Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheelset Recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheelset Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 07:34 PM
dexterchua84

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheelset Recommendations

Hi everyone, Im new on this forum..

Looking for recommendations to upgrade my bike's wheelset..

Riding a 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 2 right now and thinking of upgrading my wheels..I dont do races, just leisure road/park connector cycling distance of about 70-80km at a time but aiming to hit 100km..

Have been looking at Fulcrum Racing 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 Disc Brakes, a little more incline towards the Racing 4 and perhaps also the DT Swiss wheelsets..however, im not too sure what to look out for..can these fit my bike? What other recommendations are there where pricing are somewhat similar to these few models i have in mind...
Old 02-05-20, 07:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,099 Times in 1,189 Posts
What are you hoping to gain ?

Many folks upgrade to 1) Save weight. Expensive. 2) Replace a crappy wheel set on a basic bike due to spokes breaking, which is usually the rear wheel in any case, so maybe only a rear wheel needed. 3) Looks. Deep carbon wheels look great. 3) Have a set of racing vs. training/winter wheels. 4) Have a set of wheels with different tires - gravel bike with a set of big dirt tires, vs. a set of 25-28mm road tires.

Defining your goals helps us make a recomendation
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-05-20, 09:04 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What are you hoping to gain ?

Many folks upgrade to 1) Save weight. Expensive. 2) Replace a crappy wheel set on a basic bike due to spokes breaking, which is usually the rear wheel in any case, so maybe only a rear wheel needed. 3) Looks. Deep carbon wheels look great. 3) Have a set of racing vs. training/winter wheels. 4) Have a set of wheels with different tires - gravel bike with a set of big dirt tires, vs. a set of 25-28mm road tires.

Defining your goals helps us make a recomendation
Certainly hoping to shed some weight off the bike..From what i understand, the Giant PR2 wheelset that comes with the bike weighs in at approx 2kg.
Old 02-05-20, 10:13 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by dexterchua84
Certainly hoping to shed some weight off the bike..From what i understand, the Giant PR2 wheelset that comes with the bike weighs in at approx 2kg.
Those wheels are boat anchors, so it shouldn't be hard to drop a pound or more. How much do you want to spend?
Old 02-05-20, 10:18 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Those wheels are boat anchors, so it shouldn't be hard to drop a pound or more. How much do you want to spend?
Perhaps maybe in the range of USD 300-400? Basically the range of Fulcrum Racing 4, 5, 6 & 7 DB are in my range...
Old 02-05-20, 11:00 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I read a bunch of wheel reviews on-line back in December over the holiday and was getting ready to buy a set of big brand wheels. Before pulling the trigger I emailed Robert over at Psimet. A few emails and a phone call later I ordered a set from Psimet. Think I did better there than I would have elsewhere. Super knowledgeable guy.
Old 02-05-20, 11:07 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
I read a bunch of wheel reviews on-line back in December over the holiday and was getting ready to buy a set of big brand wheels. Before pulling the trigger I emailed Robert over at Psimet. A few emails and a phone call later I ordered a set from Psimet. Think I did better there than I would have elsewhere. Super knowledgeable guy.
Problem here is that I am actually from Asia, Singapore..
Old 02-06-20, 07:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 741 Posts
Mavic USTs will cost under $500 and include tires. Faster, smoother and more comfortable. And, of course, major flat protection.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-06-20, 09:51 AM
noodle soup

Perhaps maybe in the range of USD 300-400? Basically the range of Fulcrum Racing 4, 5, 6 & 7 DB are in my range...
In that price range I'd probably go with Fulcrum Racing 3 DB for $391.94 with shipping to Singapore.

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/f...19-149739.html

or DT Swiss R23 Spline Disc Clincher Wheelset for $259

https://planetcyclery.com/catalog/pr.../category/676/

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-06-20 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-06-20, 10:10 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Problem here is that I am actually from Asia, Singapore..
Did Soul Bike close shop? I purchased a Soul 4.0 wheelset from them a few years ago. They are located in Singapore.
Old 02-06-20, 11:32 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Lightbicycle has some pretty good wheels at very reasonable prices. Reputable company and good after-sales support. I just got a 1412gm / 36mm deep wheelset from them for a hair over $600. Dont have enough miles on those wheels to have an opinion on quality yet, but given the positive reviews they get, i dont expect any issues. Cosmetically, they look amazing.

