Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why stem shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why stem shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 11:41 AM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why stem shifters?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I searched but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Why did lower end bikes come with stem shifters? I know that they are cheap, but why not just use clamp-on downtube shifters. With clamp-on DT shifters, there would be less cable housing, shorter cables, less braze-ons, and the price of the shifters would be about the same. Was it just marketing, to get people to buy higher-end bikes? Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old 01-11-10, 12:11 PM
rxda90
Sick Twisted Freak

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Twenty, 1968 AMF Hercules, 1970 Schwinn Varsity Sport, 1979 Schwinn Continental II, 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 2006 Jamis Coda Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that with the shifters on the stem, your average "occasional" cyclist wouldn't have to reach far from the handlebars to shift gears. Reaching low for downtube shifters, while probably not a problem for avid cyclists, was probably awkward for the "occasional" cyclist.

Originally Posted by big_heineken
Sorry if this has been discussed, I searched but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Why did lower end bikes come with stem shifters? I know that they are cheap, but why not just use clamp-on downtube shifters. With clamp-on DT shifters, there would be less cable housing, shorter cables, less braze-ons, and the price of the shifters would be about the same. Was it just marketing, to get people to buy higher-end bikes? Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old 01-11-10, 12:23 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
It was marketing. During the early 1970s bicycle boom many people were transitioning from upright handlebars to the trendier dropped bars. Stem shifters (and brake safety levers) allowed people to ride on top of the bars in a position similar to that offered by upright handlebars.

For a novice, the shifting process of a derailleur was quite complex, involving multiple new operations, Though it seems quite natural to us, it provides a lot of anxiety for newcomers. Eliminating the need to ride on the drops and bend down, to reach a gear shift lever simply made the transition easier and a bit safer, in that stem shifters still offered enough upwards peripheral vision to see the road ahead of you, even if you were looking at the shifters.

The Europeans, who grew up on derailleurs and dropped bars were late to catch onto the stem shifter option, which was originally found primarily on Japanese built models. It was another clever way to tailor the models to the American marketplace, to gain acceptance. I'm sure manufacturers would have preferred to offer down tube shifters, as they are slightly less expensive, but stem shifters clearly appealed to the buyers of entry level models, who were typically inexperienced with derailleurs.
Old 01-11-10, 12:32 PM
jish1969

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-15, 2013 Trek Stache 7, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3, 2018 Diamondback El Oso Dos, 197* Charles Roberts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 6 Posts
I think it was an answer for the "recreational rider", someone who wasnt going to spend a lot of time in the drops but wanted the racier geometry in their bike..IMO...
Old 01-11-10, 12:47 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Unfortunately, manufacturers seemed to have associated stem shifters with questionable components like "Turkey leg" brake levers. They seem to have been trying to cover a grey area between what people called "racing" type bikes and upright bikes. My first Peugeot (PH10S) came with stem shifters and I couldn't connect the drop bar function to those shifters at all and they were the first to go on the bike, in favor of Simplex clamp-on DT shifters. Stem shifters just seem to be less accesible when shifting from a drop bar because you end up trying to bend your arms akwardly to get leverage when you are on the hoods or the drops, whereas the DT shifters seem to fall naturally in hand from those positions. Stem shifters do work OK with upright bikes with non drop bars though, but I'd rather have shifters near the end of the bars instead on an upright for maximum control.
I guess brifters really made all these other shifting system truly old school and non-efficient in comparison........but why did they have to make them look like big warts on similarly ugly ergo handlebars of today???........yechhy!
JMOs!

