Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track newbie needs help!

Old 10-23-17, 05:03 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by bartek.
According discs and some weird UCI regulations:

"...the valve access hole of disc wheels that may be covered provided that the cover used is supplied by the wheel manufacturer (and no other party)."
It's ridiculous
Haha so all these electrical tape calve covers I see are technically illegal. I must say I have most definitely never seen this rule enforced
Old 10-23-17, 05:09 PM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm curious if there is any other inspiration to make this rule than just $$$.
Old 10-23-17, 05:13 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Honestly, regardless of the brand I usually taped the drops and a 10cm section of the tops on the left hand side. Taping the "hoods" are new of me -- I usually gripped the hoods on my nittos without tape to change position but it was much to slippery on my Scattos.
Old 02-10-19, 05:47 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Do you guys use a longer stem for the Sphinx position? I currently use 110 mm stem but want to move up to 120 to make the position more comfortable for me. Would be a red herring buying a new stem to make this position more comfortable?
Old 02-10-19, 09:35 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AmahlAmahlAmahl
Do you guys use a longer stem for the Sphinx position? I currently use 110 mm stem but want to move up to 120 to make the position more comfortable for me. Would be a red herring buying a new stem to make this position more comfortable?
You have to be careful with stem length and Sphinx bars. Sphinx bars are "longer" than regular bars. A too long stem will have you outside of the permitted "box" for handlebars.
https://www.momnium.com/track-bike-s...hin-uci-rules/
Old 02-10-19, 10:19 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
You have to be careful with stem length and Sphinx bars. Sphinx bars are "longer" than regular bars. A too long stem will have you outside of the permitted "box" for handlebars.
No, I don't have Sphinx bars, just regular compact bars. I'm referring to the hand position.
Old 02-11-19, 07:34 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
We had our local open track carnival the weekend before last and saw a couple of riders issued warnings for riding in the sphinx position
Old 02-24-19, 01:20 AM
fastkad

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brawlo
We had our local open track carnival the weekend before last and saw a couple of riders issued warnings for riding in the sphinx position
My lower wrist/upper forearm always got brusied from riding the drops and hitting the Sphinx wings. 100% of time.

Always harlious when making up reasons where these bruises came from at cocktail parties though.
Old 02-24-19, 02:56 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Definitely depends on the commissaire. As some will strictly enforce that hands must be on the drops when racing unless in a Madison!
Old 08-02-19, 12:47 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A subject of this thread is not the best but content is very useful.
Has anyone tried the 3T Aeronova Ltd Carbon handlebars especially for sphinx position?

They look like a perfect dropbars for these purposes. And you don't have to tilt angle, just keep the "aero" position horizontal. Or maybe I am wrong?
The Ltd version should be stiff. I don't like carbon handlebars but the Scatto ARE stiff. Anyone with experience about them?
Old 08-03-19, 09:23 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
^I had the Aeronova's on my road bike for a while. Not bad bars, but they are road bars. They aren't terribly narrow (I think 40 is the minimum width) but for some people that's a non-issue. It really comes down to how their geometry works for you, they are plenty stiff for someone thinking about the Sphinx position and the flat tops (maybe + just a little skateboard tape) will help keep you stable (although in my experience working with folks trying to sphinx on the track, wrist flexibility/comfort is the primary issue if you're wanting to be secure / ride like Meyer)

I waited a longer amount of time than expected for my Dixie Flyer Hellyer bars, but honestly once I got them... it was worth it. They come in 39/36/33, have the aero top section and are a little more "trackie" shaped. (reach 80 vs. 104 and drop 120 vs. 127 no flare on the DF's)

A lot of that is going to depend on your position and what you like in a bar.
Old 10-18-19, 07:48 AM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Morelock
I waited a longer amount of time than expected for my Dixie Flyer Hellyer bars, but honestly once I got them... it was worth it. They come in 39/36/33, have the aero top section and are a little more "trackie" shaped. (reach 80 vs. 104 and drop 120 vs. 127 no flare on the DF's)

A lot of that is going to depend on your position and what you like in a bar.
How is the Hellyer after some month use? I'm very interested in this bars, thinking about 36mm as my main endurance handlebars (sphinx/sprinting including). I'm not sure but they look like there is no need to tilt them up and they should keep the aero top section with comfortable sphinx ride, am I right here? How is the flexibility after some more rides? I guess it's not 3T Scatto but...?
Old 10-18-19, 11:11 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
How is the Hellyer after some month use? I'm very interested in this bars, thinking about 36mm as my main endurance handlebars (sphinx/sprinting including). I'm not sure but they look like there is no need to tilt them up and they should keep the aero top section with comfortable sphinx ride, am I right here? How is the flexibility after some more rides? I guess it's not 3T Scatto but...?
Hey,
After a few months (and a crash they survived - better than I did ) they've been good.
Despite what I said above, I do sort of wish they had just a little more drop after riding them a while, but that's an individual thing. Stiffness is good, although I'm not the strongest / best to ask. For me, I've got a tough time getting in sphinx for any real amount of time without something "sticking out" (like the old sphinx bars had / brifter hoods) just because I've got ****ty wrist flexibility, but they are made with that in mind so if you're able to do it on other bars, these will be a step up in comfort.

Overall happy I waited it out. I think there might be a couple of things they could adjust and them be a little better, but as to something you can just purchase without someone like Len Lochmiller customizing them for you, these are about as good as it gets.
Old 11-14-19, 04:52 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply!

I'm still in line to purchase more endurance racing handlebars oriented (both sphinx and sprinting oriented). I did more research regarding stiffness on aero bars and own calculation based on current setup with the Scatto (35/72/128).
I have soon an appointment with my bike fitter and I need few handlebars to choose. Well, he is in charge to select the proper final dimensions but varies options are needed.
I looked also in aero-top section as favourable. I also keep the list only to narrow (<40 mm).

