Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wrap top to bottom or the reverse?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wrap top to bottom or the reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 08:46 AM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
right. i suppose i could've said "tall" vs long.
Nah, it's not height. The height is the maximum above the minimum insertion point. It is then the "length" of the quill.
Old 01-15-21, 08:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Before you roll your eyes, and type a heated response about my parentage give me a minute.

Cloth bar tape is top to bottom, modern is bottom to top for obvious reasons. Last night I ordered some Newbaums padded cloth bar tape which seems like it might me in-between, for those that have used the padded cloth do you wrap traditional or modern?
did not read responses, maybe a duplicate reply

As always = it depends. Top to bottom or opposite, depends on the bar end plugs. For Benotto tape/ribbon/vinyl with plugs over the bar, i will start at the bottom. Generally i start on the tops.
Old 01-15-21, 09:09 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
It doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of experience out there with the padded Newbaum's tape.

I'd take the edge thickness into account and go from there. It may work fine either way. For me, if the edges had a tendency to lay proud, I'd wrap bottom up.
Old 01-15-21, 09:30 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I am waiting for "rules for bar tape" or the "taping orthodoxy" posts to start.

Edit: I'm also wondering, if you do it "wrong" and it works just fine, is it still wrong?
You rebel suggesting that perhaps it’s a personal choice and not the 11th Commandment!!!!
Old 01-15-21, 11:12 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide
Nah, it's not height. The height is the maximum above the minimum insertion point. It is then the "length" of the quill.
sure...i know what the height is. i just misunderstood mooney's initial post when he said tech's weren't "long" enough. i thought he was referencing the height of them when someone made the remark of getting the bars up higher. make sense?
Likes For thook:
Old 01-15-21, 11:37 AM
mattk42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Yikes this is getting kinda feisty for a C&V thread. The topic, I suppose?

I have one of each style on my drop-barred bikes. Drop bar MTB has barcons, to avoid tucking, I wrapped bottom to top and finished with tape. On the Premis I recently got some pretty stiff perforated style Fizik tape and wrapped top to bottom, because I prefer the look of starting at the top and not having a finishing tape.

The main reason I hear for one approach over the other is because of tape rolling up with use, where your hand pushes against the edges of it. But, I think if you do the full cross-over-thingy behind the brakes, either top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top will lead to exposed tape edges that are curl-able. Just which wrapping you choose will determine whether it's curl-able on the tops or on the drops.
Old 01-15-21, 12:00 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
just plasti-grip the whole thing
Likes For thook:
Old 01-15-21, 01:27 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
I have a maxim I follow for questions like this, and it gives me a peaceful mind when they come up (as they so often do with respect to bicycle maintenance):

If the answer to a question is highly contentious, both solutions are correct
Likes For acm:
Old 01-15-21, 03:15 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
This Park Tool YouTube about bar wrapping is great! Many options suggested throughout. About halfway through there’s a neat idea about switching wrap directions at the brake posts that I particularly like, because it counters the loosening effects when riding in the drops and on the tops. Also a neat idea about coloring fat tape edges at the finish. The guy understands compunction to details!

FWIW, I’ve started using this self-fusing tape instead of electrical tape for the finish at the top - no creep or gummy residue! Black is available at Home Depot, located with the glues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-15-21, 03:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Here is the visual backup for bottom to top. No one disputes top to bottom with a good tuck and secure bar end cap. If you do = stick a Cork in it!

Benotto plastic bar ends, I always start at the bottom. No pic (with me) of finished job on DeRosa. Also don’t have a handy pic of the ‘botch job’ it took me to learn the lesson too late.

Grey end caps, over which will go vintage Benotto silver/grey padded ribbon tape. Bot to top.
Old 01-15-21, 03:55 PM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
The OP's question is specific to how the padded Newbaums works, especially in comparison to their regular cloth, because some wraps will lay cleaner when wrapped bottom up. This isn't a general question about wrapping preferences with various wraps.

OP: I mentioned this already a few posts up. But I use Newbaums regularly and gave padded a try. It appears to look best when wrapped bottom up, as opposed to their regular cloth wrap that is very easy to go top down (which is my preference).
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 01-15-21, 04:30 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
With Newbaum padded bar tape or normal bar tape..I'm asking about a specific bar tape not a generally what do you do, I wrap bottom to top with anything conceived post 1985 too but this isn't that in spirit.

I just did my Bertin with Newbaum's padded. Top to bottom worked fine for me.

20210106_145138 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 01-15-21, 05:12 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
🍿 I was taught top to bottom by a mech at my local Schwinn dealer, back in the early 70s. Every bike on the floor was wrapped that way, and it was a fairly large shop.
Of course all the bikes back then were wrapped with cloth, or the plastic stuff, but have found it pretty easy to do with modern padded tapes too. If you do it right, no issues with the modern tapes, or plastic stuff.
The cloth tapes will eventually fray at the edges, but I slide my hands across the bars in both directions, so it would eventually fray anyway.
Just never liked those little extra pieces of tape at the top of the bars.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 01-15-21, 06:03 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide
I've done both but usually bottom to top finished with twine. I've actually started top and bottom when doing a harlequin design with two colors top and bottom and solid around the brakes tucking (and taping) the ends under the hoods. May not last as long (I'm easy on the bars) but it looks cool.

