Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 12:28 PM
sprints

Bikes: 1987 Dave Scott Master Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little over three weeks ago, I crashed on a descent resulting in a dented top-tube. After waiting for the new bike to be shipped and parts to be transferred, I finally was able to run down to the shop and pick up my new build. I was bummed at first because I'm not a fan of the 2013 graphics, but now that I actually can see it in person, I'm hooked again.

Originally, I was riding the brushed aluminum frame with Thomson parts, but I switched out the saddle and pushed the seat back. The rails on the Arione are farther back than the Romin, so I needed a setback post, and since I was moving the seat back, I needed to bring the cockpit back. In the future, I'm hoping to upgrade with either the FSA K-Force post and OS-99 stem or the SL-K, but reverted to using the stock parts since they fit my needs. Either way, I think it looks good and thought the forum might appreciate it in its current form.

Last edited by sprints; 04-15-13 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 05:35 PM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no more fenders, so back to race mode

Old 04-15-13, 06:06 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp

Congratulations - it looks like you won!!!
Old 04-15-13, 07:25 PM
jdms mvp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Congratulations - it looks like you won!!!
wish i could say i did...
Old 04-15-13, 07:35 PM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That guy looks like he's just cruising along.
Old 04-15-13, 09:00 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sprints

How does it work with choosing a frame color? My buddy is wanting to get into cycling and we have talked about him looking into the cadd10 105. He likes the team color and this white and black the best. When looking online they show certain color themes lined up with certain groupo's. Online they show this white and black option with ultegra. Can he get this frame with a 105 group?
Old 04-15-13, 09:23 PM
PharmD
Formerly edwardmatt83

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up some dura-ace 9000 c24 wheels for a steal today online for the CAAD. Will post pics after I can officially mount them - have to wait for my birthday unfortunately - 2 more weeks!
Old 04-15-13, 09:32 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dang. Classy kit and bike. I'm loving the deep rimmed carbon wheels with just the red sticker. Those S-Works shoes make the bike pop too. Is that a Cannondale Quarq? What a glorious CAAD10.

Bianchi10: The CAAD10 is sold in specific colors for specific groupos. For example, the image you quoted is featured exclusively on the CAAD10 3, or Ultegra groupo model. Perhaps if you had a close enough connection with your LBS they'll swap out a groupo in favor of a color, but I'm not sure if that happens. It is also my understanding the frame color offered when just a frame is purchased is the non-team color 5 (105) option.
Old 04-15-13, 09:35 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that sucks balls! what do you do when you want a specific frame color but it was only sold with sram but you hate sram or visa versa with shimano!? I can ask my LBS and see what they say but that doesn't sound like it happens very often.
Old 04-15-13, 09:55 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All bike manufacturers are like that. Certain colors are only available with certain build kits. Not just Cannondale is like that. Check Specialized and Cervelo. For 2012...if you wanted a R3 in white...you had to get the Ultegra build.

I just ordered a Specialized Carve Pro...that build is only available in white. I would have liked the red/black frame that is available for the Comp model.
Old 04-15-13, 10:07 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Race bike.

Old 04-15-13, 10:13 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wish i could say i did...
Now it not only looks like you won but it look like you lapped that slow ass rider.
Old 04-15-13, 10:23 PM
iFold
caaddict

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo HiMod

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
How does it work with choosing a frame color? My buddy is wanting to get into cycling and we have talked about him looking into the cadd10 105. He likes the team color and this white and black the best. When looking online they show certain color themes lined up with certain groupo's. Online they show this white and black option with ultegra. Can he get this frame with a 105 group?

Hi! I think this is not available as frameset only. If you want this frame color, you should get the CAAD10 3 (Ultegra). I also prefer this color over the CAAD10 5 (105)'s but my budget limits it so I guess I could live with the black/raw scheme.
Old 04-15-13, 10:54 PM
numberSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IIRC, the frame set-only colors are the 10-3 Ultegra colors, this year. so white/black, or black/raw.
Old 04-16-13, 12:02 AM
iFold
caaddict

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo HiMod

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Really? Good for them, coz in Japan, the CAAD10 frame-set only colors are the 105 models

https://www.cannondale.co.jp/2013/bik...aad10-frameset
Old 04-16-13, 12:25 AM
KRhea

Bikes: Lots

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I finally sipped the koolaid and joined the "Cult"...My new frame finally arrived and the build will begin tomorrow.

Old 04-16-13, 04:08 AM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frameset looks grouse mate - similar black / green to mine, with the white highlights thrown in!

Enjoy it - I'm loving mine every time I ride it.

cheers
Old 04-16-13, 04:36 AM
jdms mvp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Now it not only looks like you won but it look like you lapped that slow ass rider.
Originally Posted by cvall91
That guy looks like he's just cruising along.
broseph on left, won the 3/4 race.

"The back of the race was soft-pedaled and i was well positioned. My teammate actually found me about half way and was able to get to the front layer of riders. Imagine just a road block of people in the front not riding hard but blocking the road. He was in the front, and i on his wheel. Going into the 2nd to last turn, which is downhill and fast, my teammate was p5 in a long line of riders. We hit the bottom of the hill (1K to go) and he was sitting p1, me p2. He was always looking over left and right for trains to come up fast, but it never happened..... he drove to about 550m to go, and i took up my sprint. This is a long way out, but i knew from recon this was about 1min power for me, and for the final 125m i'd finish the race seated. Full gas, max HR of 201 for this effort and a PB for power on the season. I was passed by richbobby's cx nemesis, john dove who came around me and looked stupid strong. He told me after the race that he jumped probably with 350m to go (after my jump, and i assumed got towed up a little further), and said didn't even realize i went early, so he had to keep it going to bring me back. In hindsight I should have used up my teammate a little deeper up the hill as he had more to give, but i was getting jumpy with nothing but free air in front."
then took one cool down lap, and lined up for the 4/5 race which was 15 minutes after ugh. Spent the first 5 laps on the absolute back of the pack. Last lap, was p3 behind eventual winner sitting p2. He stood to sprint, i tried to stand, legs instantly burned...sat down, tried to do a seater pursuit, and couldn't close the gap in time. /racerants

Originally Posted by THSdrummer
Dang. Classy kit and bike. I'm loving the deep rimmed carbon wheels with just the red sticker. Those S-Works shoes make the bike pop too. Is that a Cannondale Quarq? What a glorious CAAD10.
haha thanks mate , the quarq is just normal sram quarq, but i have stronglight ct2 rings on it. And wearing the all black shorts cuz they are more comfy than our team kit. I like the way my reynolds sdv66 look without stickers toO! they probably suck aerodynamically compared to all the new technology today, but the noises they make when i ride them make me feel* fast. That's important i think haha

Last edited by jdms mvp; 04-16-13 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 07:08 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KRhea
I finally sipped the koolaid and joined the "Cult"...My new frame finally arrived and the build will begin tomorrow.

What group will go on it?
Old 04-16-13, 07:20 AM
THSdrummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that sucks balls! what do you do when you want a specific frame color but it was only sold with sram but you hate sram or visa versa with shimano!? I can ask my LBS and see what they say but that doesn't sound like it happens very often.
It's not the best, but it is what it is, at least for now. Maybe in a few years we'll see freedom of changing parts between frames in shop. The Ultegra frame in question and the Force groupo frame (posted just above) are by far my favorites for 2013, but I couldn't get either one.

haha thanks mate , the quarq is just normal sram quarq, but i have stronglight ct2 rings on it. And wearing the all black shorts cuz they are more comfy than our team kit. I like the way my reynolds sdv66 look without stickers toO! they probably suck aerodynamically compared to all the new technology today, but the noises they make when i ride them make me feel* fast. That's important i think haha
Feel is pretty dang important, haha. So are looks, and that ride is clean and mean. Great race recap.
Old 04-16-13, 09:48 AM
KRhea

Bikes: Lots

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
What group will go on it?
Record w/FSA mid-compact(52-36), 50mm carbon wheels, Masterpiece post, FSA or Enve carbon bar/stem, Fizik saddle, Look peds
Old 04-16-13, 10:02 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I agree Nick, I ran into this issue. I wanted to get the CAAD10-4 because of the black and yellow (Steelers fan) but it only comes with Rival. Now I am waiting to see what the 2014 line up looks like before I pull the trigger.
Old 04-16-13, 04:13 PM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seymour1910
I agree Nick, I ran into this issue. I wanted to get the CAAD10-4 because of the black and yellow (Steelers fan) but it only comes with Rival. Now I am waiting to see what the 2014 line up looks like before I pull the trigger.
Does this have something to do with the "exclusivity" of having that frame color? In other words, it's a status symbol to have that color (because you paid more money). Just a thought.
Old 04-16-13, 06:38 PM
THSdrummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lineinthewater
Does this have something to do with the "exclusivity" of having that frame color? In other words, it's a status symbol to have that color (because you paid more money). Just a thought.
A good thought. I could see this relating to the upper level CAAD10s (in particular the Di2 version - similar paint scheme to the Black EVO).

It could also stand to mark those who bought the "cheap version". IMO, it's not very fair to sell only the 105 option as the only frameset. If it has to do with status, a buyer should at least be able to select up to the Ultegra version. I'd wager the buyer is probably going to put very nice components on it making the high status of the frame color worthwhile.

I've also heard Cannondale can only make so many CAAD10s each year. Perhaps they divide them into percentages with, say, 33% receiving the 105 color scheme which are sold as framesets and complete bikes. 27% of team color bikes would allow team colors on various levels, and also keep the remaining frame colors across 4 versions limited and thus more "valuable". These percentages are of course made up for the sake of the example.
Old 04-16-13, 09:09 PM
bug230

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe I may be the newest member, picked up this CAAD 10 on Friday. Love it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (92.0 KB, 152 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.