So this is what I got:

1) ZIPP SL-70 Aero 38/70/128 - https://www.zipp.com/bars/sl-70-aero/
2) Specialized Aerofly II 38/75/125 - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...ebars/p/157854
5) 3T Superergo 38/77(89)/119 - https://www.3t.bike/en/products/drop...rergo-559.html
4) Dixie Flyer Hellyer 36/80/120 - Hellyer Track Bar ? Dixie Flyer Bicycles
3) PRO Vibe Aero 38/80/130 - https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/...RO_HA_VIBEAERO

Images of the handlebars are under links. I didn't want to mess on the board more than this spam anyway As you see all of them are on different dimensions to have some options while fitting however, my question is if this would be good choices for the declared dimensions?

The 3T (3) has pretty nice shape for sphinx position however I am afraid it's too shallow or at least it looks weird. I like Zipp (1) as I use the SL-70 Ergo on my road bike (however it's alloy). Hellyer (4) looks like a good choice and is the narrowest one, I'm just not sure about reach as it's a bit longer (which probably is good for sphinx position) and the drop is almost as shallow as for the 3T!
I'm not that experience in gears to know exactly what shape would suit me the best. All I know is that I lack a good grip for sphinx position in my Scatto bars that I currently own. Other than that I love them and I'm considering to keep them for sprint oriented races even if I'm mainly doing it in lack of my favs ;-)

Any thoughts? It would be appreciated!
Old 11-14-19, 05:33 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i bought some and used them all this past year, and i like them well enough. i'd also say that they're slightly "jack of all trades, master of none." they're somewhat sphinxable but not designed around it; there's some wrist clearance but not as much as a scatto.
Old 12-11-19, 03:55 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply!

I'm still in line to purchase more endurance racing handlebars oriented (both sphinx and sprinting oriented). I did more research regarding stiffness on aero bars and own calculation based on current setup with the Scatto (35/72/128).
I have soon an appointment with my bike fitter and I need few handlebars to choose. Well, he is in charge to select the proper final dimensions but varies options are needed.
I looked also in aero-top section as favourable. I also keep the list only to narrow (<40 mm).

So this is what I got:

1) ZIPP SL-70 Aero 38/70/128 - https://www.zipp.com/bars/sl-70-aero/
2) Specialized Aerofly II 38/75/125 - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...ebars/p/157854
5) 3T Superergo 38/77(89)/119 - https://www.3t.bike/en/products/drop...rergo-559.html
4) Dixie Flyer Hellyer 36/80/120 - Hellyer Track Bar ? Dixie Flyer Bicycles
3) PRO Vibe Aero 38/80/130 - https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/...RO_HA_VIBEAERO

Images of the handlebars are under links. I didn't want to mess on the board more than this spam anyway As you see all of them are on different dimensions to have some options while fitting however, my question is if this would be good choices for the declared dimensions?

The 3T (3) has pretty nice shape for sphinx position however I am afraid it's too shallow or at least it looks weird. I like Zipp (1) as I use the SL-70 Ergo on my road bike (however it's alloy). Hellyer (4) looks like a good choice and is the narrowest one, I'm just not sure about reach as it's a bit longer (which probably is good for sphinx position) and the drop is almost as shallow as for the 3T!
I'm not that experience in gears to know exactly what shape would suit me the best. All I know is that I lack a good grip for sphinx position in my Scatto bars that I currently own. Other than that I love them and I'm considering to keep them for sprint oriented races even if I'm mainly doing it in lack of my favs ;-)

Any thoughts? It would be appreciated!
OK, I did a testing of all the handlebars listed above plus some more except of the Hellyer. I got plenty of information. Not sure if valuable to you but who knows ;-)
My favourite (from tested) bars due to sphinx position are: Specialized Aerofly II, Pro Vibe Carbon Aero, 3T Superergo Ltd, Zipp Service Course SL-80 Ergo. All of them are super comfortable however some of them put your hands a bit different but still good. Maybe a Zipp is a bit worse for resting on the top tube compared the others but keep in mind it's only alloy handlebar. This means a lot of cheaper.

The next group (nice but not like designed for) includes 3T Superergo Pro (alloy version of the Ltd from the first group) and only this.
The others that were simply not comfortable: Zipp Service Course SL-70, Zipp SL-70 Aero Carbon. I was hoping for the Aero version but math is math and 70 reach is no way for this kind of position.

So I got 4 super comfy handlebars to choose + Hellyer in a backup + a "cheap" version of 3T. The 3T Pro was dropped immediately. Comfort was worse and the handlebars only come in 42cm size.
What else I checked then?
General look: Spec Aerofly II
Stiffness: PRO Vibe Carbon Aero
Drops: 3T Superergo Ltd

Well, it's hard to talk about personal preferences, so lets skip the first point ;-) About second it was only checking "in-hands" and I would definitely say the PRO felt super stiff like Scatto to me. The others felt stiff but somehow not that stiff, however not flex. In my case however, everything came to drops shape. Drops in PRO has some design issues to me as bars change diameters in a place where I put my hands. No go for me unfortunately. Spec drops were not comfortable for me and as I checked I don't like this kind of shape much. This means the winner was 3T SuperErgo Ltd Stealth even if it's super ugly and I need to get a confidence of their stiffness. They were only one that I immediately locked in my hands in all race positions and felt super natural and comfy.
The only problem is that they are 38 cm. And as I currently use Scatto 35, I would live to keep my hands narrower. Hellyer are no go as they have exactly a shape of drops that I don't like. However, maybe someone can recommend narrow (36cm max) dropbars with quite long reach and drops in shape like on the Superergo? I guess compact shape with more classic diameters would fit perfectly to me.