Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 03:47 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts

92 Stumpjumper Comp, one smooth ride
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 08-07-23, 05:47 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk

92 Stumpjumper Comp, one smooth ride
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS I LOVE the '92 Stumpy in pink! It is on my 'favorites' list and I couldn't turn one down if I saw one (w/ matching fork). KILLER bike, my friend!

There was one at a co-op I frequented several years ago, but alas, it didn't have the matching fork, so I passed it by. You have done that bike justice. Just awesome.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 08-07-23, 05:49 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by dualresponse

1990'mtb frame found in trashcan. I've put 1000's of miles on it over the last 25 years or so. Rusted, abused, hand me down parts. Time for a dolled up restomod! 26 inch to 700c conversion, moved the v-brakes, then redid it all and went hydraulic. This bike now identifies as disc brake. Lovin' it!
I have yet to do the canti stud move to my Trek 990, but it is going to happen, thank you for the inspiration. Trash bike couldn't have had a better custodian, just fantastic work.

Old 08-07-23, 07:48 PM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I have yet to do the canti stud move to my Trek 990, but it is going to happen, thank you for the inspiration. Trash bike couldn't have had a better custodian, just fantastic work.
Thanks. Moving the studs was easy. Heat one up till the brazing gets soft, pull it off with a pair of channel locks, decide how far you want to move it up, and use a piece of metal bar like I did using the original stud to hold the repositioned one in place. I didn't even have to order new studs- just cleaned and used originals. Once brazed, switch sides and use the newly repositioned stud as the holder to align the second stud. I feel a little silly, since I abandoned it and went disc, but, if there's one lesson from it, I wish I had of repositioned those canti studs years ago.
Go for it!!!!

West va this weekend :

Last edited by dualresponse; 08-07-23 at 08:01 PM.
Likes For dualresponse:
Old 08-07-23, 10:14 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder

I'm immensely enjoying riding my 1994 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo vintage MTB converted more towards urban cruising.

I'm finding these Continental Contact Urban tires to be a good smooth rolling, not terribly heavy tire with good flat resistance. They are reasonably priced also.

Pretty favorable review in the tires here:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance....-contact-urban

did something extremely close to this build on a super caliber. so comfortable to ride sitting straight up!
Old 08-07-23, 10:26 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
My 95 Univega Alpina 501
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 08-08-23, 07:56 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by dualresponse
Thanks. Moving the studs was easy. Heat one up till the brazing gets soft, pull it off with a pair of channel locks, decide how far you want to move it up, and use a piece of metal bar like I did using the original stud to hold the repositioned one in place. I didn't even have to order new studs- just cleaned and used originals. Once brazed, switch sides and use the newly repositioned stud as the holder to align the second stud. I feel a little silly, since I abandoned it and went disc, but, if there's one lesson from it, I wish I had of repositioned those canti studs years ago.
Go for it!!!!

West va this weekend :

Lovely. And thank you!

Old 08-26-23, 07:32 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
finally got around to swapping forks. the Soma I was using had really long a to c ie 425mm and my Serotta was built for a rs mag21 that was like 405 a to c but when I went rigid I could not find a fork with anything close and finally came across a vintage fork with 405 a to c. feels much better and even tho it is chrome does not look as goofy.

Old 08-27-23, 06:35 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
finally got around to swapping forks. the Soma I was using had really long a to c ie 425mm and my Serotta was built for a rs mag21 that was like 405 a to c but when I went rigid I could not find a fork with anything close and finally came across a vintage fork with 405 a to c. feels much better and even tho it is chrome does not look as goofy.

What a great looking bike!

I like chrome forks.

I once had a Serotta Atlanta road bike.
They made high quality frames for sure.

Enjoy.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-24-23, 01:59 PM
cooperryder

It's that time of the year with Halloween decorations popping up.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-24-23, 06:51 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
This is available locally for under $100. Thinking about making it a single speed winter commuter with swept back bars. Joining the club.

Old 09-25-23, 08:26 PM
Bluetrane2028

Bikes: Too many to list.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 12 Posts
I'm not sure I'd really call this a "conversion" as this is pretty much what a 1988 Schwinn Woodlands looked like right out of the catalog, just with a slighly different color to the paint and some decals (this bike was starting to rust pretty badly, I stepped in just in the nick of time).

Handlebar is a new Wald replacement in similar style to the stock one, may be a little higher than factory. Brakes are obviously newer, the rest is pretty much straight as it was, just cleaned up nicely. Tires are an urban somewhat BMX inspired tread, great for city paths and a touch of gravel.

It's a very good rider and extremely simple as it's just a 10 speed.
Likes For Bluetrane2028:
Old 09-25-23, 09:47 PM
gladhandbart

Bikes: 2018 Raleigh Tamland 2, 1984 Fuji Touring Series V, 1984 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1984 Miyata Terra Runner, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1981 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1992 Diamond Back Avail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hi, everyone, I’m new to this forum. After I get 10 posts, I will share my collection / fleet! Does anyone have certain bars they prefer? I’ve seen a number of VO and Soma bars in here, but there are so many options that it’s difficult to know where to start.
Likes For gladhandbart:
Old 09-25-23, 11:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by gladhandbart
Hi, everyone, I’m new to this forum. After I get 10 posts, I will share my collection / fleet! Does anyone have certain bars they prefer? I’ve seen a number of VO and Soma bars in here, but there are so many options that it’s difficult to know where to start.
Unless you get very lucky, you usually have to just bite the bullet and try a couple to see if they work for you and move on from there.

Keep in mind as you probably know with a fleet that bars are not just bars, many factors may or may not make them work but you have to start somewhere.
Old 09-26-23, 03:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Unless you get very lucky, you usually have to just bite the bullet and try a couple to see if they work for you and move on from there.

Keep in mind as you probably know with a fleet that bars are not just bars, many factors may or may not make them work but you have to start somewhere.
^ This.

About the best suggestion I can make is: attempt to get an estimate of where you feel hands should sit while riding, in the most-comfortable preferred riding position. Then measure the degree of sweep, the rise and width of bar that might result in that hand position. It'll at least allow you to focus on those bars with roughly similar characteristics, discarding the rest. At which point, it'll be trial-and-error. You might consider an adjustable angle stem, too, at least during the effort to find the right bar. It'll allow a given bar to work in a wider range of positions.

gladhandbart -- Here is a website that has links to a wide range of bar styles. It's a good place to check out the varieties. Lots of different amounts of rise, back sweep (angle), width.

https://www.modernbike.com/flat-and-riser-handlebars
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 09-27-23, 09:29 PM
gladhandbart

Bikes: 2018 Raleigh Tamland 2, 1984 Fuji Touring Series V, 1984 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1984 Miyata Terra Runner, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1981 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1992 Diamond Back Avail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice and the link! Most of my bikes have quill stems, so I’m not sure how simple it is to swap bars on those… I need to do more research.
Old 09-28-23, 06:12 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by gladhandbart
Thanks for the advice and the link! Most of my bikes have quill stems, so I’m not sure how simple it is to swap bars on those… I need to do more research.
it is easy, not like a road bar where you have the tape to deal with.
Old 09-28-23, 06:36 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Not a detailed pic, and not drive side either! But a good representation of what I fixed up our vintage MTBs for.

Bikes are a 1987 Schwinn Cimarron and a 1992 Bridgestone BB-1.
Bridgestone was a recent FB find. It got an overhaul, generic NR bars, upgrades to the seat post and to old DiaCompe brake levers, ergo grips, and the Brooks B67S from my wife’s Bob Jackson mixte. Also some alloy chainrings including a spiffy red 48t. Pedals are Deore M735 (?) a rough looking but smooth spinning bargain from eBay.
I think the BB-1 was 1992-only; I’ve seen it in the Bridgestone catalog, where Grant P stated that it was an upgrade from their previous CB (City Bike). Maybe the latter hadn't sold well; they had three versions which may have been too many for that market segment; Grant called the BB the 'Basic Bridgestone,' so nothing fancy but a solid base to build on. Wife wanted a step-through frame like her mixte, and this fit the bill perfectly, esp since it’s the larger of the step through frames offered at 19-1/2”.
I’ve had the Schwinn for a few years but didn’t do anything with it till just before this trip, and in my haste made some mistakes. It now has the crankset and wheels from a Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, since I didn’t like the original 175mm crank and Biopace rings, but the small chainring turns out not to be usable. I’ll be swapping something else in later; I barely got to this point before leaving on this trip. It’s sporting Suntour Superbe Pro pedals from the parts bin and a Brooks B17 Champion that I’m having trouble getting tensioned—it keeps squeaking.
Both bikes got Maxxis DTH tires; I got both sizes and thought my wife might like the 2.3s on her Bridgestone, but they wouldn’t fit. I like ‘em.

Location is Grand Island in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, a beautiful area. We did the 20+ mile loop around the island, and that was a bit much for these old bikes (and their even older motors), lots of crushed gravel but also some pretty steep and rutted paths, mud, thick sand, etc. And a few (swarms of) biting flies, even this late in the year, just for motivation when you’re not moving fast enough. All in all though, a great day out.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 10-14-23 at 01:44 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 09-28-23, 09:35 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
It now has the crankset and wheels from a Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, since I didn’t like the original 175mm crank and Biopace rings, but the small chainring turns out not to be usable.
Thanks for sharing the details of your upgrades and your ride. I’m wondering why you didn’t like the Biopace chainrings. I recently rebuilt a Crosscut that has those rings on it. I kept them because I was curious about them and they were original to the bike. So far I’m neutral on them. They seem to work fine but I can’t detect a difference as I ride. Was it just a baby with the bath water situation for you because you replaced the whole crankset?
Old 09-28-23, 06:58 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by daywood
Thanks for sharing the details of your upgrades and your ride. I’m wondering why you didn’t like the Biopace chainrings. I recently rebuilt a Crosscut that has those rings on it. I kept them because I was curious about them and they were original to the bike. So far I’m neutral on them. They seem to work fine but I can’t detect a difference as I ride. Was it just a baby with the bath water situation for you because you replaced the whole crankset?
You’ve got it, Biopace might be fine. I only rode the bike with the original cranks briefly, not enough for a fair test, but I formed the idea that something didn’t feel right, maybe the 175 crank length (I am 5’ 6” with short legs), maybe the Biopace. Or maybe I just wasn’t used to a MTB with 26” wheels and was being unfair.

I decided to do a quick overhaul on the Cimarron for this trip as the other two MTB projects (for me) I have were further from ready. I was maybe going to just go with the original crankset, but when I took the rings off to clean them I neglected to note how they are supposed to line up. So I thought I’d try the 165mm triple off my Univega Alpina project…no go, they’re for a different spindle and the small ring nearly hit the chainstay. Next choice was the 170 cranks off the Stumpjumper Sport, since they were freshly cleaned. Once I had that crankset on I figured the newly trued and cleaned up wheel set from the same bike should go with it. Something is not right though, maybe chain length, resulting in the small ring not being usable; fortunately I can wait till I’m home to figure that out.

I am just easing back into fiddling with bikes, and I am no expert, but I’m remembering how satisfying the whole problem solving process is. And having your wife tell you how much she loves the bike you fixed up for her is even more so.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 10-03-23, 05:04 PM
cooperryder

40 miles today on my 1990 Bridgestone CB0.

Check out this unusual 4 seater now serving as gate art. I saw it on today's ride

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 10-14-23, 01:03 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
After scrolling this entire thread, I am loving these setups! I'm currently building a '93 Trek Antelope 830 and wanted more of a "Cafe Cruiser", "Comfort" or "Dad Bike" instead of the traditional rigid MTB. I decided on a 1x9 drivetrain but still needed the perfect handlebars. Starting with some 620mm wide, 6 degree sweep, 30mm rise bars, they were just to straight and didn't seem right for the bike. Looking through the forum, this post by Smokinapankake really got me interested. The handlebars looked great and I liked that they were Bontrager, associated with Trek. I was surprised that the bars were only $20.99 and could be ordered through my LBS (no shipping!!!).

Yesterday, I got a call that my order had arrived and I was able to install them last night.

Specs are: Bontrager Satellite Trekking handlebars, 610mm wide, 25.4mm clamp, 50mm rise, 35 degree sweep, $20.99. Product link They also come in black.

While the build isn't complete, I'm really happy to see this integral piece installed. I will post the end product when the bike is done.

Original 620mm, 6 degree sweep, 30mm rise bars with 120mm stem

From the top, swapped to a 130mm stem. The bars bend slightly forward and then sweep back. The hand positioning is nearly the same but the sweep has more comfort.

50mm rise

Controls are complete using Bontrager Satellite Trekking handlebars, PNW Components Loam Seafoam Teal grips, Sunrace SLM96 R9 thumb shifter, Dia-Comp Power Control 7 brake levers and a black bell.
Likes For clarkbre:
Old 10-15-23, 09:38 AM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by clarkbre
I'm currently building a '93 Trek Antelope 830
That's a really nice build.

I've had 3 different Trek Antelope mtbs I've built up similarly.

They make great cafe cruiser /Urban bike builds.

Enjoy.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 10-15-23, 09:53 AM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by Chicago Al

I decided to do a quick overhaul on the Cimarron for this
The Schwinn Cimarrons are such cool bikes.

I've had a couple of them over the years and really liked them.

Both were 23" frames and were a bit tall for my likes so I moved them on.

Maybe 4 years back I bought a 22" 1988 Cimarron with really rough black paint and stripped the parts off.

It's been setting all this time waiting on me to decide what to do with it.

It is the model year they had the rear brake post braze ons under the chain stays which I don't like.

I was itching for a new bike project and finally got it together last week and and took the frame to a local powder coater.

I decided on a really different color... metallic yellow!
The original fork is all chrome so I'm leaving it chrome.
I love chrome.

I'll post pictures in a couple weeks when I get it built up.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 10-27-23, 06:43 PM
dphilips

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
Here's a rebuild from this summer. I wasn't sure if the threadless headset disqualified it from this thread; best I can tell it's a 2002 Marin Madrone Trail, 20" (seems like it was an overseas specific model that made its way back here). The brushed aluminum frame is what caught my attention when it popped up locally. Built as kind of an ATB rather than a super practical bike but I love the ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.