn't be cold enough to give anyone any troubles. My concern would be the organic debris on the road. When it is wet it can get a bit slick, so I hope folks ride smart. The Upper Smith and Siuslaw river roads are lousy places to break a collar bone (as if there is a good place to do it).
Old 06-02-12, 12:08 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Even though it will likely be a bit wet, it shouldn't be cold enough to give anyone any troubles. My concern would be the organic debris on the road. When it is wet it can get a bit slick, so I hope folks ride smart. The Upper Smith and Siuslaw river roads are lousy places to break a collar bone (as if there is a good place to do it).
If it was a motorcycle ride I could see your point. As it is, I wish I could ride my bicycle fast enough to need to worry about that stuff. Well, pea gravel can still be a concern in places where they don't sweep it off the corners I guess.
Old 06-02-12, 08:20 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Well, it was nice to see so many cyclists in my backyard today. Okay, the O & C is my former backyard, but it's still close enough that I do a great many miles there. Anyway, the ride looked like a smashing success.

I rode one of my regular routes contraflow to the gran fondo, which cannot really be called gran if they skip Dunn Ridge (aka Roman Nose), but it was their first shot at it, so the organizers get a pass. I counted 187 bikes on the gran, and then I got to see about half of them again on my way home. I was pleased to see that folks were still all smiles and joy as they rolled home along the Siuslaw River.

The weather was just short of perfect. There was a slight mist in a few locales, but not enough to warrant anything but a long-sleeve jersey.The sun did finally come out for the second half, which was nice.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there was quite a bit of wet tree debris on the roads, particularly along the lower portion of Upper Smith River Rd., which is quite narrow. It's actually more of a bike path than a proper road, which is fine since there are several cyclists, including my wife and I, who log a lot more miles there than any motorist. Anyway, folks seemed to be handling it well, perhaps because everyone had to be on the lookout for the moon-crater sized holes that exist out there.
Old 06-02-12, 08:37 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I was at the finish line to see the sprint for first place of the 117 mile riders. Very exciting with the winner crossing the line by hundredths of a second. City of Cottage Grove really stepped up with fantastic support and park facilities, props to the Police department for exceptional management of downtown traffic as riders headed for the finish line.