Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 05:43 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
My first post.
Welcome!

46F /8C a light breeze, birds out, darkness...Spring.
Old 04-02-14, 06:45 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cooler (-6C/21F) than yesterday with a fairly strong wind resulting in a windchill of -15C/6F and part of the route was going downhill right into the wind so it felt even colder.

Stupid driver: just before the my side of the road splits from 2 lanes to 4 lanes (2 left turning, 2 straight through), I pulled over to the side of the road (see figure below) because of the volume of traffic, there was no way I could make it through to the left turning lanes. I hadn't signaled to pull left across the lanes to the left turning lanes, I was just planning on sitting there until I could hear the traffic noise decrease and then make my move. After a few seconds, I turned around to see a VW stopped behind me with its left signal on, blocking at least 5 cars behind it. I figured the driver had done something similar, waited too long to pull to the left turning lanes but after about 30 seconds, and more cars stopped behind it (I'm surprised that no one honked), the driver looked away from their sideview mirror to forward, saw that I had pulled over to the side, turned off the left signal and drove straight on past me (and waved a thank you). So, therefore, the driver was so afraid of driving past me while I was riding down the hill, that this person decided to change lanes and when that couldn't happen, stop and block traffic.

Drivers that lack confidence in their driving skills or knowledge of the width of their vehicle scare me more than those who know that there is sufficient room in the lane for the two of us and confidently drive past at their normal rate of speed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-04-02_083835.jpg (37.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-02-14, 07:24 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A week of real spring temps is over the south. Cool temps in the morning and warm in the afternoon. 75F on the way home yesterday. I know it is warming up too because the fair-weather motorcycle guys at the office are riding too.

Today was not the first day that it was warm enough to wear shorts on the way into work. However, I am hoping that yesterday morning was the last day I'll have to wear tights also. 51F when I left this morning with a forecast high of 84F this afternoon.

It has also become warm enough for the bugs to be out and about. I find them on my arms and feel them hit me in various places.
Old 04-02-14, 07:31 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Monday morning with the winter bike and a strong headwind: 1h32 to get to work. This morning with the summer bike and a little tailwind: 1h01 for the same ride. It's very god for my ego.
Old 04-02-14, 07:38 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
monday it was 34 degrees, Tuesday 44 degrees, and today it was 54 degrees on the ride in. I was pretty close to my normal times this time. I tried a different way and it was shorter than I had hoped. It was a good but tough climb.

Sure feels good riding in 3 days in a row so far!
Old 04-02-14, 07:50 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck

Meh, it happens.
Welcome, and you've coined the commuting experience for me! No ride today, staying home with a sick adult son who has some scary viral infection.
Old 04-02-14, 07:57 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
So yesterday was a real nice ride home, about average time for me of about 1:11 to go 15.5 miles. Not real fast but not real slow either.

Had a couple more interesting things happen on the way home, after the turkey talking in the morning. I was slogging it up the one hill that I hate because there's always traffic in both directions on the 2-lane road, but I was trying to control the lane as best as possible to keep cars from pulling stupid moves. As soon as I could see over the hill I could see it was clear, and then waved the car behind me to go on around. The woman in the passenger seat said "thank you" to which I gave them a wave.

Then a bit later on I was coming up another hill, no traffic behind me. But the car going the other direction thought it would be funny to honk the horn which startled me a bit. A-holes.

Thursday's forecast includes storms so I may not ride, not sure yet.
Old 04-02-14, 08:02 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Great ride in this morning, 50 Deg.F when I left the house. Must have been scattered showers last night since the roads were wet/dry/wet/dry all the way to work.

Got to the Metro station in time for the 5:51AM train, not too crowded on the Metro (shared the bike space with another rider, that guy on a Specialized) and an easy, no hassle ride from the Los Angeles station to work.

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-02-14, 08:20 AM
scottsmith

Bikes: Steve Bauer Sirocco "Steve", Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 Fatbike "Black Betty", Retrospec Amok-16 "Rocinante/Veronica"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike commute of this year, glad to get back to it!

Was overcast & -2C with a headwind but so happy I did it!

Cheers
Old 04-02-14, 02:28 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
35 degrees F., dark, but dry. Only one car in 9 miles, I'll happily take more rides like that.
Old 04-02-14, 05:19 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The weather is finally nice now but I can't commute yet because of projects out of town. My commute has changed again due to moving the office to another part of the city. It is much better for me and mostly all rural with a short distance in the city with minor traffic. It reduced the distance from 15.5 miles to about 10 miles one way. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 04-02-14, 05:27 PM
Halfgone

Bikes: 2007 LHT--made more awesome by my Wald Basket!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode in today. It was 21 degrees F in Billings and it was snowing. I've recently learned that commuting is just as much fun in the cold as it is in the heat (possibly more so, I can wear my work clothes without making a mess of them). I think my staff was a bit surprised, because I had snow stuck to me when I came in (and later found it down my jacket from the headwinds).

