Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel around $2000

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel around $2000

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 06:41 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Steel around $2000

Yep, the title says it all.

I've got a couple of bikes in mind, and am wondering if anyone owns these and can chime in.

First up is the Jamis Quest Elite.

questelite

Pros: I've a Jamis Coda Sport from 2005 that is my commuter and I love it!; Ritchey components seem decent, don't they? (help a lifelong mountain biker out.... they are decent, aren't they?); Reynolds 631 tubing.

Cons: The sloped top tube, as I prefer a more vintage triangle. A minor quibble, though.

Next is the Raleigh Grand Vitesse.

https://www.raleighusa.com/grand-vitesse-1425

Pros: Top tube not quite as sloped as the Jamis; even better Reynolds tubing (853)!; Ultegra vs. 105, (another minor quibble).

Cons: the ugly black components!; how are ProMax brakes? I've not heard of them.

Both bikes are about the same weight (20 for the Jamis; 20.19 for the Raleigh). Both feel good in the cockpit.

Any others to check out in this price range? There is the Bianchi Vigorelli, but I've not ridden one. How are the Bianchi proprietary brakes (Repartee Corse)?

Again, if you've ridden either of these, let me know what you think. Even if you haven't, let me know what you think.

I'm more into endurance/comfort and am not a racer/competitor. Also, I doubt I'll feel the need to change out to wider tires, so clearance should not be an issue.

Thanks
Old 05-24-17, 07:14 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Have you looked at the Black Mountain Cycles Road? Love mine - 21lbs with Ultegra(cranks, derailleurs)/105(cassette,shifters)/Tektro(brakes) mix, Fulcrum 5 LG wheels and Ritchey/Fabric cockpit. Has a steel fork whereas the Jamis and Raleigh have carbon forks, that's why it comes in a little heavier. Has endurance geometry, takes up to 700x33 tires, and has a low and long wheelbase which makes it very stable on decents. Really fun bike.

PS built as above came in around ~$1500.

Last edited by MagicHour; 05-24-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 08:13 PM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Have you considered used? Opens up many options and it is easy to stay within your budget.
Old 05-24-17, 08:15 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Surly Cross Check. In Mule Mug, of course.

PS: If you're gonna do steel, then do steel and nix the carbon fork. I can't stand these kinds of equivocations.
Old 05-24-17, 08:27 PM
Dirt Farmer

Originally Posted by Scarbo
Surly Cross Check. In Mule Mug, of course.
I can't find the weight of one, but I assume it's gotta be, what, 25-27 pounds? Sadly, no Reynolds tubing. It's also much more CX than what I'm wanting.
Old 05-25-17, 06:19 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This is the thread you should be looking at.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...i-s-ergos.html
Old 05-25-17, 06:32 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 2015 Jamis Quest Comp (520 steel, carbon fork, Sora), and really like it. I use it for fast group rides with lots of hills. Also, I've recently discovered that it fits 30mm cross tires, so pretty versatile. Not sure if the Elite has the same clearance. I would have gotten the elite if money allowed, but I'm very happy with what I have...stands out from all the Carbon bikes.

I've grown to like the appearance of the slopes tube...I got a stem that basically matches that angle, which helps with line symmetry (a down flipped stem from the steered tube angle, but still angled slightly up from horizontal, like the top tube).

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1097135-new-wheel-day-2-bikes-one.html
Old 05-25-17, 06:44 AM
Dirt Farmer

Originally Posted by seypat
This is the thread you should be looking at.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...i-s-ergos.html
Yeah, I usually live in the C & V forum, and saw that thread. Very nice bikes, indeed! I already have a vintage Falcon, but am looking for a modern day bike.
Old 05-25-17, 06:44 AM
Dirt Farmer

Originally Posted by 12strings
I have a 2015 Jamis Quest Comp (520 steel, carbon fork, Sora), and really like it. I use it for fast group rides with lots of hills. Also, I've recently discovered that it fits 30mm cross tires, so pretty versatile. Not sure if the Elite has the same clearance. I would have gotten the elite if money allowed, but I'm very happy with what I have...stands out from all the Carbon bikes.

I've grown to like the appearance of the slopes tube...I got a stem that basically matches that angle, which helps with line symmetry (a down flipped stem from the steered tube angle, but still angled slightly up from horizontal, like the top tube).

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...bikes-one.html

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-25-17, 06:48 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
Yep, the title says it all.

I've got a couple of bikes in mind, and am wondering if anyone owns these and can chime in.

First up is the Jamis Quest Elite.

questelite

Pros: I've a Jamis Coda Sport from 2005 that is my commuter and I love it!; Ritchey components seem decent, don't they? (help a lifelong mountain biker out.... they are decent, aren't they?); Reynolds 631 tubing.

Cons: The sloped top tube, as I prefer a more vintage triangle. A minor quibble, though.

Next is the Raleigh Grand Vitesse.

https://www.raleighusa.com/grand-vitesse-1425

Pros: Top tube not quite as sloped as the Jamis; even better Reynolds tubing (853)!; Ultegra vs. 105, (another minor quibble).

Cons: the ugly black components!; how are ProMax brakes? I've not heard of them.

Both bikes are about the same weight (20 for the Jamis; 20.19 for the Raleigh). Both feel good in the cockpit.

Any others to check out in this price range? There is the Bianchi Vigorelli, but I've not ridden one. How are the Bianchi proprietary brakes (Repartee Corse)?

Again, if you've ridden either of these, let me know what you think. Even if you haven't, let me know what you think.

I'm more into endurance/comfort and am not a racer/competitor. Also, I doubt I'll feel the need to change out to wider tires, so clearance should not be an issue.

Thanks
ProMax primarily has done BMX components. They also sell some other cockpit-related components for road/MTB. Inexpensive stuff not worried about weight much, their bits can be sold blingy with nice looking anodize treatments. They're one of the few people that do blue-anodize stems/seatposts (hence how I know-I have a post and stem on my touring/unpavement rig).

Their stuff is sold on QBP.

https://www.promaxcomponents.com/

Can't comment on how good/bad their brakes are. Odds are, like their posts/stems, inexpensive and not remarkable in terms of weight.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 05-25-17 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 06:53 AM
Ajkollme

Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were buying one at that price point I would get the all city mr. pink. $2200 for a Columbus zona full build.

Mr. Pink | All-City Cycles
Old 05-25-17, 07:01 AM
Dirt Farmer

Originally Posted by Ajkollme
If I were buying one at that price point I would get the all city mr. pink. $2200 for a Columbus zona full build.

Mr. Pink | All-City Cycles
Yeah, those look nice. The only dealers near me only sell frames, and I don't want to build.
Old 05-25-17, 07:03 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Yeah, those look nice. The only dealers near me only sell frames, and I don't want to build.
All-City is a QBP branding. Any shop that sells QBP can (if they want) get them. Same as Foundry or Surly or Salsa.
Old 05-25-17, 07:36 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,008 Times in 516 Posts
I have a 2011 Quest, which was the only model back then. At 55, the "endurance" geometry works well for me. The only change I have made is a Brooks saddle. In 2011, there weren't many steel road bikes to chose from, but I have been very happy with it.
Old 05-25-17, 07:38 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I like my 2012 Jamis Quest. Solid comfortable ride.
Old 05-25-17, 08:05 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Did you see the Raleigh Carlton Ti? Although for $2k I would buy a vintage frame and build my own, this one looks pretty good.
Old 05-25-17, 09:27 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If you're willing to build you own, then you can open up your search to framesets. The Soma ES and Smoothie look nice. The ES has a little longer chain stays and wheelbase and is their century type frame. You could probably build one for less than $2000. They have the ES frameset for ~$467 online. Only drawback is that there is no try before you buy.

Edit: Some more I'd consider:

Holdsworth Competition
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/...ition-frameset
(only avail in 4 sizes, though)

Bob Jackson Audax
https://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product/audax-club/
https://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/pr...audax-end-end/

Gunnar Roadie
https://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/roadie/

Last edited by ptempel; 05-25-17 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 09:31 AM
Dirt Farmer

Originally Posted by kingston
Did you see the Raleigh Carlton Ti? Although for $2k I would buy a vintage frame and build my own, this one looks pretty good.

Whoa, I did not . Looks much nicer than the Grand Vitesse. Thanks!
Old 05-25-17, 09:36 AM
Dirt Farmer

Originally Posted by ptempel
Only drawback is that there is no try before you buy.

Yes, I must try before buying.
Old 05-25-17, 10:23 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, I must try before buying.
Yeah, that makes it tough to buy online only. You could also compare the geometry to what you do know about and/or like. Also, there must be folks here on BF that bought some of these framesets. Maybe they can give a mini review? I forget the thread where I saw the Bob Jackson mentioned...
Old 05-25-17, 10:36 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The Carlton is sort of a deliberately retro model with 531, steel fork, a 1" steerer and silver Potenza. If that's what you're looking for, it might make sense. It's a bike trying to strike a pose, though.

The Grand Vitesse is a more modern (and more practical) bike. However, the wheels, cockpit and calipers are all generics.

The Jamis is a very upright frame with a practical build. It's not as good a deal as the Grand Vitesse to me.

If you can stretch to a bit over $2K, I'd recommend building your own. I'd get a Ritchey Road Logic frame (or a nice vintage / used frame), an Ultegra group from Wiggle, good alloy components and a set of hand built wheels on Shimano hubs.

Lastly, if you're an experienced cyclist and you know what you want, I disagree that you need to try before you buy. The key is to know exactly what sizing you need. Short road tests are a bit meaningless.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-25-17 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 11:34 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The Carlton is sort of a deliberately retro model with 531, steel fork, a 1" steerer and silver Potenza. If that's what you're looking for, it might make sense. It's a bike trying to strike a pose, though.
Interesting that the spec sheet says Potenza and the picture shows Athena. Athena does a much better job at striking the retro pose than Potenza will.

…If you can stretch to a bit over $2K, I'd recommend building your own. I'd get a Ritchey Road Logic frame (or a nice vintage / used frame), an Ultegra group from Wiggle, good alloy components and a set of hand built wheels on Shimano hubs.
Please don’t put an ultegra crank on a vintage steel frame. I personally wouldn’t put one on a Road Logic either. You can still get silver Athena and silver Centaur comes out in September.

…Lastly, if you're an experienced cyclist and you know what you want, I disagree that you need to try before you buy. The key is to know exactly what sizing you need. Short road tests are a bit meaningless.
Completely agree
Old 05-25-17, 12:22 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Not sure what size you need but there's a dealer in Chicago that has a few 2016 Quest Elites for around $1200. Might be worth checking out if you go with a Quest.

Jamis Quest Elite (e11) - Kozy's Chicago Bike Shops | Chicago Bike Stores, Bicycles, Cycling, Bike Repair

Of course you may want to buy local and already have a good relationship with your LBS.
Old 05-25-17, 01:35 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since you are is WI, you can check out Gunnar. You can get a custom fit geometry made to measure steel frame. They are located in Waterford, WI. Same company as Waterford but cheaper.

With 105 groupo, you can probably build it up for around $2k.
Old 05-25-17, 01:41 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I've always been intrigued by this wabi.