Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Piriformis nerve pinch from cycling?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 05:46 PM
PIZZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone else get a sprained Piriformis muscle from biking? First sign for me is a pain in my calf. Its very annoying! I get this periodically and have to take a few days of riding for ice and stretching. Curious if anyone experiences the same thing and what saddles you might be using that helps
Old 04-19-12, 09:16 PM
Abe Froman
Sausage King

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Langster, Kilo WT, 1986 Dahon Classic Folder, 1986 Panasonic Mountain Cat

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This past September I was riding a lot (for me) then I began to have a pain in my ass. Left side gluteal. I stopped riding and the pain got worse and worse. I went to three doctors. First one said it was a strained gluteal, second one shrugged and agreed with the first, third one couldnt tell but said it wasnt a gluteal and sent me to physical therapy.

Physical therapist said I had a classic case of Piriformis syndrome. She also doubted it was caused by biking. Also thought I could also have had hamstring tendinitis or bursitis.

Basically, nobody knew for sure.

What I know for sure is I had intense pain in my left glute. Pain was really intense upon standing from either lying or sitting. The pain got progressively worse. At its peak i would gasp audibly upun standing and i avoided going out in public. I could barely walk and temporarily lost use of my left calf. Pain was so bad I missed a couple days work and on a few occasions I was nearly driven to tears by the most intense pain (ass, hamstring, calf and feet)I have felt in my life.

It started on September 23rd, by Christmas I resigned myself to just live with what was now a constant dull pain. I had not been riding a bike during this time because cycling aggravated my condition. I was able to lift weights, do eltical and PT.

January 2nd I started back riding. Today, April 19 I still have some very slight pain after rides. I'm only riding 2-3 times per week (maybe 75 miles total).

My saddle was and still is a brooks.

Piriformis Syndrome is a hard one to diagnose. Lots of other things can cause similar symptoms, including hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors and spinal problems.
Old 04-20-12, 05:16 AM
PIZZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me its caused by overuse of the muscle. I usually do the Piriformis stretch which helps a great deal along with icing. Getting off the addle frequently and not sitting in the same position for too long also helps a great deal. I was using an arrowhead San Marco saddle but find it doesnt provide enough flex.