Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting index of RD - does this look off? (photo)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 04:49 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts

Hello mechanics!

I understand the how the rear derailleur, Hi/Lo screw, barrel adjuster, and B screw are supposed to work and how to adjust them. I've also watched the Park Tools and Art's Cyclery videos re: this several times.

Here's my situation:

I put the chain on the large chainring and the small cog. Then I make sure that there is no tension on the shift cable. After that I adjust the Hi screw so that the chain rides properly on the small cog. Next, I take up tension using the barrel adjuster (counter-clockwise) until the chain starts to lightly hit the second smallest cog - then I back the barrel off (clockwise) until the chain once again just rides properly on the smallest cog. Everything works up to this point.

Next, I shift up one gear to the second smallest cog, third smallest, etc - and use the barrel each time to adjust as nec.

The problem is that I can get the four smallest cogs to shift well as a group - and I can get the 6 largest cogs to shift well as a group, but I can't run through all 10 without significant issues. It appears that the adjustments in one group mess-up the shifting in the other and vice-versa.

I'm running Dura Ace 7900 DT shifters with a Shimano 105 RD and a Nashbar 10 speed cassette (11-32).

I took the photos shown below. It looks to me that the derailleur cage is skewed noticeably when the chain is on the smaller cog.

Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by jlaw; 08-31-18 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 04:55 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 473 Posts
Can't really tell anything from the pictures, but I always make sure to have some tension in the small cog. Usually I'll back the high limit out, and make sure the shift cable isn't slack. I'll set the barrel adjuster in the middle. Then I'll adjust the high screw in till it starts to make noise, then back it out. There should still be tension on the cable.

Shimano recommends you fine tune indexing between the second highest cog and third highest cog with the barrel adjuster.
Old 04-16-18, 05:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,007 Times in 1,933 Posts
Adjust the barrel first and then turn the h L limit screws.
Old 04-16-18, 06:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
It does appear that the tension pulley end of the cage is skewed outward a bit. One giveaway of a bent derailleur hanger is indexing that works better in one chainring versus another.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-17-18, 05:18 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It does appear that the tension pulley end of the cage is skewed outward a bit. One giveaway of a bent derailleur hanger is indexing that works better in one chainring versus another.
I've decided that I've spent enough time frustrating myself with this. I think you may be correct so I'm going to take it to my LBS to have them check the alignment of the RD. Thanks.
Old 04-17-18, 06:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,232 Times in 2,374 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Hello mechanics!

I understand the how the rear derailleur, Hi/Lo screw, barrel adjuster, and B screw are supposed to work and how to adjust them. I've also watched the Park Tools and Art's Cyclery videos re: this several times.

Here's my situation:

I put the chain on the large chainring and the small cog. Then I make sure that there is no tension on the shift cable. After that I adjust the Hi screw so that the chain rides properly on the small cog. Next, I take up tension using the barrel adjuster (counter-clockwise) until the chain starts to lightly hit the second smallest cog - then I back the barrel off (clockwise) until the chain once again just rides properly on the smallest cog. Everything works up to this point.

Next, I shift up one gear to the second smallest cog, third smallest, etc - and use the barrel each time to adjust as nec.

The problem is that I can get the four smallest cogs to shift well as a group - and I can get the 6 largest cogs to shift well as a group, but I can't run through all 10 without significant issues. It appears that the adjustments in one group mess-up the shifting in the other and vice-versa.

I'm running Dura Ace 7900 DT shifters with a Shimano 105 RD and a Nashbar 10 speed cassette (11-32).

I took the photos shown below. It looks to me that the derailleur cage is skewed noticeably when the chain is on the smaller cog.

Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks.
Your problem has nothing to do with anything on the derailer. Your hanger is bent...twisted, actually. It's very easy to see the problem from your photos. No amount of fiddling with limit screws or barrels is going to fix it. You need to carefully bend it back in alignment. If you have a derailer alignment gauge, it takes about 5 minutes but that's not a tool that the common home mechanic has. Take it to a shop.

By the way, I see 3 to 10 of these a month at my local co-op. It's the second thing I check when someone comes in complaining of poor shifting. I had to do 3 of them last Saturday alone.

On another note: Kudos for the good pictures. All too often people take pictures from weird angles and/or out of focus. Your's clearly show the problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-17-18, 07:59 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
On another note: Kudos for the good pictures. All too often people take pictures from weird angles and/or out of focus. Your's clearly show the problem.
Yes, clear, well-focused and well-lighted photos, taken at sensible angles, can go a long way towards helping us help the OPs.
Old 04-17-18, 08:43 AM
toddbiker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Straighten/Align Bent Derailleur Hanger Without Special Tool

Old 04-17-18, 10:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
There is no need to adjust index on every sprocket.

Adjust it on one sprocket in the middle of the cassette and it should be good for all sprockets.

If it is adjusted properly on one sprocket but doesn't index properly on another then something else is wrong.

-Tim-
Old 04-17-18, 06:32 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
There is no need to adjust index on every sprocket.

Adjust it on one sprocket in the middle of the cassette and it should be good for all sprockets.

If it is adjusted properly on one sprocket but doesn't index properly on another then something else is wrong.

-Tim-
Shimano procedure is to index on the 3-2 shift (1 being the largest cog). When you push on the shift lever you should hear the chain clicking but not actually shift until the shifter actually clicks.
Old 04-17-18, 08:11 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Um, the Dura Ace shifters only play nice with other Dura Ace parts. They are slightly different pull ratios and spacings.
Old 04-17-18, 09:54 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,606 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Vefer
Um, the Dura Ace shifters only play nice with other Dura Ace parts. They are slightly different pull ratios and spacings.
Nope. DA 9 and 10 speed work with all other Shimano road 9 and 10. You're thinking of 7400.
Old 04-18-18, 02:13 PM
jlaw

Resolved!

I took the bike to my LBS today and the mechanic found two issues.

1) The RD that I installed was an 11 speed RD - which I knew - but I thought the RD was simply a dumb, spring-loaded mechanism that will pull the amount of cable that the 10 speed shifter tells it to. According to the mechanic the geometry of an 11 speed RD makes it specific to 11 speed cassettes. So, he popped on a 10 speed RD and was able to adjust the index successfully.

2) The RD hanger was misaligned (horizontally) by about 1.5 inches when the alignment tool measurements from 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock were compared. The 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock meaurements were pretty close. The horizontal misalignment may have been partly due to me putting a new 130mm hub into a 126mm rear spacing - but the hanger was also tweaked a little besides. I held the bike and he horsed the alignment tool a bit and got it close to equal.

Conclusion - the bike now shifts flawlessly! It clunks down through the gears like a Harley I once had.

Thanks for the help and RIDE ON!
Old 04-18-18, 04:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Always good to hear the rest of the story!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-19-18, 04:56 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by toddbiker
Straighten/Align Bent Derailleur Hanger Without Special Tool
I did this with my last steel frame build, works like a charm.
I cold set the stays, paralleled the dropouts, and used a spare wheel to align the hanger. Shifting is so smooth.
Old 04-19-18, 10:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No doubt the rear dropout or RD is bent.