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 01-11-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 02:59 PM
strop

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first bike had stem shifters and they were more convenient for a beginner than down tube, especially for people like me with your classic T-Rex build. No self respecting racer of the day would be seen dead with them though, DT said style and speed like no stem shifter could :-)

As much as I hate brifters too I finally gave in and bought a set of Ultegra SL shifters for my new bike. They are ugly but I really hate losing 30ft every corner or downhill on group rides and having to catch up again. My classic bike though still has DT shifters and aero levers on Cinelli bars and stem. That's the look, and always will be.
Old 01-11-10, 04:00 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Funny how the gap of several generations can be noticed with stem shifters...
I just finished a girl's 26x1 3/8" wheeled bike for my petite wife. Converted the drop bars, suicide levers, etc. to swept back bars, MTB levers, better brakes, and a nice Suntour friction stem shifter I had in the parts bin. Neither my wife nor my two stepsons knew what the contraption was mounted to the stem! I had to show them how to operate it. They thought it was unsafe to need to move their hands so far from the grips. All they knew of were MTB thumbies and trigger shifters.
I agree stem shifters got a bad rep back when we were 'young'. Image of uncool compared to DT shifters. But now, I see their utility. Especially with conversions to upright bars, leisure bikes, and very tall frames. I even found some NOS ratcheting models, plus a Suntour Accushift 6-spd version. I plan to use this one on a Cannondale MTB to touring bike with drop bars conversion. I am not afraid to admit to embracing them now. Brifters...now that's another story, too Fugly!
Old 01-11-10, 04:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I looked down at people who had stem shifters, since they came only on cheap bikes. But they're plenty practical. There's nothing wrong with them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-11-10, 05:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I'm building a bike for my 10 YO and am using stem shifters mostly because she has known nothing but indexed thumb or twist shifters. Partly because I could pick up stem mounted indexed cheaper than clamp on DT. It'll be her first drop bar bike and when, or if, she gets comfortable with shifting, I'll convert it to clamp on DT index units. that is if she takes to the drops, otherwise I'll be converting to upright bars.
Old 01-11-10, 05:38 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm building a bike for my 10 YO and am using stem shifters mostly because she has known nothing but indexed thumb or twist shifters. Partly because I could pick up stem mounted indexed cheaper than clamp on DT. It'll be her first drop bar bike and when, or if, she gets comfortable with shifting, I'll convert it to clamp on DT index units. that is if she takes to the drops, otherwise I'll be converting to upright bars.
Doing exactly the same thing with my kid's bike...
Old 01-11-10, 07:31 PM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Commuters love stem shifters.
Old 01-11-10, 10:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Stem shifters, turkey levers.
So you can talk on the cell phone while you ride.
Old 01-12-10, 07:35 AM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Convenience, without a doubt. Having the shift levers close to the safety brake levers gave the novice cyclists a better feeling of controlling the bike. Taking your hands off of the brake levers to reach down to the down tube shift levers could cause an unnevering sense to a novice cyclist. My ten year old son has a Trek mountain bike and loves that the brake levers and the grip shifters are right next to each other.
Old 01-12-10, 07:49 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I kept the stem shifters on a Raleigh mixte I have when I went to upright bars. IMO, unless you're in the drops, they're just as easy as thumb shifters...
Old 01-12-10, 08:09 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Schwinn searched for 30 years (late 30s to late 60s) to find a way to get adults back on bicycles in the USA. It was daunting, and hard to imagine today: they had to entice non-riders to begin the journey to being first riders and then enthusiasts - but, remember, their target market of nonriders also didn't have any rider friends to show them the way. Schwinn needed well built but still inexpensive bikes that were user-friendly but still sporty enough to be enjoyable to ride. By the mid-1960s they were selling around 100,000 models a year with a frame made from rolled sheet metal with a traditional Ashtabula crank and hung with a European "derailleur" drivetrain and caliper brakes. In the late 1960's Schwinn engineer Frank Brilando added to this platform novice friendly shifter and brake controls.

Three years later they were building a million and a half "ten speeds" a year and their dealers' showroom floors were bare.

