Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Rage

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike Rage

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 08:23 AM
godeacs

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2FX, 2014 Domane 2.3C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
Hey, that's my line!

Seriously though, happened to me this morning. I was coming around a slight bend to the left. I cut the corner some because just up ahead near a stop sign are cars parked on the right. A Honda Fit came so close to me I could open his door by just reaching over . I yelled out "A little more room please!". The Fit driver was none too pleased. He pulls over to the side, and as I ride by he yells, "Why don't you ride where you belong, d***head!" My response was, "I am right where I belong, buddy!" and "Have a good day!" and smile and wave.

Really, you can't find room to pass a bike with a Honda Fit?

In another serious vein, what others have posted above is correct. I've been assaulted once and in another instance stalked from behind when I decided to argue with the drivers. You have to let it go, or be prepared for defending yourself from cagers who will never see it the way we do.

How rich - a Fit driver calling someone else a d***head!..... Only thing funnier would have been if he was driving a "Smart", or as I refer to them...a "Stupid"!
Old 07-20-12, 08:27 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
The passenger side window was down so I pulled up, pointed my Airzound directly into his car and let 'er rip. Then I simply pedaled away.

I really didn't feel good about losing my cool like that at the time. Now as I remember it it's kind of funny.
It's so wrong that it's awesome! I may re-install my AirZounds because of this.
Old 07-20-12, 08:30 AM
flipped4bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godeacs
How rich - a Fit driver calling someone else a d***head!..... Only thing funnier would have been if he was driving a "Smart", or as I refer to them...a "Stupid"!
What was hysterical is that I am so high up on my bike compared to that he's so low sitting in his Fit that calling me a d***head pretty much lost all its meaning.
Old 07-20-12, 08:41 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
No good comes from escalating a situation. I was riding in the Seattle to Portland Classic last week. A pickup was trying to get around the endless line of 10,000. Appearantly words were exchanged between a passenger and a rider left of me. The rider flipped off the truck as it accelerated fast away then the driver hit the brakes and laid 80 feet of rubber, stopped, reversed and at the point I'm thinking "blood will be shed cause there's a gun in that truck". For whatever reason, cooler heads prevailed. The rider didn't flip off the truck again and the driver stewed, then burned rubber out of there. Hundreds of potential witnesses likely made the difference.

Yet that incident was not as nearly dangerous as when the young kids got dangerously close to my training partner and tried pouring water on her head. All I got was a description of the truck because the tailgate blocked the license plate. Rear facing video may be the only way to capture an event to prosecute. All I can say is keep a cool head.
Old 07-20-12, 08:44 AM
PedalingFool

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by psy
people seem like they are willing to kill or maim me to save 5 seconds sometimes.
I just love how they look at you and put up their hand to wave at you as if to say "Hey, I see you coming but I'm just going to go ahead and cut you off so please be a sport about it."

I don't lose my temper very easy so I've never cussed at anyone loud enough where they could hear me. Usually doing it under my breath makes me feel better.
Old 07-20-12, 09:09 AM
ddez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if anyone has noticed but its getting worse out there in traffic. They dont just do this to cyclists. Im recently retired, but as a long time truck driver o/op (over 40 years) and observing,the things people do today even to semi's, they would not have done 20 years ago. Anything that gets in there way will make them crazy. Ive had them go half into the ditch at highway speed to try get around me and often when im turning onto a clover leaf to the right and cant even see them as i turn.
Imagine having to put up with that all day everyday 24/7. Getting upset. You lose. You get a knotted up gut and everything which goes with that,which if happening enough will cause some damage to your system. So you just learn to shake it off,its healthier for you.
Old 07-20-12, 09:22 AM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Rage

First, yeah, just let it go. Maybe you're like me and little things can trigger a potential outburst. So, I just take a deep breath, think of a happy thought and try to forget about what just happened. Maybe you'll be happier about not getting angry. I am when this happens to me.

Is this generally in the same location?
Old 07-20-12, 10:29 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Over my many years of riding I have "lost it" and chased down drivers, even had some punches thrown at me- i've never hit back- I'm good at blocking punches. But I'm not proud of those interactions. It really doesn't make the world a better place.

I still get buzzed, honked at and nearly clipped by cars at about the same rate as I always have but the verbal interactions have been greatly reduced over the years- I'd like to get them down to zero.

The last serious driver interaction I had I ended up calling the police. The guy almost sideswiped me with his van and I slapped the side of the van as he nearly took me down so he slammed on the brakes and came out at me screaming to not touch his vehicle! When he said if he ever saw me on that road again ( a route I frequently took to work) that he'd run me down I called the cops.

Unfortunately, there are some truly screwed up people in this world carrying a ton of anger just looking for an excuse to be violent. I'm sure there are bike riders who fall into that category as well as drivers but there are far more drivers and their vehicles can be used as a deadly weapon with ease.
Old 07-20-12, 11:05 AM
epic.legacy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've never had road rage in a car? How does that work? Seems like most people driving a car get road rage at some point. Then again, I guess the keyword there is most. For me, my bike rage is pretty much nonexistent, which is nice. Part of it is that I take quiet streets on my commute. I also keep in my mind what to expect so I don't blow a fuse. Just like most of you here, I've been close to getting hit many times, been honked at, sworn at, etc, but you kind of expect it, I guess, so you have to learn to shrug it off.

The only memorable bike rage I've had was a couple of years ago when I was biking home from my ex-girlfriend's house and I was coming up to a stop sign. I slow down to a track stand, look both ways and proceed to go, and I swear this car came out of nowhere! I was about to cross the intersection and this car coming from the right of the intersection just blows the stop sign!! Needless to say I got pissed because had I not seen the car and braked, it would've been really bad. I contemplated picking up a rock and chucking it at the car. Obviously I didn't, I'm not that type of person, but that's the only time I ever really remember being really angry at a driver.

Anyway, yeah, learn to let it go and/or find quiet streets; they're more fun anyway.
Old 07-20-12, 11:46 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
a guy who passed me on the right in the middle of an intersection while making a left
Same thing happened to me just yesterday on the way home. I veray easily could have caught the guy as we were now on a residential street but I figured, "What's the point?" I catch him, scream and yell, make a scene and piss off the driver. For what? Am I hurt? Will it change his driving style or educate him? Will it change how we are seen by the public as a whole? Nope? I let him make his right turn at the next stop sign and I calmly stopped behind him and waited my turn.

I did say a few things to him as the incident was happening but not in a yelling manner and more under my breathe. Kinda like, "Ya, sure buddy. I suppose you can go before me if you want to." or something to that effect but nothing with ill intentions. Would serve no purpose.

I'll find the video I have of the incident later tonight when I get home.

Last edited by ckaspar; 07-20-12 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 11:55 AM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you

Believe me, I have a hard time taking my own advice. But I've had enough rage-inducing encounters to conclude these things:
  • Somebody who does something outrageous in traffic is probably already stressed out and on edge. Bad time to push them.
  • It's easier to cool down after such an affront if you don't escalate it. I may be mad for a few seconds if someone does something stupid, but if I turn it into a shouting/gesturing match, I fume for a long time.
  • Learn from it. Chances are that if one motorist did something stupid at a certain spot, others will. Take a different approach there, or find a way around it.
  • Remind yourself at the start of each ride that you really enjoy it, and you're going to have fun. It may help you roll with the punches.
Old 07-20-12, 12:16 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean. It really gets on my nerves too, especially with the added obstacles of pot holes, bumps, cracks, thick car fumes and people. I used to commute 7 miles to work and another 7 miles back, until I realized the frustration it caused was probably doing a lot of damage to my body internally. Constantly stopping and going, constantly having to hold my breath to avoid inhaling diesel fumes, constantly being on edge. By the time I got to work I felt half-dead and smelled like it too. Now I take the bus. It's just too risky to commute by bike. Biking should be reserved for recreation.
Old 07-20-12, 12:25 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Biker
I know what you mean. It really gets on my nerves too, especially with the added obstacles of pot holes, bumps, cracks, thick car fumes and people. I used to commute 7 miles to work and another 7 miles back, until I realized the frustration it caused was probably doing a lot of damage to my body internally. Constantly stopping and going, constantly having to hold my breath to avoid inhaling diesel fumes, constantly being on edge. By the time I got to work I felt half-dead and smelled like it too. Now I take the bus. It's just too risky to commute by bike. Biking should be reserved for recreation.
You realize you are in the "Commuting" section of BF, right? I think most here would disagree with a lot of what you had to say. I for one feel refreshed when I get to work in the morning after my ride in.

Just sayin'

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Old 07-20-12, 12:34 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckaspar
You realize you are in the "Commuting" section of BF, right? I think most here would disagree with a lot of what you had to say. I for one feel refreshed when I get to work in the morning after my ride in.

Just sayin'

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
I'm just sharing my thoughts, that is all.
Old 07-20-12, 12:43 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just sharing my thoughts, that is all.
That might be, but making comments like "biking should be reserved for recreation" here in the Commuting forum and the "are you serious?" when it was pointed out that you should take the lane in that thread you started in the Hybrid forum does tend to cause a bit of discord...
Old 07-20-12, 12:44 PM
zaqwert6
New but not Noob

Bikes: Madone Litespeed Paramount Colnago

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It some point you just have to realize that its just not worth the effort.

If you get all twisted up over it for days then they really won. If you really want to get even, when someone is pissed at you for whatever reason , instead of reacting in similar form, I smile. Might even wave. That really pisses people off. Now they are going to be steaming about it for days and I'm the one who won.
Old 07-20-12, 12:48 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Locally I know a gal who does this as well. She'll chase Ioth motorists and cyclists down to "educate" them. So far (AFAIK) it hasn't resulted in anything happening to her. But I'm sure that there is going to come the day when something does.

Just stop (if it's safe to do so) take a drink of water and let it pass. Maybe contemplate how bad their life is that they're willing to endanger someone's life.

If it's really outrageous consider carrying a camera and report it to the police.

Originally Posted by psy
Ive been commuting by bike for about a month now ,and it seems a little more than once a week someone in a car does something incredibly stupid that endangers my safety.The problem I have is it doesnt seem to be because they dont see me...but because they see me as an annoyance,something in the way that shouldnt be there in the first place,so they disregard me and do whatever they want.

Anyway ,the reason for the post is today, for the second time ,i found myself peddling like a mad man and hoping for a red light to try and catch a guy who passed me on the right in the middle of an intersection while making a left.My intentions werent good.

Im sure some of you guys can relate...what do you do
??

Take a timeout?Count to ten?

Ive never had road rage in a car,but I feel vulnerable on the bike and people seem like they are willing to kill or maim me to save 5 seconds sometimes.

Glad to have this place to vent if nothing else.
Old 07-20-12, 12:48 PM
flipped4bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking should be reserved for recreation.
Not attacking you here, just the mindset that cagers have- this is why the guy I described said what he said- apparently bikes don't belong on the road. It isn't seen as a another way of transportation, only for recreation on an MUP. Scratch that, it's seen as a poor choice of transportation. After all, bikes only hold up the superior choice of transportation, cars.
Old 07-20-12, 01:35 PM
buzzman
----

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting response to the challenges of bike commuting but maybe not all tht rare for some people to feel this way. I'm curious where you're located where the riding was so intolerable for commuting.
Old 07-20-12, 03:02 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Nothing. You don't want the guy coming back and actually hitting you with his car.
Correction: "You don't want the guy coming back and actually hitting US with his car"
Old 07-20-12, 04:15 PM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Feetz
Correction: "You don't want the guy coming back and actually hitting US with his car"
Right?!?!
Old 07-20-12, 04:28 PM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't worry, OP, you'll get used to it. You'll be ignoring the minor ones soon enough.
One "incident" a week, you say? So about 4 incidents a month, that's actually not too bad, assuming they're mostly minor rages.
I think I have about one a month that I actually go home and tell someone about.
Old 07-20-12, 04:49 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Midnight Biker;14507377]I know what you mean. It really gets on my nerves too, especially with the added obstacles of pot holes, bumps, cracks, thick car fumes and people. I used to commute 7 miles to work and another 7 miles back, until I realized the frustration it caused was probably doing a lot of damage to my body internally. Constantly stopping and going, constantly having to hold my breath to avoid inhaling diesel fumes, constantly being on edge. By the time I got to work I felt half-dead and smelled like it too. Now I take the bus. It's just too risky to commute by bike. Biking should be reserved for recreation.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-20-12, 05:06 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The best thing you can do is spend some of the peaceful moments while riding your bike to figure ways that you can identify these potentially hazardous situations before they happen and adjust your actions to avoid the danger.

This is much more achievable if you ride the same route every day, e.g. a commuter, because you know the route after a while and get to know how best to avoid the risks. It's still achievable on a new ride to some degree just by using those experiences from your regular rides and applying them in new situations.

For me, I've learned the most important time to be cautious is that time when you are feeling totally awesome. That's when you may not be focused on what you're doing.
Old 07-20-12, 05:10 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Interesting response to the challenges of bike commuting but maybe not all tht rare for some people to feel this way. I'm curious where you're located where the riding was so intolerable for commuting.
My ride takes me from Chicago, through three suburbs located right on the border of Chicago. Trafficy as hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.