Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Atlantic - article about agressive bicyclists

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Atlantic - article about agressive bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 01:42 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Yes, but those facts wont matter to most who have already made up their mind on the subject.
How exactly do these "facts" apply here?
Old 07-13-12, 01:50 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I think this kind of reflex (and so hostile!) dismissal of any critique of cycling is also pretty useless. The article states the path isn't divided at that spot. The cyclist rounding a blind turn at speed on a multi-use path is pretty obviously at fault, either in part, or whole.
I have to agree... I try to always approach blind corners on the MUP with caution - I generally treat them with the expectation that there is someone around that corner and I should be prepared to avoid them.
That being said, I generally ride defensively since I have seen drivers, cyclists and pedestrians doing all sorts of crazy traffic manoeuvres over the years - just last week I saw a dude on a brakeless fixie riding on the sidewalk, against traffic, (barely) weaving around pedestrians who couldn't see him coming - all while talking on a cell phone! But I digress... It is the vehicle operators responsibility to be in control of their vehicle at all times, so blasting around a blind corner too fast to stop on a non segregated MUP is automatically the riders fault.

That being said, the article seems to make it out that this is becoming a menace to society and a larger problem than it is - I doubt this is a very common occurrence compared to car vs pedestrian incidents, and due to it's painful nature, I doubt there's a lot of repeat offenders.
Old 07-13-12, 02:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
I think this kind of reflex (and so hostile!) dismissal of any critique of cycling is also pretty useless.
The thing is, the story is overblown, and there are a lot of bullies driving motor vehicles that really don't need to be encouraged in their self-appointed efforts to police cyclists. It's easy to find threads on BikeForums about accidents between negligent motorists and cyclists that are far worse than anything in that article. This kind of article adversely affects cyclists that go out of our way to be safe and considerate of other road users.
Old 07-13-12, 02:56 PM
Koobazaur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here, lemme break it down for you guys:

Old 07-13-12, 03:10 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a people problem, not a mode of transportation problem. If cars and bikes were suddenly outlawed, I promise you there'd be people breaking every walking law that existed.
Old 07-13-12, 03:21 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I think this kind of reflex (and so hostile!) dismissal of any critique of cycling is also pretty useless. The article states the path isn't divided at that spot. The cyclist rounding a blind turn at speed on a multi-use path is pretty obviously at fault, either in part, or whole.
Of course, blame the cyclist without any of the facts even if the runner might have been running on the wrong side of the path. For all we know the cyclist may have only been traveling 3 mph when the runner could have run into a nearly stopped cyclist.

There have been many times on the "bike path" that I have come to a complete stop 20 yards away and had walkers on the wrong side nearly walk into my front wheel.

Last edited by CB HI; 07-13-12 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 03:32 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Novakane
But I digress... It is the vehicle operators responsibility to be in control of their vehicle at all times, so blasting around a blind corner too fast to stop on a non segregated MUP is automatically the riders fault.
I hope you never end up on a jury, ready to convict without any of the facts, just choosing to make up your own supposed facts.

With you, it would have been my fault if any of those walkers hurt themselves walking into my completely stopped bike.
Old 07-13-12, 03:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I've got just the course to offer, "Effective Walking." My tests and unique analysis of data show that "crashes" will be reduced by 80% for those exposed to my instructions. And anyone who casts doubt on my findings and course material is nothing but an incompetent dunderhead.
I propose special walking lanes that will compose of a partial network that won't allow you really go anywhere, but it will keep those pesky walkers out of the way of superior cyclists.
Old 07-13-12, 03:40 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Koobazaur

OMG, there is in the very center a group of dumb people that walk, ride bikes and drive... they must be eliminated at all costs.
Old 07-13-12, 03:54 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I hope you never end up on a jury, ready to convict without any of the facts, just choosing to make up your own supposed facts.

With you, it would have been my fault if any of those walkers hurt themselves walking into my completely stopped bike.
Unlikely this case would end up in front of a jury, however, from the information presented in the article the cyclist 'slammed' into her, not 'bumped' or 'tickled'.
Secondly part of the bike dug into her head quite deeply, although unlikely - I will concede that it could be possible from low speed but I can't imagine how, it again suggested to me that the cyclist was going at a decent speed.
However, you are correct that I am basing my statement on incomplete information regarding the incident and I was making a fairly generalized statement.

Immediately after I posted I thought I should have added the caveat of "while the vehicle is in motion" but I thought it went without saying. I'll try to be more precise, but I'll leave the post as-is since it's been commented on.
Anyway, the point is that in the case of someone walking into a stopped vehicle of any sort - as the operator you've done all that's humanly possible and are definitely 'in control' so I don't think that counts as recklessness.
Old 07-13-12, 04:13 PM
degnaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As someone who drives, walks, AND rides bikes, I'm greatly affronted by this diagram.
Old 07-13-12, 04:48 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by degnaw
As someone who drives, walks, AND rides bikes, I'm greatly affronted by this diagram.
I think that diagram was meant to show that there are dumb people in all three of the other groups not that people in all three groups were dumb.
Old 07-13-12, 04:53 PM
Koobazaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry
I think that diagram was meant to show that there are dumb people in all three of the other groups not that people in all three groups were dumb.
zing. there is a reason why the three circles dont overlap creating a "person who does all 3", I wasnt targeting those who do all 3, just pointing out that each group contains not-so-clever folks who will invariably lead to an accident.

heck every once in a while you'll even hear of pedestrians walking into each other. granted, there is not as much damage-potential as with the other modes of transportation, but the point stands.
Old 07-13-12, 05:01 PM
degnaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm aware, I was just being fatuous.
Old 07-14-12, 02:55 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts

Yep.