Tried a new route. Less MUP and more street. Decreased my distance by .15mi and decreased my time by 2min while increasing my avg mph by 3mph. All in all, a little bit more fun.
Old 04-02-14, 05:35 PM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Then a bit later on I was coming up another hill, no traffic behind me. But the car going the other direction thought it would be funny to honk the horn which startled me a bit. A-holes.
Or kids, as they pass you on your side of the road, yell some obscenity at the top of their voice.
Old 04-02-14, 10:41 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I took the Schwinn out for the first time in a couple weeks. On my to class I look down at the chain think my that's dirty I must remember to clean it. This evening I was on my way up to meet someone at Astor Place and felt my chain slip off my front derailleur. I was able to shift it back on but I must clean it. I ended the night by going across the Manhattan bridge at 11:30 with only a few other cyclists. I must try doing it at 1 am or so.
Old 04-03-14, 12:48 AM
dude72

Bikes: N+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
according to the SCR i earned 4 Points today. i really do enjoy passing roadies on my 33 lbs LHT :-)
Old 04-03-14, 05:01 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54F / 12C, more spring-like every day. Lots of runners back out....clueless runners in some cases.
Old 04-03-14, 05:15 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
It was a cool 24f degrees when I rode through town this morning, with lots of stars out. A quiet but nice ride to work!

Yesterday when leaving work, I found my back tire flat. One very nice co-worker gave me and my bike a ride to the bike shop. Where they fixed it and off I went on to ride my bike home. I was very happy to have a very helpful co-worker and, bike shop that was able to put me back to riding so quickly I was only forty minutes later than usual.
Old 04-03-14, 06:33 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride this morning here in Okeechobee, FL. About 61 degrees when I left the house at 7am, and headed up the road to my office at the Florida Forest Service. Light traffic, and a 1-2mph breeze from the SE were helpful too. This is my third bike commute of the week, and plan to ride tomorrow too, as long as the weather continues to be nice. After four days commuting, I'll need to ride about 20 miles on Saturday to get my 100 miles for the week, which is always my weekly goal.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 04-03-14, 06:48 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Another cool morning, -7C/19F with a wind chill of -13C/9F. Again, there are frozen puddles on the side of the road that I have to move into the lane to avoid. This also is pothole season which is another reason why I take a rather zig zag route along the roads.
Old 04-03-14, 06:55 AM
the_tool_man

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My firsts cycling commute of the year. It was 55 degrees F when I left the house in the pre-dawn. I'd just finished giving my Fuji a tune-up, so I expected to have issues. Ironically, all of the issues were with peripherals. My pump bracket broke when I tried to put the pump on the frame. My headlight apparently didn't charge overnight, for some reason. It blinked "low charge" the whole way in, but stayed on. My cadence sensor didn't synch with my Garmin, either. The bike performed fine, except that my new Brooks needs a bit of adjusting, as I kept sliding forward on it. The ride itself was great. No dogs. No rude drivers. No road-kill. Overall, a good morning.

Last edited by the_tool_man; 04-03-14 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-03-14, 06:56 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Good ride home last night. However, I have pushed my current tires too far.

One mile into my ride this morning and the rear tire went flat. I didn't hit anything, but the tire has worn a hole through the tread. Bad, I know. I had just aired them up before leaving too. It didn't go so flat that I couldn't ride - slowly - back home.

I suppose I will have to see what my LBS has in stock as I need something ASAP.
Old 04-03-14, 07:17 AM
redvette

Bikes: 2012 Trek Wahoo, Year ? Askar road bike, 1959 roadmaster middle weight, 1984 Nishiki Citisport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It so much nicer now that spring has sprung. A beautiful 73f w/ 15mph head wind. It sure beats the negative temps of January.
Old 04-03-14, 07:18 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride yesterday. Ended up going 20 miles instead of my normal 14 because of attending the local League of American Bicyclists meeting. After not riding very often the past couple of months, my legs are achy today.
Old 04-03-14, 07:22 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
It was a cool 24f degrees when I rode through town this morning, with lots of stars out. A quiet but nice ride to work!

Yesterday when leaving work, I found my back tire flat. One very nice co-worker gave me and my bike a ride to the bike shop. Where they fixed it and off I went on to ride my bike home. I was very happy to have a very helpful co-worker and, bike shop that was able to put me back to riding so quickly I was only forty minutes later than usual.
That's why I carry a spare tube. Changing a tube is very easy and much faster than trying to track down a small leak. It usually takes me about 15 minutes. Once I'm home, I patch up the other tube and it becomes my spare. It's definitely a skill worth learning!
Old 04-03-14, 07:30 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very very nice sunny morning. -2° celcius with a little crosswind.

I saw a large group of geese coming down on the Yamaska river. It's always nice to see this and the noise they make is incredible.

Have a nice week end everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.