Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Customization vs. Stock; Aesthetics and Rationality

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 05:04 AM
Toni91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

My name is Toni and I am brand new to BF. I have been riding fixed on and off for a couple of years now and finally decided to go at it fully this year. I recently purchased a 2012 Specialized Langster a couple of months ago from a LBS.

With that said, I've had doubts about the bike since the next day I bought it. I won't lie, it was a bit of an impulse buy. I wanted to leave the shops with a bike and pulled the trigger. I have a bit of buyer's remorse for several reasons: 1. I feel I could've spent the $800 on something else (obviously). And by that I mean, a different bike. 2. I know I didn't get the bike I wanted, in terms of style or looks. 3. Lack of customization and my own personal touch on the bike. My friends and family tell me the bike is cool and fine, the frame. But I can't help but think I'd be happier with even a fully custom Kilo. Right away I though about sanding it and matte blacking the thing or whitening it out with Celeste accents like a sei giorni, but everyone tells me that's absurd, and that the bike is fine.

So this is what this thread is about. The ever so delicate line between stock beauty and customized character. What's ok and classy vs. what's not cool and tacky.
Old 06-16-12, 05:48 AM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do what makes you happy. Some people may give you ****, but if it is a build that fits well and rides well, it's pretty ok. Just don't go dropping $3000 on an $800 bike. If you do that, you could've just gotten a custom job to begin with.
Old 06-16-12, 05:56 AM
markaitch
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
op...you & jvande7 should get together...
Old 06-16-12, 06:24 AM
bfloyd6969

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Langster is a great looking bike, but different strokes right. You don't like the finish, but do you like the ride? Adding the personal touches is one of the cool things about FG/SS rides. I'd say as long as it isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg, go for it. Or, if you just can't live with the color, see if you can take it back to the LBS for with a refund or store credit towards something they can order for you.
Old 06-16-12, 07:43 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Consider yourself lucky to have $800 to drop on a fixed gear in the first place. I'm building a steel frame single speed right now, most from parts I already own, and $65 for a SS kit, Surly cog, and chainring bolts(with shipping). I'm comiing in to just over $200 for everything, as most of the parts I got free, and the frame was a complete bike ebay purchase for $100 6 years ago. (1985 Schwinn Super Sport). Your call for customizing really. I often regret repainting a frame unless it was REALLY bad finish wise.,,,,BD
Old 06-16-12, 08:14 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Go ahead and paint it. You'll realize how much you liked the factory finish after you screw it up.
Old 06-16-12, 08:58 AM
sharmaji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride it more.
Old 06-16-12, 09:00 AM
TylerMatthews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
Go ahead and paint it. You'll realize how much you liked the factory finish after you screw it up.
What?
Old 06-16-12, 09:06 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Toni91
I though about sanding it and matte blacking the thing or whitening it out with Celeste accents like a sei giorni, .
Read it again, slower.

He doesnt like the look, he has buyers remorse. He thinks painting it will make it look better. 9 out of 10 times the rattlecan job will look like garbage. Then he'll have painters remorse instead of buyers remorse.
Old 06-16-12, 09:08 AM
TylerMatthews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your the slightest bit mechanically inclined, definitely take a stab at it. Small steps at first, keep things tasteful. I'll grab some photos of my brother's Cannondale Bad Boy we have played around with. He was in the same position, not exactly what he was looking for but the bike had certain qualities that were relevant to how he was riding. Deleting parts that were not really necessary, playing around with the aesthetics. The angle I always take is OEM+ whether it be a car, laptop, or cycle.

Edit: I've also noticed small changes on these bikes can definitely breathe new life into your ride.
Old 06-16-12, 09:14 AM
TylerMatthews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read it again, slower.

He doesnt like the look, he has buyers remorse. He thinks painting it will make it look better. 9 out of 10 times the rattlecan job will look like garbage. Then he'll have painters remorse instead of buyers remorse.

Haha, No need for the second look I hear you. You're just taking a super negative angle. Totally disagree with statistics, painting a cycle isn't terribly difficult with patience. It's probably one of the easier items to paint if you're new.
Old 06-16-12, 09:17 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
True, its morning and I need to go ride.
Old 06-16-12, 09:20 AM
TylerMatthews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, its morning and I need to go ride.
Good call. Ride safe dude.
Old 06-16-12, 10:13 AM
Toni91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmytango
Do what makes you happy. Some people may give you ****, but if it is a build that fits well and rides well, it's pretty ok. Just don't go dropping $3000 on an $800 bike. If you do that, you could've just gotten a custom job to begin with.

Definitely noted. I'm not looking to go over the top with colors or intricate stuff. A simple 2 or 3 matching color scheme.
Old 06-16-12, 10:49 AM
Abe Froman
Sausage King

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Langster, Kilo WT, 1986 Dahon Classic Folder, 1986 Panasonic Mountain Cat

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Langster and like it a lot. Upgraded the tires, seat, bars, gearing. Nice bike. Ridden thousands of miles.

I have a Kilo WT, I like this bike as well, probably ride it the most lately. Fat tires with a rack. Different than the Langster. Not "better", just different.

I just picked up an old Dahon folding bike. It's kind of rusty but it serves a purpose, been riding it a lot lately, looks really weird - like it a lot.

Got a couple old Panasonics. Old. Steel. 1980's. I Like these.

Ive got a few old Trek mountain bikes. One is a nasty green and purple. It's fun as heck, serves a purpose, like it.

All these bikes are different and I like them for different reasons.

You have to kind of accept it for what it is. If you're truly not happy with it, sell it, take it back, trade it. I don't think paint will change your mind about it.
Old 06-16-12, 11:07 AM
Thade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
small changes might make a big diff. is your the blk/white? black saddle, chainring & stem would be a whole new look...oh and maybe some white "ptotective" tape at the dropouts...

Last edited by Thade; 06-16-12 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 12:05 PM
FakeFuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerMatthews
Haha, No need for the second look I hear you. You're just taking a super negative angle. Totally disagree with statistics, painting a cycle isn't terribly difficult with patience. It's probably one of the easier items to paint if you're new.
If you have to get it painted get it powder coated, you will spend less on that then buying stripper sand paper and paint clear coat, also getting a nice looking finish on tubes all the way around will nOt be as easy as you think
Old 06-16-12, 03:30 PM
jvande7
Banned.

Bikes: 08 SE Lager (ENO 17t, All-City 44t, BrooksB17, Vittoria Randonneur 700x28)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markaitch
op...you & jvande7 should get together...
Hey I resent that! =^)
He bought an $800 bike and has buyers remorse.
I (on the other hand) bought a $500+ bike on sale for $399 and then over the course of 3 years slowly saved and upgraded the main things to suit my needs and desires (saddle, pedals, tires, freewheel, chainring, chain, stem).
So we both spent about $800 but the difference is I have a bunch of high end components on my bike and all I don't like is the color of the frame. It fits me well and suits my needs.
Old 06-16-12, 03:54 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Two of the worst things to paint in the world! Tubing, and an original Volkswagen Beetle. Trying to get even coverage on either without runs, is nightmarish at best.,,,,BD
Old 06-16-12, 04:00 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Langster

looks ok to me.

https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/r...gster/langster

msrp is only $720+tax
Old 06-16-12, 04:09 PM
jvande7
Banned.

Bikes: 08 SE Lager (ENO 17t, All-City 44t, BrooksB17, Vittoria Randonneur 700x28)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that's a nice looking bike man. I usually go for a more traditional look but I dig that.
You may just be getting used to it, so you think it needs something. What it needs is a bad@ss lock because in my neighborhood that thing would be stolen in a heartbeat. Nice bike.