Does convenient placement of the shifter seem like a trivial detail? Today, manufacturers can hardly give away a new road bike that doesn't have brifters (easily the most expensive component on the machine), so you tell me!

tcs

Last edited by tcs; 01-12-10 at 08:20 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 01-12-10, 09:44 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Interesting that nobody ever mentions top tube shifter mounts. My very first "10-speed" around 1970 had the shifters mounted on the top tube. It was a typical small frame department store brand bike with 26" wheels, clearly intended for a young boy as I was at the time. I think I eventually moved them to the downtube and rerouted the cables but it's all a bit fuzzy now.
Old 01-12-10, 10:20 AM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with those who say that stem shifters have no place on a drop-bar bike (although it's a loooong way down to the downtube shifters on my road bike), but on an upright-bar bike I think they're quite sensible. The seating position on a bike with north road-style bars (upright, and the grips are further back towards the seat) makes downtube shifters inconvenient, at least.

That said, convenience has its limits. I'd rather have downtube shifters than brifters (on a drop-bar bike) any day. Not because brifters are inconvenient -- they're not -- but because I've seen too many break.
Old 01-12-10, 11:50 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by oldroads
Commuters love stem shifters.
+1. The geometry of my Raleigh Marathon evolved to support my commting. This included putting on a more upright stem (although leaving the drop bars on) so that even when I'm in the drops I still have a pretty decent view of traffic. I sometimes ride ride in the drops, sometimes up top. The stem shifters are just where I want them.

Originally Posted by Saintly Loser
I agree with those who say that stem shifters have no place on a drop-bar bike
Meh. That's snobbery talking. I had a drop bar bike with DT shifters for over 20 years and shifting never felt natural to me, especially when I was in the drops.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-12-10, 12:25 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 2,613 Posts
Mmm, stem shifters!

Neal
Old 01-12-10, 12:30 PM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Meh. That's snobbery talking. I had a drop bar bike with DT shifters for over 20 years and shifting never felt natural to me, especially when I was in the drops.
Not snobbery at all -- I just can't imagine how that would be comfortable. Riding in the drops and reaching up to shift seems sort of unnatural to me.
Old 01-13-10, 08:47 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser
Not snobbery at all -- I just can't imagine how that would be comfortable. Riding in the drops and reaching up to shift seems sort of unnatural to me.
Let's just put it this way and leave it at that: Different strokes for different folks. In my case, I just can't imagine how that would be comfortable. Riding in the drops and reaching down to shift seems sort of unnatural to me.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-13-10, 10:22 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Mmm, stem shifters!

Neal
My Nishiki came with those shifters, and I was convinced I was going to hate them. As a 15 year old, they were not cool, at least to me. I wound up liking them, they worked well for the kind of transportation riding I was doing at that age.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 01-14-10, 06:05 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
I bought a used '86 Schwinn Passage full-blown touring bike that had been originally purchased new for a bicycle tour. The bike had been modified "downward" (going in reverse here) with stem shifters and add-on safety levers. "Back in the day" I looked on these things with same disdain I would have had for a 26" "balloon tire" cruiser turned into a "Stingray" with training wheels and streamers coming down from the hand grips (actually, this might be "cool"now...back then it would have gotten you beaten up by "ruffians" ). The shop that set it up, however, did a great job, and the safety levers (Shimano levers on Dia-Compe brakes) move very smoothly without "play" in them. I now find the safety levers and stem shifters to be "comfortably placed" for my purposes with this bike. Guess it depends on the bike and it's purpose in the stable...and this one's purpose is touring.
Old 01-14-10, 09:08 AM
akcapbikeforums

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have my 77 Nishiki International set up as a Townie... the stem shifters are fully appropriate for the way I use the bike:

Old 01-14-10, 10:55 AM
helicomatic
nice idea, poor execution

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another possible benefit for stem shifters on less expensive bikes was faster (cheaper..) factory installation, just sliding them on the stem already put together, cables and all. Clamp on or bolt on downtube shifters would take a little longer, but it adds up.

I don't know if that was ever a motivating factor in specifying stem shifters, but it certainly could have been.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.