Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 11:03 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You didn't clean the new chain to remove the factory lube?
It's not strictly necessary but the chain does require a longer soak time and more agitation.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 09-26-23, 02:51 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You didn't clean the new chain to remove the factory lube?
Of course not. Melted wax will dissolve and dilute factory grease. Precleaning is largely pointless. Just dump it in straight from the package and swish well and you are done.
Old 09-26-23, 05:35 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Some people can touch their toes. I can barely touch my knees.
I can touch my knees without bending my toes.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 09-26-23, 05:56 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Of course not. Melted wax will dissolve and dilute factory grease. Precleaning is largely pointless. Just dump it in straight from the package and swish well and you are done.
Wax will dissolve factory grease? Let me doubt that.

My overnight-soak-in-a-jar-of-fuel trick does a great job and is basically effortless.
Old 09-26-23, 08:06 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Wax will dissolve factory grease? Let me doubt that.

My overnight-soak-in-a-jar-of-fuel trick does a great job and is basically effortless.
It will yeah. They're both non polar compounds which means they'll mix and dissolve in one another readily. However it does take some extra time for the factory grease to flush out from inside the chain and be completely replaced by wax. Kinda like it takes extra time for water to be replaced by wax if there's any inside the chain. Swishing helps a lot but just soaking for a long time should also do the trick.

I still solvent clean any new chains because the amount of debris and metal particles that comes out from a brand new chain is pretty gnarly. Solvent cleaning flushes all that out without them ending up in the wax.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 09-26-23, 09:44 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I've probably said something like this within the last 40 pages, but I suspect the chain lube (wax, or whatever) is there to prevent the plates and rollers from rusting. The actual pivot "lube" is a bound hydrophobic teflon-like surface applied to the pins and rollers at the factory and remains in place for the life of the chain.
Old 09-26-23, 06:38 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
That’s my thinking. Even if not, it works for me. Silky drive train to work this morning.
Old 09-26-23, 08:10 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Step 1: Purchase gasoline and put a quart or so in an approved container.
Step 2: Put a small amount of gasoline in a sturdy container, and swish the new chain about, an old toothbrush can expedite the removal of factory lube.
Step 3: Repeat Step 2 until the gas is not becoming contaminated with factory lube.
Couldn't be easier, cheaper, or (most importantly) more effective. Takes very little time, energy, or money.
Old 09-26-23, 08:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
mineral spirits would probably be a tad safer.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-26-23, 10:42 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I still solvent clean any new chains because the amount of debris and metal particles that comes out from a brand new chain is pretty gnarly. Solvent cleaning flushes all that out without them ending up in the wax.
From my observation, new chains keep spitting out metal shavings for a while before settling down. Therefore, I would periodically clean the wax pot with a strong magnet on a string when new chains are in use.

Another way of doing it would be to run the chain in with the factory grease before stripping and waxing it, so it can lose those shavings as it is run in, but that would contaminate the drivetrain with nasties and I don't fancy cleaning that stuff off my drivetrain, so the magnet thing is much less work overall and still keeps the wax pot clean.

The n+1 crowd may use that as an excuse to buy another bike "honey I really need this one to run in my new factory grease chains before they go onto the good bike with the clean drivetrain!"

Last edited by yaw; 09-27-23 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-27-23, 05:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
From my observation, new chains keep spitting out metal shavings for a while before settling down. Therefore, I would periodically clean the wax pot with a strong magnet on a string when new chains are in use.

Another way of doing it would be to run the chain in with the factory grease before stripping and waxing it, so it can lose those shavings as it is run in, but that would contaminate the drivetrain with nasties and I don't fancy cleaning that stuff off my drivetrain, so the magnet thing is much less work overall and still keeps the wax pot clean.

The n+1 crowd may use that as an excuse to buy another bike "honey I really need this one to run in my new factory grease chains before they go onto the good bike with the clean drivetrain!"
For what it's worth, I put a filter inside the pot so the chain doesn't touch the actual bottom. Keeps crap from sticking to it or getting inside.

