Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Folder - 1986 Dahon

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 03:08 PM
Abe Froman
Sausage King

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Langster, Kilo WT, 1986 Dahon Classic Folder, 1986 Panasonic Mountain Cat

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found my first folder at a local charity. Offered them $30 and they were glad to take it.

It's a 1986 Dahon, and as far as I can tell its complete except for maybe the chain guard.

I got it home in the work stand and the hub was froze up. Pedals wouldn't turn forward or back. I filled the SA AW hub with oil and it broke loose. Now it spins and shifts really nice.

I originally thought about tearing it down and rebuilding it, but really it seems good as is. I'll probably just take some parts off and polish them up while continuing to red it around. I have a trip coming up in a month it will be perfect for.

Untitled

Untitled

One thing I am noticing is the drive side crank arm contacts the rear brake caliper when pedaling. I haven't adjusted anything yet, so I'll have to look at that.
Old 06-12-12, 03:43 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Nice... I have two of them, mine are dated as 1984's. One has the SA hub the other a Sachs...go figure. I have one of mine up and running pretty strong, the other I haven't gotten to yet. I had to replace fenders and provide a rack. FWIW I was able to use the modern ones.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-12-12, 04:28 PM
Abe Froman
Sausage King

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Langster, Kilo WT, 1986 Dahon Classic Folder, 1986 Panasonic Mountain Cat

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Aaron!

After some investigating as to why my right side crank arm was contacting (slightly) the rear brake, I found the chain line was off. The chainring was too far inboard. I took the BB apart and flipped the spindle around. Now it clears fine and the chain line is straight.
Old 06-12-12, 04:34 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Let me know if you find brake pads. They have an odd slant to them. I am using the OEM pads that came on the bike, but am looking for some sort of replacement. I am considering cutting down a set of Koolstops. I have been hauling mine around in my work car and have gotten several nice rides in. I got downsized from a pickup to a Honda Accord

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-12-12, 09:11 PM
alaskanb3arcub

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like mine(except mine is yellow). I have this wacky(and less than impressive) asbestos belt-on-drum brake system that doesn't work for long before requiring adjustment. The first thing I did was make a change to my shifting system though. I have a 5 speed derailleur on the back wheel and I found the lever shift to be... inconvenient, so replaced it with grip shift. While the shifter was being replaced, I also replaced the grips(cold and wet weather necessitates gloves, which were not working well with the narrow plastic grips) and put a Bar-end Incredibell in. My next6 upgrade is likely to be a new set of wheels, putting a internal shifting hub in the back, bypassing the (original?) Tourney Derailleur.

I notice you guys have caliper brakes on your bikes, but I can't clearly see the mounts. Could someone take a more detailed picture of how your brakes are mounted that I might be able to use as a reference to replace mine?

Last edited by alaskanb3arcub; 06-12-12 at 09:14 PM.