My only problem with this graphic is the size of the circles is wrong. People who drive and people who walk are much larger circles than the people who bike circle thus entitling those two groups to a larger share of the dumb pie.
Old 07-14-12, 03:06 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Aggressive drivers are a much larger problem and threat nationwide to other humans regardless of transportation mode.
pretty much an article about nothing because its easier to talk about nothing than to talk about complex issues that need to be addressed.
Old 07-14-12, 05:22 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bingo!
Old 07-14-12, 06:52 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Novakane
Unlikely this case would end up in front of a jury, however, from the information presented in the article the cyclist 'slammed' into her, not 'bumped' or 'tickled'.
Secondly part of the bike dug into her head quite deeply, although unlikely - I will concede that it could be possible from low speed but I can't imagine how, it again suggested to me that the cyclist was going at a decent speed....
Even that claim is pure supposition.

"I think what happened is our heads hit and then something on his bike must have punctured my forehead," she says about the accident.
It could have just as easily been a branch from one of the bushes that the runner noted were along the path or the cyclist helmet.

Sounds like the runner was cutting the corner of the bend, never a good idea; but will will never know because poorly written article leaves out the facts.
Old 07-14-12, 08:19 PM
vtkarl

Bikes: 04 Guru Chron'Alu, 08 Specialized Allez Elite, 03 Felt F1R, 10 Fuji Tahoe Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree in a sense it is an article about nothing, in that it is one anecdote. I ignored the silly solutions. But The Atlantic isn't exactly Bike Forums, and their editor's column was about how bike sharing and the Olympics have changed cycling in London. It is strange for a magazine that normally carries big ideas and deep thoughts.

I also recall that Honolulu already requires bike permits, and that they have a speed limit of 10 mph for bikes on sidewalks, both of which I ignored when I lived there. Analysis?

Last edited by vtkarl; 07-14-12 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 08:52 PM
beebe
Probably Injured

Bikes: Kona Paddywagon, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The linked article was objective and well-written. Though the title does seem to imply that the article is going to be bashing cyclists, it instead offers a pretty accurate account of the situation. It turns out that some cyclists have bad habits, or worse, are downright inconsiderate of others. It's true that it is easy to forget that there are other vulnerable users out there that we should be aware of and be considerate towards.
Old 07-15-12, 08:36 PM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida is the WORST (no I don't have the statistics but I do have the experiences). I have ridden in Alabama (FUN), North Carolina (FUN) and California (busy but fun).

For some reason, from my experiences in FLORIDA people in cars and pedestrians see cyclists as competition. I have literally had to ride on the grass because some people refuse to move more to one side so we can pass cohesively. Stare downs, I see their teeth clenching as if to say, "I am NOT going to move!"

In Florida, sadly, it truly is safest to share the sidewalk (MY THOUGHTS). Many may disagree but the bike lanes are very narrow and drivers are constantly weaving in and out of the bike lanes usually with cell phone in hand. I have attempted the bike lanes and inevitably the cars simply come much too close. A friend was hit because the driver turned around to buckle in a toddler. Another friend hit in the bike lane because couple was arguing and fists started flying--car swerved.

My neighbor has been hit 5 times. Another neighbor was killed on his chopper motorcycle last year. Florida is dangerous. I love love love bicycling and commute most places within 10 miles. Would love to commute to my first career (24 miles) but ----it simply is not safe.

Two years ago, I was working at a neighborhood school. A quite vibrant kindergarten student was killed. She was riding on the sidewalk, a car was in the path so she maneuvered into the street and was mowed down by a speeding car. Her sisters, friends and classmates observed her flying up in the air and landing 60 feet on her head. She never recovered. The witnesses state she was singing while riding and had the biggest smile on her face. The guy stopped and was inconsolable--however he was speeding, blasting loud music----

My friends and fellow riders state it is only a matter of time before I am hit or killed. I can't stay off my bicycle. I really love riding but...in Florida my experience has been--

There appears to be this quite nasty aura of aggressive thinking--and a stereotype--bicyclists have DUIs, are crack addicts and/or prostitutes.

I note cyclists on average bicycles, Wal-Marts or old beaters are quite friendly. My experience: the road cycling crew have not been very ...nice.

Riding at night (midnight to be exact) is so relaxing. The weather is cool. I love it. Unfortunately, again--I know this is a generalization but as a native Floridian I have to state: people in this state have a very serious problem with minding their own business.

Riding alone is like having a sign on your forehead, "Yes! Please disturb my peace!"

You cannot walk alone--people consider you a threat. Riding alone--you must be looking for drugs. It is bizarre. I only stay because parental obligations and my careers. Otherwise, I would move to Montana, Oregon--somewhere remote.