Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting bike rack for my GT

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 02:08 PM
INeedBikeHelp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am looking for a bike rack to fit my volvo xc60 (no hitch). Any suggestions? (doesn’t have to be brand new)

Preferably for two bikes

Last edited by INeedBikeHelp; 09-22-23 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-22-23, 02:51 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Does the car have a factory roof rack? With cross bars already in place, it should be easy to add some bike trays/clamps. If all you have are the side rails, it's still not hard, but will cost a bit more. Both Thule and Yakima have a great selection of roof-mounted racks. They're not a bad way to carry bikes; you just have to be very mindful not to drive into a garage, carport, or low awning when the bikes are on.

They're not cheap. I just checked Thule's website (because this is the brand I happen to prefer). Their roof racks for your car start at $560 and go as high as $760, with mostly cosmetic differences at each price point. Bike attachments are additional to this, starting at about $230 each. If you're serious about getting a good way to carry them, you *might* find it's better to install a hitch and get a hitch-mounted rack. Many of these are very easy to use, and very sturdy/secure.

Except for occasional use when I'm really in a pinch, I would not put bikes on the back of a car unless it's on a hitch-mounted rack. (With a Jeep, maybe a spare tire mounted rack.) In other words, there is no bumper/rear hatch mounted rack that I would recommend.

Last edited by Broctoon; 09-22-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-22-23, 03:25 PM
INeedBikeHelp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice, sadly I do not have a factory rack but I can install one. Is it possible to buy one (the brand you mentioned) used (my budget is around $350 for any rack)?
Old 09-22-23, 03:34 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
If you have factory mounting points (threaded mounting holes in your roof rails), you could procure mounting "feet" from Thule/ Yakima, and then find used racks from FBM or CL.
Not sure where you're located, there's a guy in MA that has tons of new and used Thule racks and mounting kits.
Old 09-22-23, 03:40 PM
INeedBikeHelp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, that helps a lot👍…Im in south texas but moving to NY. Could I have that guy’s contact info?

Last edited by INeedBikeHelp; 09-22-23 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-22-23, 05:12 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
What Year XC60?

From eTrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/trunkmount-2020_Volvo_XC60.htm

Note the caveats about potential for damage if used in 'anchor mode' (but I'll leave that up to you as I'm clueless as to what that could entail).

In your price range though.
Old 09-22-23, 05:36 PM
INeedBikeHelp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!!
Old 09-22-23, 05:38 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by INeedBikeHelp
Ok, that helps a lot👍…Im in south texas but moving to NY. Could I have that guy’s contact info?
I had to search CL for one of his ads- he has a rack for an XC-60, not sure of your year. He is an interesting character, has a pretty impressive collection of bikes as well. Not sure if he ships or not.
Here's link to one of his ads:
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sp...665557489.html
Old 09-22-23, 09:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
Please please please make sure you get a safe and trusted set up. Don't go for cheap make sure it is properly and safely installed no matter what you get and the bikes are properly secured and do not exceed the maximum weight per bike for the rack. You will always be fine if a bike comes off, maybe minor damage to car and bike but it could be rather fatal to someone behind you. Saving lives is more important than minor money saved and if the bikes are super important you want to keep them protected and if not then just get new bikes in NY.
Old 09-22-23, 10:37 PM
INeedBikeHelp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!!
Likes For INeedBikeHelp: