Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Flat pedals vs Clipless?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Flat pedals vs Clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 02:06 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flat pedals vs Clipless?

Drit Rag, issue 163, page 74.

....and a tip for all you manly men who want to get your girlfriend into mountain biking....taking someone out for their first time and making them clip in isn't cool, and only makes them hate cycling.
Old 05-06-12, 04:28 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some idiot did that to his gal? That should at the very least clue her in as to what to expect from him in the future.

Fail.
Old 05-06-12, 04:38 PM
pablosnazzy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenhill3
Some idiot did that to his gal? ...
more often than you would expect.
Old 05-06-12, 04:59 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it may be somewhat of an inherent trait in men.

I took my gal out on what I thought she could manage, with flat pedals, hard dirt with the occasional stick or rock. Mistake.

Prolly should have been on a gravel road or even a MUP. He-who-shall-not-be-named used the term 'baby-jogger trails'.
Old 05-07-12, 09:15 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Probably a good first ride with a lady friend would include stops at Stabucks and Nordstroms if possible. A Macy's or Dillards might be a good substitute. Once they master that hide a Tiffany's box on a trail and magically find it. Even if the box is empty she will want to ride that section.

And WOW, I'm glad I didn't start with clipless. Why would anyone start anybody you care about on a pair of wrist busters.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-07-12, 09:49 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When my wife and I were dating, I took her for a trail ride on the back of my dirt bike - - a high-strung little 125cc race bike - - first hill we got to I dumped her right off the back . . . oops . Somehow despite that, she married me anyway (don't think we ever went dirt bike riding again tho').
Old 05-07-12, 09:58 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If she's never mountain biked before, she probably hasn't been on a bike since she was 8. What you think is manageable and what she thinks is manageable are two different things. The first ride I went on, my friends thought was an "easy" trail. I got my butt kicked. In less than a month, I was able to recognize that it was, indeed, an easy trail, but you never would have been able to convince me of that the first ride out. If it's her first ride ever, take her on something so ridiculously easy that you're bored thinking about it, unless you think she's the kind of person who is okay with getting her butt kicked, in which case, take her on something ridiculously easy, but not so much that you're bored.

My friends had me on clipless by maybe my third ride out. Before that, I was using those cruddy rectangular pedals + running shoes, so it was a big improvement. I was riding for a while before I "discovered" platforms. Now, every time I ride with new people, I get asked when I'm going to "upgrade" to clipless. So if a girl is running crap pedals with crap shoes, then sure, encourage her to go clipless (though not the first ride)...or better yet, bring along an extra set of nice platforms and let her borrow them. If she's wearing Impacts and her pedals have replaceable pins, she probably is happy with platforms.
Old 05-07-12, 11:03 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Once they master that hide a Tiffany's box on a trail and magically find it.
And this is why Daspyder is married...he took his girl on Tiffany's scavenger hunts.
Old 05-07-12, 11:28 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't really matter, though, because I read on the internet that clipless are a thing of the past.
Old 05-07-12, 12:50 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
WERD! Like the 26ers and gripshifters.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-07-12, 01:56 PM
falconpunch79
Kaaa..boom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
. What you think is manageable and what she thinks is manageable are two different things
No kidding, a buddy of mine took me out to some trails that he called "easy". Having not been on a bike in two years it totally kicked my butt. I actually threw up. Never done that before in my life. I think its karma getting back at me for all the friends I used to torture back when I was in shape and riding hundreds of miles a week.
Old 05-07-12, 02:46 PM
pablosnazzy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dminor
When my wife and I were dating, I took her for a trail ride on the back of my dirt bike - - a high-strung little 125cc race bike - - first hill we got to I dumped her right off the back . . . oops . Somehow despite that, she married me anyway (don't think we ever went dirt bike riding again tho').
if her name is Ruth, then you can tell people you dumped her, and rode on, Ruthlessly....
Old 05-07-12, 03:12 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
. . . Ruthlessly....
That reminds me of an old Firesign Theatre skit, where . . . well, maybe another time.
Old 05-07-12, 04:52 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
A guy I used to work with took his wife on her first mountain bike ride. Instead of taking her to the local gravel MUP, he takes her to the advanced trails at Harris Lake. She fell, repeatedly, got sick then they left. It was the last time she rode with him. Even the bike shops recommend newbies ride the local gravel MUP a few times before taking on the beginner trails in this area.
Old 05-07-12, 05:11 PM
dirtclod

Bikes: Haro beasley, Stumpy26"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's a "MUP" I went from clips, to clipless, now at 53 I'm happy with flats.

Took the wife out on her new Nishiki years ago. She was having ton's of fun (Flats) she washed out real
bad and was shook up! Held onto the bike for about eight years, pumped up the tires and gave it away
with one ride on it.
Old 05-07-12, 05:18 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtclod
What's a "MUP" I went from clips, to clipless, now at 53 I'm happy with flats.
MUP, Multi-Use-Path. The gravel MUPs are used by horses, joggers, runner and bikes. No motorized vehicles. Some of these paths were created by the Rails-To-Trails movement.
Old 05-07-12, 05:49 PM
dirtclod

Bikes: Haro beasley, Stumpy26"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Well even a MUP might be too much for a first timer, man or woman. In my wifes defense, we were coming back from a local easy MUP and she washed out going up a driveway at the wrong angle. Poor little thing I felt bad. It all worked out though, after about an hour she started looking at me again.
Old 05-07-12, 07:14 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took a girl on a first date to go mountain biking & then grab some food when I had just started two years ago. I was on my fully rigid Fisher, & she was on my Mom's FS Myka. The problem wasn't the difficulty of the trail, but rather the physical condition she was in. I had planned to do an easy 5 mile loop, & less than a mile in she's red-faced & panting like crazy, when I hadn't even broken a sweat.

And that day, I learned an important lesson: not all pretty girls earn their rockin' bodies.

We did end up going back a few times, but physical activity just wasn't her thing (whereas it's the apple of my eye) so we didn't last long. Oh, that & she was just one crazy freakin' chick!