Running a N+1 for 100-200kms before initial wax is a good idea too; it's not complicated to clean the cassette and chainrings.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-27-23 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-27-23, 09:33 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The actual pivot "lube" is a bound hydrophobic teflon-like surface applied to the pins and rollers at the factory and remains in place for the life of the chain.
If the "pivot lube" remains in place for the life of the chain, why even bother lubing or waxing a chain?
Old 09-27-23, 02:41 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I have a few questions regarding waxing:

1. Is ultrasonic cleaning the best way to prep a chain for waxing or should I get a new chain and wax that instead?
2.Is solvent cleaning a viable alternative to prepping the chain (my LBS provides this method)?
3. Should I consider waxing the cassette and/or even my OSPW jockey wheels?
5. Should I clean my chainring teeth prior to installing waxed chain?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-27-23, 02:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I have a few questions regarding waxing:

1. Is ultrasonic cleaning the best way to prep a chain for waxing or should I get a new chain and wax that instead?
2.Is solvent cleaning a viable alternative to prepping the chain (my LBS provides this method)?
3. Should I consider waxing the cassette and/or even my OSPW jockey wheels?
5. Should I clean my chainring teeth prior to installing waxed chain?

Thanks for any feedback!
1. No need for ultrasonic cleaning if one has good solvent. Best to start with a new or nearly new (i.e., < 200 miles) chain.
2. Yes, if one has good solvent, i.e., odorless mineral spirits. (This is not so easy to come by in SoCal.)
3. Wax is only for chains. No need to wax cassette. As for jockey wheels, just clean and use a lubricant recommended for the bearings.
4. Was there a question 4?
5. Yes, cleaning chain rings and cassette prior to installing a waxed chain keeps the whole drive train clean. But slightly dirty drive train components do not otherwise affect the function of a waxed chain, because the wax is between the moving parts of the chain itself.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-27-23, 03:13 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I would periodically clean the wax pot with a strong magnet on a string when new chains are in use.
Originally Posted by eduskator
For what it's worth, I put a filter inside the pot so the chain doesn't touch the actual bottom. Keeps crap from sticking to it or getting inside.
One more step, tool, or consideration to make this process work with ideal effectiveness. And we're still hearing "Chain waxing is so much better. It's not harder or more complicated. In fact, it's even easier than drip lube."

I'm sticking with my favorite drip lube. About every 200 miles (or however often I fee like doing it), I wipe down my chain, crank, and cassette, and then add more lube. The whole process takes maybe five minutes, doesn't require chain removal from the bike, and all I have to buy and store is a bottle of lube and a rag. But tell me again how wax is so much easier.

I think guys wax chains because they enjoy waxing chains, not because there are any major benefits. It's kind of like Hank Hill: "I"m going to change the oil in my truck. It's not due. I'm just changing it for fun."
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-27-23, 03:58 PM
yaw
should be more popular

eduskator I've also dropped a little metal rack in now that I removed the friction modifiers from the wax (https://www.bikeforums.net/23020467-post960.html). It works very well for people with plain wax bases, but commercial wax blends require a bit of agitation to get the additives into suspension, so in that case keeping the chain off the bottom isn't so effective because you'll have to agitate the whole mix to get the benefits of the additives, stirring it all up.

Broctoon Yeah it is well established that people who just want to wipe and lube, or are looking for minimal care, can't be fussed with the waxing thing and can safely ignore this space. The argument is not that wax is much easier than wipe and drip but that it is superior in terms of drivetrain efficiency and longevity. So waxing is for people who desire these benefits and/or enjoy that kind of process. One thing to consider is that people that wax never have to clean their drivetrains (cassette, chainrings, jockey wheels,...) because they stay clean, so worth factoring in in terms of time and fuss. Beyond that, people that get into waxing may want to improve their workflow or setup, but these steps are just incremental and highly optional. Your chain and my chain are beyond comparison based on our maintenance choices, and that is certainly ok.

Last edited by yaw; 09-27-23 at 04:03 PM.
Likes For yaw:
Old 09-27-23, 04:00 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
1. No need for ultrasonic cleaning if one has good solvent. Best to start with a new or nearly new (i.e., < 200 miles) chain.
2. Yes, if one has good solvent, i.e., odorless mineral spirits. (This is not so easy to come by in SoCal.)
3. Wax is only for chains. No need to wax cassette. As for jockey wheels, just clean and use a lubricant recommended for the bearings.
4. Was there a question 4?
5. Yes, cleaning chain rings and cassette prior to installing a waxed chain keeps the whole drive train clean. But slightly dirty drive train components do not otherwise affect the function of a waxed chain, because the wax is between the moving parts of the chain itself.
Great, those ultrasonic cleaners are expensive and take up a lot of space. A used crockpot and wax seem much more cheaper and don't take up as much space. Also in regards to the chain, would I be better off just getting a basic chain without special coating/plating since it's getting waxed anyways or it doesn't really matter? Question 4 is an enigma! Lol

Thanks!
Old 09-27-23, 04:09 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Great, those ultrasonic cleaners are expensive and take up a lot of space. A used crockpot and wax seem much more cheaper and don't take up as much space. Also in regards to the chain, would I be better off just getting a basic chain without special coating/plating since it's getting waxed anyways or it doesn't really matter? Question 4 is an enigma! Lol

Thanks!
I would still get a good chain just for the sake of more refined design and tolerances (and of course the 10g or so weight saving!!!!!!!). I use both Dura Ace and YBN. The great thing is that your waxed chains will last a hilarious amount of time, so the small additional cost will be spread over a long time of use.
Likes For yaw:
Old 09-27-23, 04:18 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Got caught in 10 minutes of heavy rain before getting home.

Plugged in crockpot upon arrival.

Ate dinner etc.

2 hours later wax is melted. Check chain; 1% so scrap.
Hi FH,

This note about 1% catches my attention. When's the last time you had waxed and checked that chain? It would seem that your chain has been out of spec for a while.

Originally Posted by yaw
The great thing is that your waxed chains will last a hilarious amount of time...
Especially at 1%. ​​​​​​​
Old 09-27-23, 05:24 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Especially at 1%.
I would be good to know if that chain was always run with wax and how many km are on it as I am hoping for some forum member real world data with some insight re riding conditions on this stuff. Just because rigged testing suggests 20,000km+ does not really mean much.

It will take me long to provide such data by the looks of it because I rotate several chains. The oldest probably has around 6 to 7,000km on it now, the park tool CC-4 doesn't look close to slipping in and it rides the same as the newest chain.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-27-23, 05:31 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by yaw
I would still get a good chain just for the sake of more refined design and tolerances (and of course the 10g or so weight saving!!!!!!!). I use both Dura Ace and YBN. The great thing is that your waxed chains will last a hilarious amount of time, so the small additional cost will be spread over a long time of use.
My main interest is extending chain longevity. Any extra watts or drivetrain efficiency is just an added bonus. After reading through this thread, it looks like I can wax without having to go through any complicated steps.
Old 09-27-23, 06:18 PM
yaw
should be more popular

My main interest is extending chain longevity. Any extra watts or drivetrain efficiency is just an added bonus. After reading through this thread, it looks like I can wax without having to go through any complicated steps.
Yeah, just strip a chain once and then dip it in wax whenever you feel like it.
Given your priority, If you end up buying a new chain for this, also strip your current chain (if still under 0.5%) and run them both!
Likes For yaw:
Old 09-27-23, 07:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Broctoon I do it bc it's cleaner. I hate getting my skin and/or clothing grimy from a lubed chain. It's also enjoyable to do as well at a relatively low frequency. Feels like arts and crafts time .
Old 09-27-23, 07:10 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I also never clean my chain or drivetrain any more. So if you're a neat freak personality (like me), it's a time saver as well. Before I'd have to do it so things wouldnt get all yucky.

Except 2 to 3 times a year I'll clean the whole bike with a hose, degreaser and an auto sponge. Then the drivetrain gets cleaned I guess. Like I don't intentionally skip it. But literally zero in between.
Old 09-27-23, 08:04 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by yaw
Yeah, just strip a chain once and then dip it in wax whenever you feel like it.
Given your priority, If you end up buying a new chain for this, also strip your current chain (if still under 0.5%) and run them both!
Is chain waxing also okay for gravel bikes as well? I've read some people opt not to wax their gravel chain, but I'm not sure what the consensus is on that? My gravel terrain here in SoCal tends to attract more dust and grit, so I usually mist hose my bike and wipe it down. My road bike doesn't get as dirty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.