My experience with Fulcrum has been meh. I have a pair of Racing Zeros with perhaps 4000-5000km on them and no major pothole impact, and they are out of true. By comparison, my Psimet wheels ran for years and years with zero fuss and zero truing issues. As an alternative to LB, consider opening a Shop'n'Ship account and getting wheels from him - you'll pay around $50 in shipment, and his wheels are flat-out amazing.
Old 02-06-20, 11:45 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by bruce19
Mavic USTs will cost under $500 and include tires. Faster, smoother and more comfortable. And, of course, major flat protection.
where are Mavic Ksyrium UST disc wheels available(with tires) for under $500?
Old 02-06-20, 11:54 AM
bruce19

where are Mavic Ksyrium UST disc wheels available(with tires) for under $500?
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...NhdDEwMDQ2NA==
Old 02-06-20, 11:57 AM
bruce19

I bought a set of rim brake wheels w/tires for under $500. That was about 6 months ago.
Old 02-06-20, 11:59 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3962 Post(s)
Liked 7,362 Times in 2,965 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Did Soul Bike close shop? I purchased a Soul 4.0 wheelset from them a few years ago. They are located in Singapore.
They still have a website -- last updated in January.
Old 02-06-20, 12:57 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by bruce19
I bought a set of rim brake wheels w/tires for under $500. That was about 6 months ago.
Those won't work for the OP, and the disc version is about $575 without tires.

The OP wants to keep it under $400
Old 02-06-20, 12:58 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
They still have a website -- last updated in January.
It's been much longer since they updated their product line..
Old 02-06-20, 01:25 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 437 Posts
Another place to consider is Hunt Bike Wheels.
Old 02-06-20, 01:29 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Neugent Cycling A220 Aero or A330AS are both outstanding.
Old 02-06-20, 02:59 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by surak
Another place to consider is Hunt Bike Wheels.
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Neugent Cycling A220 Aero or A330AS are both outstanding.
I wouldn’t consider either of these options because of issues with the hubs. A little searching will find many complaints about the hubs on Hunt wheels, and the Neugent hubs use a poor geometry that requires an insanely high DS tension.

I’m not a fan of Mavic wheels, but I’d give Mavic another try before buying Hunt or Neugent.
Old 02-06-20, 03:16 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 437 Posts
I wouldn’t consider either of these options because of issues with the hubs. A little searching will find many complaints about the hubs on Hunt wheels, and the Neugent hubs use a poor geometry that requires an insanely high DS tension.
I've never had an issue with the hubs on my Hunt Aero Light Disc wheelset, they're on my rain bike and get plenty of abuse. In fact, I quite like them, they spin very well and have a high engagement rate for the price. I've only heard about these supposed hub issues here, hardly what I would call many complaints.
Old 02-06-20, 09:23 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

I’m not a fan of Mavic wheels, but I’d give Mavic another try before buying Hunt or Neugent.
Much, much happier with my Neugents than I was with my Mavics. No comparison in terms of performance. Not everyond agrees that the geometry is poor.
Old 02-06-20, 09:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8299 Post(s)
Liked 9,088 Times in 4,492 Posts

I have a set of Ksyrium wheels and had multiple failures. Mavic warranteed the rear rim twice but the third time I paid for it. Broke spokes and I paid for that, too. Stopped using them and switched to Open Pro rims hand built on Record hubs.
Old 02-06-20, 10:43 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im currently leaning towards getting a DT-Swiss 350 32 holes hubs (front and rear with 36T ratchet) together with DT-Swiss RR481 or R500 rims to go with a pair or Schwalbe Pro One TLE..

I see that DT-Swiss has rims with rim height of 21mm, 23mm, 25mm and 32mm, personally prefer the mid-range (thus RR481 and R500). Also because they can support weight of 130kg which im quite close to..plus they are quite light too, 485g and 495g respectively..

Waiting to hear what price my local bike shop here in Singapore can offer..
Old 02-07-20, 08:44 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Much, much happier with my Neugents than I was with my Mavics. No comparison in terms of performance. Not everyond agrees that the geometry is poor.
Not everyone understands what a poor hub geometry is, but if you ask an expert like Psimet2001 I'm sure he would agree that Neugent hubs have a poor design.

I'm not surprised that you like the Neugent wheels better than your old Mavic wheelset. Those were boat anchors, so the weight difference is very noticeable.

Originally Posted by big john
I have a set of Ksyrium wheels and had multiple failures. Mavic warranteed the rear rim twice but the third time I paid for it. Broke spokes and I paid for that, too. Stopped using them and switched to Open Pro rims hand built on Record hubs.
I was referring to the new Mavic UST Ksyriums, not the old one that used proprietary spokes, and nipples(that thread into the rim. Their old hubs sucked too, and sourcing replacement parts was a pain in the ass(and expensive)

The new ones use traditional straight-pull spokes, and the hubs were redesigned to use a splined ring gear similar to DT.

I'm not a big fan of Mavic wheels, but I'd rather try their new ones than either Hunt or Neugent.

(edit) after looking at the Mavic website I see that they still use proprietary spokes on their wheels. For this reason I will never recommend their wheelsets.

I sill love the old Open Pros laced to 8 speed Record hubs on my Guerciotti, but even OPs quality declined in the later years.

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-07-20 at 09:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.