Before the police chime in, I've since moved the brake housings behind the bars. (although I can't say it's better)

nicely done!
I was replacing the cables on one bike and figured that was a good time to do a harlequin wrap. Like your bike, it has bar end shifters, and I realized that it pretty much requires wrapping from top and bottom, and meeting in the middle at the levers.
I stopped the pattern a bit short of the levers, partly to avoid getting the tape too filthy, and because I couldn't get the Tressostar tape to behave in the bends.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-15-21, 06:31 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6

There was "discussion" way back.
I generally went top to hoods, then end to hoods, tails trapped by the hood. This was with Cinelli caps, the caps went on first, the tape on top of.
Never liked the Benotto style caps (same as Cinelli) on top.
With Mafac half hoods, top to end, stuff the tape in the end of the bar. then the plug, typically with the screw expander.
On a Carlsbad Masi, Hunt-Wilde press in plugs as original. (even though way back we switched out to Cinelli caps.)

if one terminates adjacent to the stem, the overlap has less chance of peeling over.
Way back, we changed out tape very often. One had to look "pro", like Eddy nothing like Fresh White Tape.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-15-21, 06:48 PM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts

Much better than what I accomplished!
Old 01-15-21, 07:42 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
One negative to wrapping Newbaum's padded top down, particularly if one is using a screw in type bar plug as I did. It won't fit. The solution I used was to remove the padding material for the last bit. I would think a cork might be easier.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 01-16-21, 10:30 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
One negative to wrapping Newbaum's padded top down, particularly if one is using a screw in type bar plug as I did. It won't fit. The solution I used was to remove the padding material for the last bit. I would think a cork might be easier.
I’m using a screw in plug..

Thanks!
Old 01-16-21, 10:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
🍿 I was taught top to bottom by a mech at my local Schwinn dealer, back in the early 70s. Every bike on the floor was wrapped that way, and it was a fairly large shop.
Of course all the bikes back then were wrapped with cloth, or the plastic stuff, but have found it pretty easy to do with modern padded tapes too. If you do it right, no issues with the modern tapes, or plastic stuff.
The cloth tapes will eventually fray at the edges, but I slide my hands across the bars in both directions, so it would eventually fray anyway.
Just never liked those little extra pieces of tape at the top of the bars.
Tim
I was taugh bottom to top by the mechs at the shop I worked in which BITD was a top 100 independent bike dealer. They were great mechanics but they were all long haired counter cultural types as well. Perhaps that explains why they went in the opposite flow . . .
Old 01-16-21, 12:05 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Cloth bar tape is top to bottom, modern is bottom to top for obvious reasons.
This premise is wrong. The first couple of times I wrapped cloth bar tape (in the late 1960s), I did it top to bottom because the plastic tape that came on my first 10-speed was that way. That resulted in the tape rolling over above the brake handles as a result of hand friction. The LBS guys (late 60s or early 70s) pointed out this problem and told me to always wrap cloth from bottom to top to avoid this problem. There is no "modern" vs "vintage" bar wrap direction.
Old 01-16-21, 12:08 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
The direction you wrap the tape in for a top to bottom job matters a lot, though it doesn't seem to get mentioned here.
Old 01-18-21, 07:57 PM
steve21108

Bikes: Dunelt 3 Spd (hub date 1964); 2 Raleigh (early 70s) Grand Prix converted to SA AW; 76 Raleigh Rampar converted to SA AW; Raleigh Super Course fixed; Raysport; 2003 Trek XO1; Jamis Aurora; Jamis Expat; Bianchi Posts (S3X); 1985 Ross Mt Hood; Univega;

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Cloth bar tape is top to bottom, modern is bottom to top for obvious reasons. Last night I ordered some Newbaums padded cloth bar tape which seems like it might me in-between, for those that have used the padded cloth do you wrap traditional or modern?
"What are you in for?"

"Wrapped my CF bars 70s Bike Boom style, top to bottom. All would have been OK, but I was busted at the trendy coffee shop by a couple of fully accesorized roadies. Also had dorknuts and caps on both wheels."
Old 01-18-21, 09:46 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
This premise is wrong. The first couple of times I wrapped cloth bar tape (in the late 1960s), I did it top to bottom because the plastic tape that came on my first 10-speed was that way. That resulted in the tape rolling over above the brake handles as a result of hand friction. The LBS guys (late 60s or early 70s) pointed out this problem and told me to always wrap cloth from bottom to top to avoid this problem. There is no "modern" vs "vintage" bar wrap direction.
Hey Dave, my experience mimics this. When I started riding a wrapped drop bars bike c.1975 I wrapped top down. A helpful mechanic at the lbs suggested bottom up to fix the tape edge rolling issue I was having, bottom up fixed the issue. I also never liked forcing the Velox plugs in to capture the tape ends if finishing at the bottoms, an inelegant fit.

I wrap padded tape same way, bottom up on my modern bikes. I finish the tops with color matched electrical tape, the first wind or two are stretched tight to hold, followed by a very low tension single wrap so it doesn’t have the tendency to relax and expose adhesive. I get the impression people think top down was the defacto standard back in the 70s, but not everywhere.
Old 01-19-21, 11:14 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
The direction you wrap the tape in for a top to bottom job matters a lot, though it doesn't seem to get mentioned here.
Finally and there is only one proper way to do this! Top to bottom or bottom to top, either works just fine depending on the situation. But wrap the bars backwards will cause the tape to loosen when in use. You don't want that to happen.
Old 01-19-21, 02:21 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Finally and there is only one proper way to do this! Top to bottom or bottom to top, either works just fine depending on the situation. But wrap the bars backwards will cause the tape to loosen when in use. You don't want that to happen.
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Perhaps one of you would be so kind as to describe the proper method? I know how I do it, and my bars don't come unwrapped, so maybe I am doing it right. But now I am curious.