Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Regular shorts with chamois?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 08:23 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts

Are there any non-spandex style shorts, that look like regular shorts with pockets, that have a chamois sewn in? Cycling shorts that have the benefits and comfort of cycling shorts but look like “normal” shorts?
Old 03-07-24, 08:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Yes, mountain bikers find these shorts popular. Not sure why.
Old 03-07-24, 08:25 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I have a pair of mountain bike shorts kind of like that. The padding isn't sewn in, but connects by snaps so the shorts can be worn without padding. And they have a zippered pocket so things don't fall out.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-07-24, 08:28 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I have a pair of mountain bike shorts kind of like that. The padding isn't sewn in, but connects by snaps so the shorts can be worn without padding. And they have a zippered pocket so things don't fall out.
I’ve got a pair like that and didn’t like the “free floating” feeling of the padding (it wasn’t chamois, so maybe that’s the difference).
Old 03-07-24, 08:30 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, mountain bikers find these shorts popular. Not sure why.
My road bike shorts are probably older than you are. Maybe because they look stupid and aren’t all that comfortable?
Old 03-07-24, 08:45 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I’ve got a pair like that and didn’t like the “free floating” feeling of the padding (it wasn’t chamois, so maybe that’s the difference).
Yes, mine are not chamois, but foam. However they don't seem to "free float". The liner fits as snuggly as my regular bike shorts and doesn't move about. I think I got them at Academy Sports and they are cheap enough that if you tried a pair and didn't like them, you wouldn't be out much.

Old 03-07-24, 08:46 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If you are serious about fit and comfort, purchase a nice pair of bib shorts and just wear a MTB nylon shell type short over it.
Old 03-07-24, 08:47 PM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
For rides 1-5 hours, I just use sorta-whatever sorta-normal shorts and a brooks saddle.

There are some fabrics that’re too stiff, but for the most part, any shorts will be fine. The leather pulls the excess sweat out.

over 5 hours, I prefer to use basketball shorts.
Old 03-07-24, 09:23 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Are there any non-spandex style shorts, that look like regular shorts with pockets, that have a chamois sewn in? Cycling shorts that have the benefits and comfort of cycling shorts but look like “normal” shorts?
If by chamois you mean the modern foam padding version, then yes. It can be hard to tell online how they are made however. I myself don't like the two separate shorts approach loosely connected - I want one elastic waistband, not two, and no fussing over how they go on. Another alternative is padded cycling underwear with regular shorts over them, but beware that few 'regular' shorts are cut well for cycling, so it's more trial and error.

Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Shor...dp/B09PM8F129/

There are thousands, of course.
Old 03-07-24, 09:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
My road bike shorts are probably older than you are. Maybe because they look stupid and aren’t all that comfortable?
Or maybe because it's time for a new pair. Just sayin'.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-07-24, 09:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or maybe because it's time for a new pair. Just sayin'.
This ^

Old bike shorts get stretched out and cause chafing. I learned to throw them out after a few years. New bib shorts of good quality is the only shorts I use now.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-07-24, 09:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
For rides 1-5 hours, I just use sorta-whatever sorta-normal shorts and a brooks saddle.

There are some fabrics that’re too stiff, but for the most part, any shorts will be fine. The leather pulls the excess sweat out.

over 5 hours, I prefer to use basketball shorts.
doesn't add to the OP's question, but cool to know your nuts lack the ability to chafe of feel pain.
5 hour ride in 'sorta whatever sorta normal shorts? Quick math guess puts me at like 85 miles of riding at that point. Good lord- that sounds terrible with 'sorta normal sorta whatever' shorts on.
...and basketball shorts don't sound better.

When I think 'what should I wear for tomorrow's century ride?' I have never landed on basketball shorts.

But I am impressed you do.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-07-24, 10:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I routinely wear regular shorts over my padded bike shorts. I like the pockets and the coverage. I do have to be selective in finding shorts with a high waist and wide gusset so I dont wear out the crotch too fast.

For me its a matter of sparing onlookers the disgust of GeaserDex...

Spandex on a geaser...
Old 03-07-24, 10:42 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve taken to using Andiamo! cycling liners under something else, which could be a normal-looking short but this time of year is often normal-looking sweatpants. They are sort of like modern cycling shorts but the fabric is thinner and not quite substantial enough to be worn on their own. Not quite what you asked for, but they could work to similar effect.

Otto
Old 03-07-24, 11:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
For me its a matter of sparing onlookers the disgust of GeaserDex...

Spandex on a geaser...
Don't worry, I am sure there are lots of people who look worse in yoga pants than you do in bike shorts.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-07-24, 11:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Amazon has a ton of styles: https://www.amazon.com/mens-mountain...in+bike+shorts

Old 03-07-24, 11:19 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
You can get briefs with a pad built in, and then wear these under whatever you want.

Here's an example,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still prefer bibs for all riding to eliminate loose fabric chaffing my legs. But sometime I do very low effort, casual rides with my wife or friends and will wear briefs like these under regular cargo shorts.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 03-07-24, 11:29 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
You can wear normal shorts over the cycling shorts if you want, that’s what I do if I wear cycling shorts.
Old 03-08-24, 05:41 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
https://www.squidbikes.com/products/chamois-work-shorts
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-08-24, 06:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
This ^

Old bike shorts get stretched out and cause chafing. I learned to throw them out after a few years. New bib shorts of good quality is the only shorts I use now.
The worst is when they get worn in the year and you can see butt crack.

I will freely admit that happened to me. It was the first day of Cycle Oregon, 2002. A woman was riding behind me. She tactfully said "Those shorts must be very old." I told her they were, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how she could know that. A couple of minutes later I got a sinking feeling in my heart. After I showered and changed, I stretched the shorts out with my hands. Into the trash they went.

Since then, I have done my civic duty by letting other cyclists know it's time for new shorts. They have always been appreciative.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-08-24, 07:59 AM
smd4

This ^

I wish mine would get stretched out. Then maybe they'd be more comfortable!

I don't really want to wear regular shorts over padded shorts. To me that defeats the purpose. Don't want the hassle of bibs. I don't want "padding," I want a good chamois, which to me isn't considered "padding" in a pair of shorts that I might otherwise wear to the mall. Maybe the Dickies with Chamois that @seypat linked to? That's pretty much what I had in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Last edited by smd4; 03-08-24 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 11:52 AM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
doesn't add to the OP's question, but cool to know your nuts lack the ability to chafe of feel pain.
5 hour ride in 'sorta whatever sorta normal shorts? Quick math guess puts me at like 85 miles of riding at that point. Good lord- that sounds terrible with 'sorta normal sorta whatever' shorts on.
...and basketball shorts don't sound better.

When I think 'what should I wear for tomorrow's century ride?' I have never landed on basketball shorts.

But I am impressed you do.
yeah, I get infinitely more chafing in tight shorts, especially if they have a bunch of stitching around the soft bits just to hold some hotspot generating padding inside, and I’m really not into the idea of putting a premptive cream all over to solve a problem that only exists when I wear some problem-causing tight shorts.

basketball shorts are pure “swish” and super airy on everything down there, they’re just not aero.

if you ride instead of sit on & tenderize-knead the skin between your sitbones and the saddle, you really don’t need padding
Old 03-08-24, 12:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
yeah, I get infinitely more chafing in tight shorts, especially if they have a bunch of stitching around the soft bits just to hold some hotspot generating padding inside...
Mmm, based on your description of cycling shorts with a pad, I am skeptical that you have ever worn, much less owned, a pair. What cycling shorts(tight with pad) have stitching around the soft bits? See below for a typical pad- the only stitching is around the perimeter, and that stitching isnt near your soft bits.
So instead of a pad with no stitching near your soft bits, you wear normal shorts that have multiple seams which join down at the crotch...and that stitching is fine?

if you ride instead of sit on & tenderize-knead the skin between your sitbones and the saddle, you really don’t need padding
Ah, I see- thank you for your expert analysis of what I and so many others have been doing wrong this whole time- we simply havent known how to properly ride. I will be sure to 'ride' instead of 'sit on & tenderize-knead the skin between your sitbones and the saddle'. Thatll fix everything- I will be sure to 'ride' moving forward.
Thanks.**

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-08-24, 02:02 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
The only time I wear normal shorts over my cycling shorts is when I'm meeting my sons (18 and 20) out in public for lunch or similar. I have grown weary of their snivelling. Otherwise I enjoy going cycling-commando for the comfort and convenience in hot, humid, sweaty Sydney. Having my junk on public display is a fringe benefit.
Old 03-08-24, 03:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
yeah, I get infinitely more chafing in tight shorts, especially if they have a bunch of stitching around the soft bits just to hold some hotspot generating padding inside, and I’m really not into the idea of putting a premptive cream all over to solve a problem that only exists when I wear some problem-causing tight shorts.

basketball shorts are pure “swish” and super airy on everything down there, they’re just not aero.

Despite having ridden in padded, lycra bicycle bibs for many thousands of miles, over multiple decades, on rides lasting less than an hour to more than 6 hours, I'm puzzled that I have had zero of the issues that you claim happen with that type of clothing. Why is that? Am I doing something different than the masses of other cyclists who wear the same type of clothing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.