Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Claud Butler "FW Evans Special" circa 1979

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 10:47 PM
jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Kia ora from the south end of the Pacific. Been a while between posts, but I thought this find is worthy of a brag post.
I learned to love London bikes when I spent a couple of winters there. It was the 80s. I was in my early 20s. Saw these for sale in FW Evans' store in Waterloo but couldn't afford one - not to mention the even pricier Evans tourer. Settled for a Raleigh Competition, which is still kicking around somewhere.
Fas forward 40 years and this CB popped up on trademe (the kiwi craiglist) the other day. Labeled as a Claud Butler "special", as far as I can tell it's a stock standard Majestic with a different name.

The bloke bought it new in 1980 from the Evans shop. Used it for a couple of brief tours and bit of dutch rambling then pretty much put it away. Brought it with him when he returned to NZ in the early 90s, I think it's been sitting in his garage ever since. A 90 minute drive to pick up. Drove it home, then rode it down the drive & back. Needs beaucoup adjustment but I can tell it's a smooth running beauty.
Totally original. Very patinaed. Looking forward to cleaning it up a bit between Xmas & New Year.
Likes For jeffieh:
Old 12-21-20, 10:49 PM
jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
And yes, that's not the original saddle in the pics, but he saved it (and the original bar end-plugs, & toeclips & straps) and gave them to me.
Of course it's getting a Brooks!
Old 12-21-20, 11:32 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

thanks very much for sharing this wonderful find

frame looks to be constructed with Prugnat 62/s lug set, Vagner DP fork crown and Campag ends set Sport 1010/1

did original owner have it assembled at the shop or was it already a complete machine when purchased?

shall look forward to following along as you work with it

IIRC members steve_d & francophile each have one of these in the same/similar colour and quite close in time to your example...

ah, har they blow matey -

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ves-lives.html

enjoy!

-----
Old 12-21-20, 11:55 PM
jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hey thanks for all your knowledge. Prugnats & a Vagner eh? I think he bought it off the shop floor. Evans used to stock CB bikes (yeah I can't imagine why either) & presumably chose the "Special" moniker to distinguish the, from CBs being sold through Holdsworth shops (?). Bit of a dog's breakfast in the 80s - steel was uncool as was cycle touring.

A bit of adjustment to do before it's rideable but I can already tell it's going to be like an armchair compared to my usual machines. Plans are to trip it of everything expect wheels & BB and build it up with 80s Deore/Mavic racers/short dutch stem & north roads/B17 & ride it from the English Channel to the Med when this damned pandemic has passed.

Thanks for the link to that other CB thread. MY bike's reg is 17281 which dates it only a few months after his bike was made.
Old 12-22-20, 12:10 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

have one F. W. Evans item -

it is a jumbo musette in burnt sienna with a bright blue silkscreen in block letters "F.W. Evans Racing Cycles"

almost looks like an overnight bag when compared with normal size musettes

may be a BeeKay product, do not have it handy at present to check

all best wishes for you with the new arrival

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-23-20, 10:16 PM
jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bit of a clean up today. Early days but this is how things are heading.
Likes For jeffieh:
Old 01-15-21, 11:53 PM
jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Another update. Now with late 80s Deore XT drivetrain, and 700c wheels (Sansin cartridge bearing hubs, Mavic MA40 rims). Relieved to discover there was plenty of room in the frame & forks for the 700c x 35m Schwalbe Marathons. The bike rolls SOOO sweetly, and is near as dammit to expedition-ready.

Likes For jeffieh: