Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to use front derailluer half shifting position?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 08:20 AM
Bobfjt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

Recently, I replaced my bike shifter and derailluers, using a microSHIFT R8 (2x8) system. I found that the R8 shifter for the front derailluer has a half shifting position between low and high chainrings. I can up-shifting to that position from the low, but can not find a method to down-shifting to that position from high. Does anyone know and teach me how to do it, please?

Thank you.

Last edited by Bobfjt; 09-29-23 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-29-23, 09:06 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
It’s called trim. There is an inner position, inner trim position, and outer position. It allows for a somewhat cross-chain situation without rubbing on the derailleur cage.

My 11 speed Campy Centaur works the same as your Microshift, will only go to the trim position when up-shifting. You just have to adjust your shifting patterns, or shift down and then back up a half shift.
Old 09-29-23, 09:30 AM
Bobfjt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you, Broctoon.

I will try to adjust the shifting patterns first.
Old 09-29-23, 10:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Trim should only be needed when you are in a cross chaining situation between the front and rear. Sometimes you'll hear the chain rubbing on the FD cage when in the last cog on the rear or even the one cog prior. It simply lets the FD move over a little bit to allow for the sharp angle that is being made in the chain line from rear to front.

If you add trim to help with the chain noise, then you need to remember to remove it if you shift the rear back in the other direction and don't shift the front to the other ring.

You really need to pay attention to how they tell you to set up the FD and adjust it in the instructions. Sometimes with Shimano FD's, the trim setting won't work well if things aren't adjusted correctly enough.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-29-23, 06:47 PM
Bobfjt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Trim should only be needed when you are in a cross chaining situation between the front and rear. Sometimes you'll hear the chain rubbing on the FD cage when in the last cog on the rear or even the one cog prior. It simply lets the FD move over a little bit to allow for the sharp angle that is being made in the chain line from rear to front.

If you add trim to help with the chain noise, then you need to remember to remove it if you shift the rear back in the other direction and don't shift the front to the other ring.

You really need to pay attention to how they tell you to set up the FD and adjust it in the instructions. Sometimes with Shimano FD's, the trim setting won't work well if things aren't adjusted correctly enough.
Thank you Iride01.

I do having the chain robbing FD cage problem. When I use the large chainring and shift to the last 2 large cogs, the robbing starts. When I use the small chainring and the smallest cog, it also robs but I can do up-shifting to the trim to handle it. I can not find a method how to get the front derailluer down-shifting from the high position to the trim. When I press the down-shift lever, the front derailluer put the chain to the low chainring. It does not keep the chain on the large chainring and move a little to the trim to resolve the robbing.
Old 09-30-23, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobfjt
Thank you Iride01.

I do having the chain robbing FD cage problem. When I use the large chainring and shift to the last 2 large cogs, the robbing starts. When I use the small chainring and the smallest cog, it also robs but I can do up-shifting to the trim to handle it. I can not find a method how to get the front derailluer down-shifting from the high position to the trim. When I press the down-shift lever, the front derailluer put the chain to the low chainring. It does not keep the chain on the large chainring and move a little to the trim to resolve the robbing.
Just realize that when you are in the big/big or the small/small, that there are virtually the same gear ratios available in the other chain ring or rings. So if you are going to need that ratio for more than just a minute to top a quick hill or rise, then find that other combo that give the same effort on the pedals. Might save some wear and tear on your chain and cogs as well as save you from the rubbing FD cage.

Usually for a 2x if in the big/big, then go to the small ring and shift 2 cogs smaller (by tooth count) on the rear. Vice versa for the small/small combo.
Old 10-01-23, 09:04 PM
Bobfjt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just realize that when you are in the big/big or the small/small, that there are virtually the same gear ratios available in the other chain ring or rings. So if you are going to need that ratio for more than just a minute to top a quick hill or rise, then find that other combo that give the same effort on the pedals. Might save some wear and tear on your chain and cogs as well as save you from the rubbing FD cage.

Usually for a 2x if in the big/big, then go to the small ring and shift 2 cogs smaller (by tooth count) on the rear. Vice versa for the small/small combo.
Thank you for your advise. I will try it.