Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Stronger Brooks B17 Tension Bolt?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 08:59 PM
redfishingboat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have spent a while searching this C/A forum, and I see many of you have great experiences with your Brooks B17 saddles. I, too, have had great experience with mine. It is very comfortable and a joy to ride -- at least for the few months after replacing the tension bolt. But, I just broke my 3rd Brooks tension bolt in 2 years and it's starting to get annoying. I run 320lbs -- and I have seen heavier folks rave about their Brooks. So, what gives? Are there rare titanium bolts out there that other people have that I don't? Only one LBS in my town even carries the bolts (according to the Brooks website, they are an authorized dealer) . The first time it broke, I replaced it myself, with hours of real struggle and fight. The second time, I just had the LBS do it. This time, I don't know what I am going to try.
Old 03-11-21, 11:42 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have never had a problem with the tension bolt on my brooks saddles. I have only had to tension them once or twice.
Old 03-12-21, 06:29 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
A Grade 8 bolt (available at any decent hardware store) should hold up just fine, but you will likely have to have your LBS tap new threads.
Old 03-12-21, 10:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I broke a bolt on a Pro. It looked like the threads were dry, and the bolt snapped when turned. I just put grease on the replacement bolt; I'll see how well that holds up.
Old 03-21-21, 05:40 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Putting oil on a leather saddle softens it, and then you have to tension the saddle. Unfortunately, it keeps softening.
I don’t oil my Brooks, which means no Proofide, I polish it with shoe polish. When it was new I sealed the underside with Sno-seal.
It’s 2+ years old with over 10k miles and fits like a glove and looks like new, except for the dents for my sit bones.
I did a century yesterday with no issues.

ETA: This is my second Brooks. I have not tensioned it yet. I learned the hard way.
To break in the saddle, put a warm, damp rag on it for 30 minutes before you ride. Repeat
until it fits, then start polishing

Last edited by Mmassey338; 03-21-21 at 05:51 AM.